A dumb router/modem question

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by death__machine, Feb 8, 2008.

1. death__machine

death__machine Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 270X TOXIC 2GBx2
    I always see that the routers out there in the market have ethernet ports.
    So ethernet is the port where you connect cables then connect the cables to a router and then to another computer right?

I want to use wireless internet, so are those routers different from the normal routers such as this

The ADSL service that i get over here is through a normal telephone cable, like the ones used in dial-up modems. All the wireless routers that i see have ethernet interface and ports, but no ports for a telephone cable to go in. Can anyone tell me where i am confused.. Also a good wireless router which is cheap and has a decent speed.

I read the sticky but i stil dont get it. :$

Thanks guys

2. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Hey!
    You are right, Ethernet is a standard for data transmission over wired connections. They support 10/100/1000Mbps depending on the equipment used. 1000Mbps is also referred to as Gigabit ethernet. WiFi routers use antennas to transmit data and the current standard is 802.11g (54Mbps).

A router is a router, it communicates two or more networks. A modem is a device that translates signals between two physically different mediums and connects to the provider or ISP. So ADSL comes through the phone line and the modem intermediates between it and another port. Modems can be USB (connected directly to the computer) or ethernet. If you want to connect a router to a modem, the modem must have an ethernet port.

Some routers do also have modem capabilities like this one:

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3CRWDR101A-75

(See page 3 of the quick installation guide on PDF for a pic of the ports)

It supports cable/DSL, has 4 ethernet ports and WiFi. Do you need more than that? :)

As for the requested suggestions, I am from Argentina and things cost differently here so I cannot suggest you a specific model. Brands?, 3Com (powerful) and D-Link (cheap) are good.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  3. death__machine

GPU:
    Thanks!!! That helped a Lot!!:D
    You do not wanna know the reason why i want wifi. Then also i am going to tell you :p.
    The current ADSL modem that i have is a alcatel lucent cellpipe2 connected to my laptop via a usb port. I tried out linux(acutally ubuntu) and i found no way of getting my pc on the internet(and linux requires you to download many updates and all through the console, so i can never use internet on linux) The first ubuntu on which i tested was a 7.06 or something but not the gutsy gibbon(7.10) so there was no internet. Then when i had installed gutsy gibbon, the os automatically detected my dell modem and then was searching for networks... This was great but i DONT have a wireless network... So thats why i am deciding to get a wifi modem/router.... Either both or a combo...
    Btw how much does a modem cost?And the modem is supposed to connect to the router and then the router will send out signals to be recieved by my pc. Am i correct?

And also suppose if i wanted to connect 2-3 Pcs would that be possible? Connect as in share internet or even share data?

4. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Why?, I don't get it :). You want wifi because Ubuntu wanted to look for networks? :). If you do for the free internet access, yes, you might have it, but at the cost of transmitting your private data through open air without proper encryption... ;). If you can access someone else's wifi network, others can do too!

They are cheap, but again, I cannot tell you numbers because I don't know how much they cost in Dubai. By the way, I love Dubai and its skyscrapers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just as when you connected using only your PC and modem, the router must be configured to supply a user name and a password, and it must support the PPPOE (Point-to-Point Protocol Over Ethernet) protocol to communicate with the modem properly. Most routers do, but be sure to check the specs before buying!. And if the router has four ethernet ports, you can use them to connect up to 4 computers which will share the same Internet connection (or up to 254 if you use additional hubs or switches). They will form a LAN (Local Area Network) so they will also be able to share data.

5. death__machine

GPU:
    Thanks Andrés
    I will buy one of these soon.

Dubai sure does has nice skyscrapers :)

6. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    I have a question.

I'm on a dual sata ii asrock uli chipset.

Using the onboard lan to connect to my router. I've noticed that my ms from lan to router is 99ms.

I've tried many solutions, nothing speeds it up, unless cable is too long.

router is a speedtouch st585 v6.

7. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    XG, i use to have the same problem and yes the cables too long, get a smaller one or go wireless, wireless was my choice, less hassle