Force Dualview

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by FabreLambeau, May 13, 2005.

1. FabreLambeau

FabreLambeau Guest

Hi,

I noticed that if you boot up a computer while there is only one monitor attached to the GeForce 9800, the Dualview is not available unless you reboot with both monitors attached.
    As soon as you plug in the second monitor (after the computer has booted), other modes (such as "Horizontal Span") become available, but not the "Dualview" one. It seem to require a reboot.

This is very inconvenient for my application. Is there any way I could force the GeForce 6800 to go into dualview mode whether there is 1, 2 or even 0 monitor attached to it?

Many thanks in advance.

2. JJLoke

JJLoke Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 6600 128Mb 300/530 @ 430/600
    there is no need to reboot, its jus plug and play. plug in ur 2nd monitor, go to nvidia control panel, click tools, then click detect displays, follow the steps and good to go

3. FabreLambeau

FabreLambeau Guest

Well, believe me, I have actually tried that.
    Unfortunately I found that *unless* I booted up the computer with both monitors connected, then "Dualview" is not available in the nVidia control panel.

So here is how I tested it:
    - Boot with only monitor 1 connected.
    - When in Windows, connected monitor 2
    - Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > GeForce 6800 GT > nView Display Settings
    - Clicked (several times) "Detect Displays"
    - Tried to change the nView Display Mode to Dualview only to find that in the drop down list only the following entries are available: "Single Display", "Clone", "Horizontal Span", "Vertical Span".

Also, another reason why such an approach (even if it worked) is not suitable is that the computer on which both monitors (actually projectors) are connected is an automatic display box that boots itself up at a certain time of the day, displays information without human intervention (no keyboard no mouse) and shut itself down again later on.

I really do need a way of forcing dualview at boot up, whether at the hardware level or at the driver level...

4. JJLoke

JJLoke Master Guru

GPU:
    did u select "clone" ?

5. JJLoke

JJLoke Master Guru

GPU:
    if u want the desktop to be shown on 2 monitors, u should select "clone"

6. FabreLambeau

FabreLambeau Guest

JJLoke,

I think you didn't get my point. I need DualView, not Clone. The two monitors will be completely independent and are treated so programmatically by our application.
    Now, I'll ask the question again, and if you don't know the reply that's fine, but please do say so: Is there a way, at hardware (jumper?) or software (driver setting) level to force the GeForce 6800 into dualview mode, no matter how many monitors are physically connected to the card?

Cheers,

7. JJLoke

JJLoke Master Guru

GPU:
    u didnt state clearly how u want the monitor to be projected at first, so i made an assumption. u want each montor to have its own display right ?

DualView is the package, "clone", "horizontal span" is the contents. have u tried horizontal span ? monitors and projectors work differently

8. FabreLambeau

FabreLambeau Guest

Well, maybe DualView is the package, but when I boot up the computer with both monitors and/or projectors connected, the drop list that contains "Single Display", "Clone", "Horizontal Span", "Vertical Span" *also* contains "DualView" which is the setting we want as it is the only setting that *really* makes the two outputs independent of each other.
    "Clone" shows the same image on both which is not what we want and "Horizontal Span" just stretches the desktop on both monitors which again is not what we want.

Our application displays animations on both projectors independently so that we can create an edge-blending solution... That requires a *pure* dualview setting, and not anything remotely like "clone" or "horizontal span".

Once again, I want to repeat that this pure dualview is achieved when the computer is booted up with both monitors connected. Unfortunately we run into problems with the projectors as sometimes they haven't had time to boot up and warm up properly by the time the computer box fires up with for consequence that the computer only sees one monitor. Hence: "Is there a way to force "dualview" value for the "nView Display mode" setting, either at hardware or software level.

9. JJLoke

JJLoke Master Guru

GPU:
    ok, i got wat ur saying, i came across this option for independent viewing, need to double check again ... play around with the settings first