PC sometimes does not shut down fully

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Darren Hodgson, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    My previous Cooler Master PSU died about a month ago and I replaced it with an 850 W XFX Pro Black Edition one as show in my specs.

I have had no problems using my PC but sometimes when I shut my PC down the blue Power light does not go out on the front of my tower case and my monitor screen is obviously still receiving a signal as it does not auto-power off as it does normally. I then have to press the Power button on my case to turn off the PC.

This does not happen all the time, perhaps once out of six to ten shutdowns but I'm puzzled as to why it is happening at all. It never happened at all with my previous PSU and despite shutting down manually when it happens my PC boots into Windows as normal, without any indication that it has been improperly shut down.

Should I be concerned?

Does anyone know why this happens? I am using the latest v2004 BIOS for my motherboard and as far I can tell it looks like it is the very last stage of the shut down that is not happening, i.e. the point where the Power LED on the case turns off followed by my monitor when it doesn't receive a signal for 10 seconds.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Which OS? Are there events about failed power off?

3. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    I have the same problem as you but for me even the monitor signal is not present. Only lights and fans are on. (it also happen less often :))

This might be due to the OC but honestly I do not think it is a problem since the OS is shutdown correctly.

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    My CPU is not over clocked though. Seems like some sort of compatibility issue with my new PSU as I never had it before in the four years I owned the CM PSU. It has happened twice today too.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Windows 8.1 Update 1 and, no, there are Event logs for improper shutdown.

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    might be some power issue on side of windows, try balanced vs high performance.

What i think it is, is some sort of issue with PSU, either directly or compatibility , try to talk with Asus or check XFX site for known issues.

Make sure no power saving stuff is enabled in the bios.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Have you tried to switch off Fast boot setting? Removing Hiberfil.sys?

Edit: I don`t know why are you talking about power supply incompatibility. To me it looks like some component of OS (system service or something) prevents the full shutdown and when you turn off power in such state it is treated as improper shutdown.

There are two values at
    "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Reliability":
    DirtyShutdown and DirtyShutdownTime - they are a part of improper shutdown tracking.
    So your OS is prevented from reaching that stage of shutdown process.

See also http://www.group-policy.com/ref/policy/2431/Enable_Persistent_Time_Stamp

Edit 2: Btw, is there difference in switching off from OS or by button?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ mbk1969 - As I explained in my post, this issue only started occurring since I installed a new PSU so my issue seems to stem directly from that as I have not changing any other Windows or BIOS settings, etc. I simply swapped out the old faulty PSU for the new one and since then this issue has been intermittently occurring.

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Hmm I had a similar issue but mine was not caused by swapping out a PSU. Mine would just sit at the welcome screen saying shutting down and nothing would happen. To me this was caused by a faulty driver install of my Xbox 360 controller and certain Steam games.

In your case it seems like to me that Windows is computer is activating the wrong command such as Sleep or hibernate instead of shut-down.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I was telling all that stuff about shutdown namely because you have events about improper shutdown. Which means Windows fails to reach stage where it clears shutdown registry values. I fail to see how PSU can cause such behavior.

11. spider

spider Guest

GPU:
    GTX760 OC 4GB
    I am having the same problem.
    What happens if you turn off the power switch of your PSU until the power led goes off and than imediatly turn the power switch to on?
    Does your system boots too?

Maybe its a relay in the PSU but I am absolutely not sure.

12. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I'd try two things first:

Clear CMOS, but ensure power states are enabled and

in Windows, restore the Balanced Power plan defaults.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I think the problem may have been caused by me unchecking the option for the PC to enable it to turn off power to one of my LAN ports. I unchecked it when I was trying to isolate why my PC would go into Sleep mode but not wake up from it.

I have not seen this issue in two days since I re-enabled it so, fingers crossed, it stays that way.