Distorted Sound From Soundblaster Z

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by coldshot, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Nah I mean the file you're trying to play...

Have you checked here?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  2. coldshot

coldshot Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 560TI
    I will upload the original mp3 when i get back. Cldnt find anyome with a similar issue on the creative boards. Will post there once the mods approve my registration.

I hate troubleshooting :wanker:

3. volly

volly Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    Hrmmmm...listening to track you supplied, it sounds as thou the sound is cactus! It does not sound like feedback to me. I wonder if it would have something to do with this "AC3 filter"?

Does this happen to all sound or just when you're listening to music/movie's/games via optical? Do Window sounds play funny as well?

Do you have a mic connected?!

And you say your last sound card worked fine? Perhaps try the motherboards onboard sound and see if you get the same issue, you should have SPDIF there too!

With the drivers are you using supplied drivers that came with the card? I remember when I had a creative card years back I use to certain effects to change the sound. Do you maybe have some effects selected? i.e concert hall.

I would bet money that your Creative card's optical out is DOA! One thing I would try is move the sound card to another slot and as far away from other peripherals.

4. coldshot

coldshot Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 560TI
    I found it hard to describe the sound problem as well. Never heard anything like that.

It only happens when i use optical out to my home theater. Audio from my PC is perfectly fine.

I don't have any mic connected.

I tried using both drivers that came with the card and the latest from creative. Still the same problem. I only have one PCIe slot in my mobo so it's hard to test it.

If i can't get it resolved by this week, will probably try to RMA the card.

Argh!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

5. volly

volly Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    Try the optical out on your motherboard and see if you're still getting the same effect! If the problem doesn't occur then it's definitely the sound card (or it's settings).

Correct me if I'm wrong but when running optical out to your receiver, it will bypass the Creative sound cards Dac and go through to the receiver to process the audio information.

Out of curiosity, what maybe you get the sound card?

6. coldshot

coldshot Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 560TI
    Unfortunately my mobo doesnt come with an optical out so i can't test that.

From what i understand, the card will encode to DDL and pass on the signal to receiver. Tried disabling the Pro Logic II in my receiver but it doesn't help. If i don't select for the card to encode to DDL, there's no audio outputting from my receiver.

7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    There should be a stereo to optical option in the adv option tab in your z panel. To send a stereo signal to the receiver.

8. coldshot

coldshot Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 560TI
    Is this the option you are talking about?

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=107538

Not quite sure what it does actually

9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Nah, The one I talking about is located in the creative Z control panel in the adv tab.