AMD: We're not abandoning socketed CPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2012.

1. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    now only if AMD would produce a cpu that could match/beat intels high end , well we can all dream lol

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My next build will be AMD regardless. Probably 90% of what I do is browse forums and watch movies. Don't exactly need a high-end system for that. Just sitting back, waiting for AMD's next APU generation to launch.

3. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Even if Intel was to go down the non socketed route, which I am pretty sure the report didn't say, but hypotheticals and all, not really sure what the big issue is?

Surely all this would do is force the Mobo / CPU market down the same route as the GPU market, i.e Intel release a reference design for the chip and mobo they have and then the board makers can chose weather or not to make their own version of it, make an OC'd variant, and for those clever guys out there take the chip and just stick it on a board of their own design. Okay so it will limit the potential number of CPU / Mobo combos that are out there but end of the day does it really matter?

I don't even think the issue with upgrading IS actually an issue either. If you chose smart when you build the rig you shouldn't need to upgrade. I got an I5 750 that is still ticking over nicely with no plans to upgrade it in the near future, even if I wanted to their are hardly any CPUs that support the socket now so I would need to buy a new Mobo anyway.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel is a company in transition, crazy ideas will be thrown around but it doesn't mean that they will come to fruition. They may do that for low power systems but that's it.

Glad to see AMD make their opinion clear. I hope they get back on track.