Power Supply FAQ

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Makalu, Feb 10, 2009.

1. branko47049

branko47049 Master Guru

GPU:
    G-A NX88T512H-B 512MB
    Cccccc these Chinese really know their work :D :p in delivering fake products.

Now, Makalu i am very very grandfull to you for your knowledge to give me to the PSU, now i know much more then those "experts" in IT where i live. I know you suggested me to buy some quality brand ,i wanted to but it that time the cheapest PSU of the white brands was CoolerMaster some 460~ W with pricing of >120 Euro , witch is much much more that i can afford (still better Rasurbo then Atrix- the other brand i can find).

Thanks again for your time and your contribution for our PSU knowledge

2. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah you made a good choice...the CM isn't much better than the Rasurbo for the money and the Atrix is a waste of money. Anyway it's working and it's made it through the initial two month or so high failure rate period so hopefully it'll last years.

And your welcome...I need to make some changes and still have some more units to put in the "good PSU's list" but I need to double check some stuff first.

3. BigDave

BigDave New Member

GPU:
    3XFX Nvidia 8800 GTX 1.5G
  4. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    hmm good question...pretty sure that only Tagan and ABS are marketing PSU's with the multicolored lit modular cables but I'm not aware of a 1200W model...just an 1100W and 1300W but they are both over rated by at least a 100W so maybe they decided to "fix" the labels ;)

anyway it'd be a Tagan and not an ABS since ABS is a subsidiary of Newegg and USA only

5. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
  6. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra

well none of them actually make PSU's and they use a variety of OEM's for different models but none of them are so bad as to make the crap list no. You can see a few of the OEMs for some of those brands models in the list here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=205763

I have some work to catch up with the changes at Raptoxx but they are hmm well nothing special but again nothing craptacular last time I looked. Enlight has been around for a long time and used many OEMs over the years...generally decent budget models...the Enlight Sniper 650 and 750 are an enthusiast grade model the same as the Antec EA650 but better trimmed out. POV's line up erm well the Black Diamond 500 is pretty crap yeah lol and the Topower ones are relabeled Tagan units with ok quality and POV slightly over rates the total watts by 50W IIRC.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  7. crabman

crabman Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 250
    Hi

Hi Makalu
    I was told you was the person to ask if it was a power supply question.hope you can help.
    I want to build a computer for my brother in law in the ukraine, i believe all the harware components are universal,no different to what is used in the uk & usa - my only concern is the power supply as they use 220volts in the ukraine.
    i am hoping that they would use exactly the same psu as us, so the only difference i hope is the power lead,would you be be able to confirm what the actual setup is,want to be prepared, i plan to build it here,make sure it all works,dismantle it and then build it in the ukraine,
    any help around the psu issue would be be greatly appreciated,would really hurt it i overlooked something really silly.
    take care makalu.
    kind regards
    paul

8. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah the only difference is the type of wall socket plug...a decent PSU will have active PSU and will automatically work with 110 or 220 volt mains and the cheaper PSU's will have a little red switch on the back that needs to be set first.

9. crabman

crabman Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 250
    thankyou

thats great news,many thanks for the info makalu.
    regs
    paul

10. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    your welcome...btw I meant to say active PFC will auto switch...not active PSU :bang:

11. dirtman

dirtman Master Guru

GPU:
    Makalu

Heres a question that could help some but maybe not.

Is it true that going way over what you need to run your system bad? Ex: If your only need like 550 Watts PSU and you get a 850Watts or even 1000Watts is that bad?

I do not think it is but i have a co worker that says its bad and not needed,I told him that its always better to go higher then what is needed just to be on the safe side and he claims its not needed and just get around the amount of power you will need.

Hope you understand what im asking, Thanks.

12. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    It's not bad at all. Your PSU gives what your computer needs. Nothing more, nothing less.
    So, if your computer needs 300W a 550W PSU will deliver 300W same as a 1kW PSU.
    The only difference is efficiency. A 550W PSU could be more efficient at 300W load than a 1kW PSU at 300W load.

13. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah some PSU's have very poor efficiency below 10-20% load levels and most single GPU systems only use around 150W if they aren't running a program that loads the GPU or CPU so 1kw+ units aren't a good match for that but otherwise it's not bad...just pointless.

14. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    What would you recommend for a HD4890 with my specs?

I'v got about £75/$110 to spend.

15. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra

16. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Thanks i decided to go for the Corsair HX620 which i will pick up next week.

17. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    good choice...you'll be very happy with that

18. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Hey!

I'll ask also then:p

I was thinking of putting together a new system for myself and I wanted a modular PSU.

At first I thought of taking Corsair TX750w psu, but then I decided that I want a modular, since you can do better cable management with it and here are my options...

FSP Everest 800w or Tagan Piperock 800w? Tagan is a bit more expensive, so I presume it is better:3eyes:

Or would the Corsair HX620 do for me?

The specs would be:
    PhenomII X4 810(possibly OC)
    2 sticks of Kingston HyperX 1066mhz @2.3volts(i think) 4gb altogether
    Gigabyte 790GX chipset mobo
    1 WD 640GB hard drive
    1 dvd drive
    and possibly HD4870X2
    Cooler Master 690 case

Here's the link for the full story...
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=294718

19. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah the Tagan is a good unit...the FSP design flakes out when it tries to do 800W...the Corsair 620 would be fine yes

20. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Ok man, thanks for the reply!

I did hear about FSP's being crapper when they go over 800w range, just needed a conformation:p

Right now I think I'm gonna go for Corsair 620 and I got one more question though.

I would like to mess around with the nVidia's PhysX thingy, so I could add my 8600GTS and use it as a PhysX card... I'm not sure how exactly that standalone physx card thingy works:3eyes:

The mobo which I'm planning to get has 2 pcie slots, so if I'd insert 8600GTS in the second slot would it work and would the Corsair 620w PSU be enough to feed the pc? I'm not planning to put in the 8600GTS and use it 24/7, but only when I'd like to play a game with PhysX support:p

The specs would be:

PhenomII 720
    Gigabyte MA790GP-UD4H mobo
    4gb 1066mhz ram
    1 HDD
    1dvd drive
    HD 4870X2 with 8600GTS as physx card

So would the psu be enough and is that physx even that necessary?