The Official Guru3D Mac Thread

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by orenda635, Sep 20, 2006.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Yeah, I've got an extra 30 gb hd here I can try it out on. Hopefully this one will work.

2. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Actually from what i have read it should be a little easier on a laptop. It seems to pick up onboard devices allot easier. (internet etc.)

But tbh, i just set up a dual boot system (basic partition) and its not like i can do much harm really. (not to windows anyway). And besides you will be using a seperate HDD so no worries m8.:) Maybe you will more luck than i am having.

Btw, OS X kicks ass, so smooth and quick, and things just...and dont know how to put it...seems to make sense and work! First impressions are good ones.:) although getting used to all these terminal commands is hard for a long time XP user.

3. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    No luck on my end...=[ Still ACPI problem...Don't know how to fix it either. D:

4. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Ok here is the thing.........i came to a conclusion. I am going to install MacOSX on my laptop but the thing i want to know is on whether i can Dual-boot between WinXP and OSX. BTW i have 2 separate partitions (not physical) on my laptop so i am putting the MacOSX on the 2nd one.

5. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
  6. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Have you got it running on your primary rig yet Scoutingwraith. I'd like to know how it runs since we pretty much have the same setup.
    I'm up to 56% after 25hrs since Friday.

7. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Yep, doesn't seem to be a problem. I am doing it right now. XP is same as always, OSX is better lol:) If i was able to connect to the internet when i am in OSX i would not have to use XP, but i cant.:mad: the install CD for my virgin.net account doesn't install properly so there is a 'Modem problem' when i try to connect. By following the wiki's instructions, when booting it only gives you like 2 seconds to quickly choose between XP and OSX, so remember to change that.

8. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Nope not yet. I just burned the DVD and not i am going to test it. (as of this post :D)

Will get more info later when i am through with it.

EDIT: So far so good.

Hey guys i was wondering if you can use GRUB to Dual-boot between OSes

EDIT 2: So i burned the DVD and started installing the OS. Lets say that after 2 tries to install it i was unsuccessful because after the whole setup is complete and my computer has to restart because of the setup but after the restart i get something like apple.boot missing file parameter.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  9. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    scout- The easiest way to dual boot, is the chain0 method, I've got a link in my earlier post.

10. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    The thing is that i used a clean Hard-drive to install the whole OS and i did it on my Desktop.

11. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Then you need a partition manger to split one, or make one. I suggest using Partition magic.

12. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Dual boot huh. This how I'm going to set it up
    C:\ 80gb SATA Physical Partition Windows XP Home
    F:\ 80gb PATA Physical Partition Storage
    G:\ 40gb PATA Physical Partition OSx86

So if I understand correctly, the Chain0 method should work fine.

I'm still downloading. :p
    I should really just leave it to download all night.

13. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The way I was gonna set it up.

80 gb Master-40 to Windows, 40 to Os X
    40 gb Slave-20 to windows, 20 to mac
    USB 30 gb-Windows
    Another Usb 50-Mac
    100 gb usb-Windows, since the server files are on this harddrive, along with my movies and music.

I might get a seta drive, and pick up an extra 60 gb for windows, and just give the 40 gb to mac, if I can figure out how to get it to even WORK that is. =[

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  14. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Well i am going to give the OSx Project one more chance but this time on my old PATA WD80GB hard-drive.

@Orenda.......have a question for you. When you install an PATA drive along with your SATA one which one does the system sets to default for booting?
    Because on my motherboard it sets the PATA and i cant find an options to enable SATA to be the primary bootable hard drive. The only way i can boot it is through the F11 menu

15. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Sata from what I understand, is a bitch to install osx86 on....

16. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    By default it is PATA. I am running XP on my SATA drive though. I can't remember how I did it though. I'll send you a PM once I figure out how.

Just goes to show that PATA HDDs are not a dead technology yet. That's why I'm thankful for the 939Dual. One of the few mobos still on the market that still has two PATA ports.

17. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Yeah, im afraid i am slowly but surely losing interest. I cannot seem to force it to change the rez, so it looks horrid for starters. Then i cannot get connected to the internet either, in the list of modems it lists mine and i chose it, but when i try to connect it says there is a Modem error. and my install CD doesn't seem to work properly ("properly" being as it did in XP) so that really bugs me, since having the net on it was KEY. I never encountered a single error during installation. But really it is just sitting idle on my HDD. Now and again i have another go at hitting in some commands in the terminal but i am not very used to it and i dont even know how to save what i have been doing properly:p.

I wont give up just yet, since it is only minor things that need to be addressed but 'minor' to others is DIFFICULT to me lol:)
    Its a shame because now that i have had a taste of OSX, i feel sad that i have to revert back to (by comparison IMO) crappy boring XP. ill get there eventually i hope. A perfectly 100% working OSX on pc hardware (my hardware lol) would be ideal for me. we will see.

18. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If you read the FAQ, or guides on osx86, it says in almost every guide "osx86 is not easy." osx86 is still not perfected, but worth it in the end when it's done. There is still high compatiblty problems with osx86, not perfected yet. Although. for reschange, you need the macvidia drivers, and a certain .kext file to download for QE/CI and full acceleration. It's hard work, but with the right hardware, you can have a really good mac and not pay as much.

19. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ooo. Another cult member. :thumbup:
    You're just going through our secret cult hazing. :smack:
    Don't worry, you'll get it. If not, you can probably pick up a used PowerPC iBook cheap right now and run OS X 10.4 natively.

Still downloading believe it or not but it should be finished sometime overnight.

20. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    True. I am heading out to dubai on the 21st so i will see what can be had there for cheap.:)
    I feel for you on the download, i think i could have put it on another DVD and shipped it out to you in quicker time lol.

vbetts: i understand, its a work in progress. As i said i wont give up, i shall continue to read pages and pages of info and guides lol. I will get there eventually.:)