Nokia will adopt Windows Phone as its primary smartphone strategy

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Tat3, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    First phone is under development atm and Nokia will get some features to their phones which arent available to others.

Open Letter from CEO Stephen Elop, Nokia and CEO Steve Ballmer, Microsoft

Source: http://conversations.nokia.com/2011...n-elop-nokia-and-ceo-steve-ballmer-microsoft/

BTW: My post count is now over 9000! :)

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Well Symbian is just about dead, Meego never had a chance honestly, but I wouldn't have gone with WP7. WP7 is a nice OS, don't get me wrong. But Android right now is what's selling.

3. thecake90

thecake90 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    Hmmm could this be a sign of thing to come considering you're Finnish yourself :)

I for one welcome this change, Nokia makes good hardware and WP7 looks promising~! I sure hope they won't abandon meegoo though I want another n900!

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Going Adroid would have been giving up and there would be nothing which would stand up from other similar phones.

With Windows mobile, Nokia is the only company which can change the UI and modify about everything what they want, they got permission from MS to do that. So Nokia will stand up from other companies.

5. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/nokia-will-be-able-to-customize-everything-in-windows-phone-7/

Plus, if Nokia wanted to then they could create their own ui replacement for Android, HTC did with Sense. Plus Android is so easy to customize on your own.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  6. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Good riddance to Symbian, my last Nokia was an N97 Mini and I thought it was great, then I got an Android...

7. Musouka

Musouka Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX970
    Not surprising seeing how Stephen Elop, the new CEO, is an ex-Microsoftie

Also:

8. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    They did the only thing they could do to attempt to survive. They couldnt bring anything to the android table that doesnt already exist, their own OS suck, they cant use apples, and no one would ever want RIM....so the only open OS left that is a nice OS but no one cares is win7 mobile...so...if they can crank out some nice things they might just survive another year.

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    they are keeping symbian for cheap phones, meego they will keep for other stuff and i believe in windows 7 phone thing. It looked really nice when i saw it in action.

this might mean nokia is back in business they are still second biggest after android lol wat :) tho supposedly in all phone market nokia still biggest and samsung second

10. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    So... No more nokia unless i get good used N900

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    And on this note, makes more reason to ditch Nokia for me. I don't like Windows Phone 7 one bit. Symbian was crappy, but I don't like Windows Phone 7 even more.

I had higher hopes with MeeGo or them going Android, I'd definitely buy a Nokia if they went Android.

deltatux

12. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Why not? Everyone I know has said that the Windows phone OS is very solid. Only thing that is a bit lacking is the marketplace UI I heard. Also consider the amount of C# .net developers, the amount of apps for that platform will probably explode.

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I find the interface cluttered and Windows Phone is quite lackluster in terms of features and it's quite closed imo. Apple has the lead in terms of apps, and Android being open and having that much more devices makes it have that advantage.

Generally this is how most of the market looks like:
    • iPhone - those who love Apple products anyways or looking for a phone that's more like a toy
    • Blackberry - those in business or just have one because they think BBM is the next big thing since sliced bread
    • Android - highly favoured by geeks (myself included) and favoured as an iPhone alternative.
    • WebOS - not sure why HP didn't just ditch it for Android ... but still catered to those who likes Palm devices and is HP's answer into the fray of consumer electronics.
    • Windows Phone 7 - Microsoft's "me too" solution to the market, looks just like how it's a reaction to Apple's iPod when they did the Zune. Only really appeals to Microsoft fanboys.
    • Symbian - Nokia loyalists and for poor people who can't afford expensive phones
    • MeeGo - "are we there yet?"

Of course this is my opinion and is not necessarily hard facts but that's how the market seem to break down like.

Personally, people I know use these: Android (maybe 80%), iPhone (maybe 5%), Blackberries (10%) and Symbian (5%).

I don't know anyone who wants a Windows Phone 7 though.

deltatux

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  14. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    I want Linux in my phone if possible.

15. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    Currently the only thing about Windows mobile platforms that I like is the UI. For anything else, I find Android to just whoop it in functionality. Thankfully Android can be modified to have its UI look like pretty much anything, including other mobile platforms.

16. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I believe Ios is Unix based, and Android is Unix based. There are Ubuntu builds for the HD2.

17. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I fear this may well be the death knell of Nokia in the smartphone space, as opposed to the solution.

While Symbian definitely needs a better UI, and browser, WP7 is functionally inferior to S^3 on an almost unimaginable level.

Right now I can use my gf's N8 to stream video from an attached USB stick and straight out to the big screen using HDMI. WP7 can't even do USB mass storage mode without dedicated Zune software.

Maybe I'm wrong and this unholy alliance will produce a true genesis of software but I can't see it.

It's certainly turned myself away from Nokia for the forseeable future.

18. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Imho, this will be a fail for Nokia..
    They should either go Android, or re-develop Symbian.
    But still, with Android being open-source, which is currently the most selling OS on mobile devices, they would do alot better..

19. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    iOS uses Darwin, which in itself uses a non-UNIX kernel, the UNIX part comes from its FreeBSD userland. So iOS is a hybrid-UNIX. Strangely enough, Apple was able to get Darwin UNIX certified only on Intel processors.

Android is Linux based and Linux is UNIX-like, it does not share, use or otherwise incorporate any UNIX code and is not UNIX certified.

deltatux

20. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Nokia could of used palm os....

Man if nokia had Android, Ill so buy straight away.Sick of my ****ty motorola backflip.