Confused: Nvidia dropped CUDA support?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by flexy, Aug 1, 2014.

1. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    Can anyone clarify? Why?

2. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
  3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Some misinformation on there too, just in case you don't see the correct post...

4. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Yup, and I guess Nvidia is also giving misinformation too, because of the marketing.
    When they provide NVCUVID, they tell every converter dev for saying it is CUDA to promote CUDA, but they don't think what will happen when they stop supporting NVCUVID.
    And most converter tell the users it is CUDA, when they know it is NVCUVID api that use CUDA, they are not using CUDA api directly as this will need a lot of works, just like PhysX.

Anyways, Nvidia will not stop supporting CUDA, as most of the CUDA apps are on SuperComputer, and so did many PhysX games.

5. Ital

Ital Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080 AMP
    Just a minor correction. The proper name for the CUDA-based video encoding API is NVCUVENC. CUVID is the CUDA-based video decoding API used for hardware-accelerated video playback.

While NVCUVENC has indeed been removed by Nvidia starting with the 340.43 driver, CUVID is still available on all cards supported by the driver and I don't believe it will be removed anytime soon. An example of software that can use CUVID is the MPC-HC media player.

6. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Thank for the correction, and I think they might remove it to support HEVC in the future?
    So far only Intel support HEVC decoding via DVXA2, even it is software decode by GPGPU and only Haswell support it, I wonder when the other will also support it like this.

7. Ital

Ital Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080 AMP
    Supposedly the second generation Maxwell (800-series) will have a dedicated hardware HEVC decoder. I imagine that it would be easier for both Nvidia and media app developers if Nvidia just adds H.265 HW-decoding support to NVCUVID rather than create an entirely new API for it.

Also, H.264 won't disappear overnight so it wouldn't make sense for Nvidia to remove HW-accelerated decoding for it by removing NVCUVID anytime soon. ShadowPlay uses H.264 and until a dedicated H.265 hardware encoder is available for Nvidia GPUs and ShadowPlay is updated to use it, support for H.264 will still be around.

But then again, Nvidia did a silly thing by removing NVCUVENC without telling anybody while most popular video encoding apps still don't support NVENC yet, so who knows? We'll just have to wait and see. :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  8. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Yup, so far only most streaming/recording software support NVENC, I guess they are lazy to support NVENC after they supported NVCUVENC. ;)

9. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    It's the same generation, same architecture.

10. Ital

Ital Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080 AMP
    Do you have a reliable source for this information?

The first generation Maxwell GM107 GPUs are used in the GTX 750 and 750 Ti cards. AFAIK, the second generation Maxwell GM204 GPUs will be used in the upcoming GTX 880/870 cards which will be released no sooner than Q4 2014. Supposedly the GM20x GPUs will feature integrated ARM processor cores and dedicated HEVC HW-decoder which make them quite different from the GM107 GPUs architecturally.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

11. Ty321

Ty321 Guest

GPU:
    512mb
    Hello everybody!

I have a question.

How i can enable CUDA support to convert video in 340.64 driver? An user modified the 340.52 driver and enabled CUDA support, but I would like to activate it for this version of the driver (340.65), could someone tell me how to modify the driver to enable CUDA?

Thanks!

12. sprocketgearzz

sprocketgearzz Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 660 2GB DDR5
    use Mod driver 340.52