Windows 7 and USB joysticks / gamepad

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by yleclerc, Nov 16, 2009.

1. yleclerc

yleclerc Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    Has anyone else also been having problems setting up USB joysticks / gamepads in Windows 7? I have a Saitek Cyborg Rumble gamepad that the Saitek Windows 7 32 / 64 bit drivers does not detect.

I have sent a support email to Saitek and I am waiting for a reply.

What can I try, while waiting?

2. dshramek

dshramek Guest

Buy a 360 controller? Honestly...it is probably the best controller for a pc.

3. yleclerc

yleclerc Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    I never did like the Xbox controller style.

Also, my Saitek Cyborg Rumble gamepad is working find in XP and was working correctly in Vista.

I'm just asking if anyone else has had problems install a gamepad / joystick and how to adjust the configuration in Control Panel?

4. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Odd, my Saitek P990 gamepad works fine. Try manually downloading the drivers; Windows does tend to be a bit behind on some of the driver updates...

5. yleclerc

yleclerc Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    That's just it. The Cyborg lists out in "Device and Printers" but Saitek's own driver install process does not detect the gamepad. I can not get the drivers to install without use their install (aka setup) process.

6. yleclerc

yleclerc Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    I got my hands on a Xbox 360 controller for Windows and it is working fine.

I also got a reply to my email query from Saitek (Madcatz) and they state not to use the "download" driver install. Windows 7 will automatically install the correct drivers, which is true to a "certain" point. It installs the drivers and the gamepad configuration panel works but if the Rumble "effects" test is "enabled," I get a Windows "shell" crash. Turn off the Rumble tests and it works.

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    you will love the xbox360 controller eventually. i know i did. i was sceptical in the beginning, but the weight , shape, and wireless totally owns :)

btw i do hope you bought a recharge cable as well :)

8. yleclerc

yleclerc Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    I got with "wired" model and not the wireless one.

9. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Here's an update: 7 does not live multiple joysticks plugged in at the same time. My USB Joystick and Gamepad sometimes conflict (only one picked up) in some programs (worked fine in Vista/XP...). Try unplugging other input devices and see if that helps...

10. yleclerc

yleclerc Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    I am aware that the gamepads might conflict if both are connected at the same time. I have not! I'm attempt to get the Saitek one to work correctly and I have just tried out the Xbox one so as to see if any gamepad would work

11. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    Logitech Rumblepad 2 user here since 2004 (before the x360 pad came out)
    apparently, logitech still fully supports it and im using their windows 7 64bit drivers :)

@yleclerc: how about using some xbox360 pad emulator?

12. yleclerc

yleclerc Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    I got the Saitek Cyborg 3D Rumble gamepad to install. The rumble features crash the configuration panel.

Also, if I also have a Xbox 360 pad, why would I need to use an emulator?

How do I check for the rumble to see if it works?

13. Quatrix

Quatrix Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    1. There's rarely a conflict between different gamepads themselves. The few issues I've run into were all due to poorly-coded games. My Saitek P2600 and XBOX 360 controllers work just fine together. The "7 does not (let?) multiple joysticks plugged in at the same time" comment is completely wrong.

2. I use the XBOX controller for most games, but the Saitek works better for games that use the directional pad or need six buttons on the face (Street Fighter IV especially).