Building a PC- need help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Shadeor, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Shadeor

Shadeor Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
    Alright so, I'm building a new PC through a shop's website and I need some advice about what should I get. My current rig is pretty old and I can barely run the games that are out today.
    My budget's up to ~2000 bucks (if there's a possibility of saving some money, I'll go for it). Also, I'll keep you updated if any of the parts you mention are actually available for purchase.
    I want to get a totally new PC, parts, case, everything.
    Thanks, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hi is that $2000 USD and do you have a link to the store website? What games do u play and what res?

$2000 USD will get you a monster system, question is do u really want to spend that much? lol

3. Shadeor

Shadeor Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
    Yeah, the point is to spend it so I won't have to upgrade in the near time, 4-5 years.
    The website is Israeli but it has most of today's gear from all over the world.
    I play a lot of games, if I was able to run them I'd be playing most of the new ones.

4. Timo2

Timo2 Guest

GPU:
    9600m GT (280 burned out)
    Hi Shadeor. I'm also getting ready for a new system. Right now I am rejecting Haswell/z87 because of the insane prices. I am actually interested in an FM3+ APU MSI board. 1/3 of the price of equivalent Intel motherboard. I have chosen my case (Fractal R2) and K/B (K70).
    For gaming our focus should be on the finest GPU and monitor. That is where we spend our savings.
    My advice right now is wait 2 weeks for the AMD Hawaii launch. Let's see what AMD release.

5. Shadeor

Shadeor Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
    Um, I'm more of an NVIDIA person, most people tell me it fits more for gaming.
    My birthday's coming up and I thought about getting the beast for it, nothing else caught my eye besides a new pc. My monitor's fine but I don't think the GPU supports 1080p.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

There is no such thing as a safe PC for 4-5 years. Sometimes to reach that point, it would be better to put that extra money aside and upgrade at the midpoint. It's very much a balance thing between choosing something good and being realistic :).

The people who say Nvidia are a better fit for gaming are just pro-Nvidia, if ever they try and show you a comparison make sure it's a realistic one, such as between two cards of the current generation and pricepoint (for instance, not a GTX770 against a HD7870), and of course with a similar CPU, RAM etc, and the latest drivers. It's so easy to cherry-pick (picking comparisons to suit your argument).

A Hawaii based AMD GPU at the end of the year will absolutely be your best choice. A lot more games are being optimised with the help of AMD, and the majority of future games will be considering the next gen consoles are x86 based (AMD) and running AMD GPU hardware.

Nvidia also aren't currently 'future proof'. AMD HD7000 series support Directx 11.1 and 11.2, as will the Hawaii based GPU's, Nvidia don't currently (until next year).

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    CPU wise I'd go intel. Haswell isn't a bad bet, fairly efficient architecture and not too badly priced. 4670K would probably be enough CPU wise, maybe non-K if you don't plan on overclocking. GFX wise, AMD have new stuff out soon so I'd see what that brings performance wise before jumping on the nvidia bandwagon.

8. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 290X
    If you're going to spend that much don't go with AMD for the processor. Intel is way ahead and unless you're building a sub $1000 build you need not go with AMD. A 4670k or even a 4770K should keep you fine for about 4-5 years easy. Heck I've had an e8400 for almost 5 years now and I'm just barely starting to think to upgrade... I'm planning on building another system and going with a 4770K soon.

As for video cards AMD and nVidia are roughly neck to neck as far as I know. I think most people either pick what they've been loyal to or they just get the best bang for yer buck. As for me I'm the latter.. I've owned AMD and nVidia cards. What ever you do I wouldn't skimp out on the CPU or mobo for a better video card. IMO cpu's hold their value and performance a lot longer than video cards do... You always hear gpu's being bottle necked by CPU and not the other way around. Plus it's easier to upgrade a video card than it is a cpu and plus you have the option to crossfire or sli down the road if that's your thing.

9. Shadeor

Shadeor Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
    I could take the time to wait for the 800 series, It's just that I want to get the new rig this month. I've been thinking about going with the i5 4670K, side question, the store I'm buying from has a Box version of the CPU and a Tray one, Box one costs more, I'm wondering what's the difference (difference between the prices is roughly $10).

Regarding GPU's, I was thinking about the GTX770 Classified 4GB (no I idea what Classified stands for in this case), by EVGA.
    I know Titan is out there but it's just way above my savings.
    Say I'd eventually go with AMD, I take it Radeon HD 7970 is something I can compare the GTX770 with?

The 4770K is still not available here, and I've also had this PC for about 6 years hah.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

This might sound a bit biased, but I wouldn't be buying a Nvidia card at the moment because they have been slack (yet again, like with Directx 10.1) and not implemented the new Directx 11.1 (and 11.2) yet. Although 11.2 is software enhancements, not sure if a Directx 11.0 card can make use of it. Since the Xbox One is Directx 11.2, we will probably see Directx 11.2 games coming in the not to distance future.

Overall though, it's about balance, and common sense buying. I wouldn't say any build is good for 4-5 years, as you don't know what the future in technology may bring. A more realistic estimation is 2-3 years, which brings me back to my point about realistic and balanced spending now means you may have some left over, which you can start to put towards a future upgrade. Also you existing parts will be worth more in 3 years than 5, to help you reinvest in an upgraded system. For instance, Intel CPU's are supposedly Ivy Bridge > Haswell (current) > Broadwell (2014/2015) > Skylake (2016) > Cannonlake (2017).

11. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Don't know why you keep saying this when gaming features of 11.1 are supported and DX11.2 was displayed on a GTX 770:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I5TEpAnuEg

@Shadeor, wait to see if AMD's launch changes prices on current GPU's. $2000 will make you a killer rig :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Ah ok :)

Well, in any case, Nvidia cards may have a small price cut after the new AMD cards are released, depending on performance vs cost, so either way you probably won't have too much of a reason to regret waiting a few weeks.

13. Shadeor

Shadeor Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
    I'll be recruited to the army in about 2 years and I'm trying to lay my hands no something that will push all the up coming games to their limit. If 770 will do it I'll go with it, it's fairly cheap.

14. Shadeor

Shadeor Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
    So I pretty much decided on the parts and I just need some final tips, if I should improve something or instead save money.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K 3.4Ghz 6MB L3 Cache s1150 - Tray

CPU fan: Arctic Freezer 13

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO s1155 Core i3/i5/i7, Intel Z77, DDR3 XMP, 3xPCI-E, VGA, HDMI, DVI, DP

RAM: G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz PC3-12800 F3-1600C11D-8GNT

GPU: Gigabyte GTX770 2GB GDDR5 DX11 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E

HDD: Gigabyte GTX770 2GB GDDR5 DX11 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E

SSD: Corsair Force LS CSSD-F120GBLS-BK 120GB SSD Sata III MLC Retail

Sound card: Creative Audigy SE 5.1

PSU: Corsair HX1050W Silver Active PFC 14cm Fan Modular

Case: HTPC CASE Micro-ATX Cherry-81 Black With 350W SFX PSU

Everything fits, or should I change something? I'm mostly worried about the fan and case.
    Also, there's something called Case Cooler, not sure about the exact term, should I get it as well?

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You have a 1155 motherboard selected it will not work with the 4670K you need a 1150 like this one or like this one.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

16. Shadeor

Shadeor Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
    Err, there's no PRO in stock, only K, C, A and Plus.

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Plus would work great for your needs.

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I still reckon DDR3-2133, if the price is not much different to DDR3-1600. I notice the case you chose comes with a 350W PSU... Obviously that isn't suitable, do you have other case choices that meets your need, without the PSU? Why pay for something you can't use? I doubt that it would be an expensive quality PSU, but if the PSU that come with the case is utter crap, what does that say about the case itself? Just a thought.

I did manage to find the case you are talking about, it looks to be very restrictive air flow wise:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do people think?

19. Shadeor

Shadeor Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
    Liquid cooling, I was told I should purchase it if I plan on OC'ing.
    Any suggestions? Currently the order is set on:
    Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition High Static Pressure 120mm Fan

Also, you meant the Motherboard or RAM with the 2133 part?

I did some search on the Arctic Freezer 13, seems to work at 200W of cooling performance.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That case will not fit a full atx motherboard you will either have to go microATX or change the case.

If you want to go small form factor this BitFenix Prodigy is a very nice case that uses MiniITX motherboard and will fin an H100 CPU cooler.
    [​IMG]

Now if you go this route you will need to switch up the motherboard to something like this ASUS Mini-ITX Z87IDELUXE.