PS Vita Thread

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by dchalf10, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It's a high-quality port. Might buy it when price comes down.

2. sano614

sano614 Guest

GPU:
    VisionTek 5870
    I see a lot of people playing / getting that Golf game. Is it really that good? Even if someone doesn't like golf irl?

Like I don't like real tennis, but I love the Virtua Tennis series!

3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I have to laugh at wanny and these others "man I havent touched anything else, vita isn't just a one day wonder"

It hasn't even been a week people lol. Of course it's going to hog up your gaming time. Give it a month and let's see where it sits as far as use. :)

Anyway, I bought one this weekend for an insanely low price. I got the 3G version for LESS than the wifi. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. So even when the inevitable price break comes, I still won't feel ripped off. It came with an 8gb memory stick, that's nice. The 3G is useless, I use wifi, but again, the price I got, couldn't say no and maybe the 3G will be handy down the road.

I bought Uncharted and Wipeout. I also downloaded Unit 13 demo. My initial impressions after 2 days with it.

The GOOD:

1.) I have a really nice 32 inch hdtv made by Sony. I kept it at 32 inches for a reason due to things I use it for with my PC. Every friend that comes over says "your tv looks so much crisper and nicer than mine, what the heck", well let me tell you, after playing all weekend on the vita and then firing up the ps3 my hdtv looked quite bland lol. That oled screen is beautiful. Very sharp, very colorful.

2.) The controls are smooth, the touch screen, as much as I hate them, works nicely and is accurate. The two analog controllers are great to have and for once a handheld system doesn't cramp my adult hands when holding it. Big plus there. :nerd:

3.) The PSN store is bare now, but the set-up already put in shows Sony is putting effort forth, they have psp games readily available for you to purchase as well as some demo's for vita and all vita launch games ready for purchase. I like that the store is ready. Not much in it of course but it's ready.

The BAD:

1.) Battery life on this thing sucks. Literally. You'll get maybe 4 hours with the screen lit at default and wifi off. It's not as poor as the 3DS, but considering I've done most of my hand held gaming with my xperia play lately which lasts about 8 hours strictly gaming, I've been a bit spoiled by good battery life.

2.) The sound without headphones is horrible. Sh*t quality, low volume garbage. Very disappointed with the quality..or lack of with the speakers. My xperia play has speaker quality about 5x better. Vita's biggest weak spot is the poor quality IF you don't use headphones. Sony really should have just take the xperia plays speakers and planted them on the vita.

Games:

Uncharted and Wipeout look nice. I don't buy into the hype I've read everywhere about how Uncharted looks "just like the ps3 version". It has tons of jaggies, the textures are much lower resolution at times and it does suffer from framerate issues, particularly in the middle to the end of the game. But as with most launch titles, framerates issues are to be expected until developer's grasp the hardware.

Wipeout has some slowdown when you're in a race with 8 vehicles in front of you and all using weapons. Some rough slowdown at that, but on the positive a patch was released that reduced the load times for the game.

The games look nice. I don't see why people are wondering if this machine can handle ps2 hd ports. If it's near ps3 quality, how can it not? I say near ps3 quality on purpose though. The games I've played look fantastic. They are beautiful, but they are NOT ps3. Maybe they can get there with time, maybe they won't.

Mind you I'm mainly a PC gaming and a graphics wh0re so my judgements are very critical on these things and I'm speaking for/to the same crowd as myself.

I would like to see an unreal engine 3.5 game on this handheld. Something like Mass Effect. The engine is incredibly scalable, I know it can be done.

All in all I'll put it like this. Had I paid full price, I'd have a bit of buyer's remorse, the games are fun, but as with most launches, after this intitial launch line-up, there's gonna be lots of waiting for something else. I can't tell people they MUST go out and buy this. It's a fun toy for laying around on a lazy day or if the wife is hogging the tv. But at the end of the day, I would still personally take the ps3 over the vita. Being the huge wipeout fan that I am, and personally I think this wipeout is better than the ps3 one's, I'm content. But unless you're a HUGE fan of a series in the launch, there's nothing ground-breaking or "must play" right now. Which makes me say to people on the fence to hold off for a price cut or at least a game that you can't go without.

I'm a sucker for 3D, it's gimmicky and all that. But the Vita, I feel, is a better handheld than the ***** My biggest issues with 3DS are battery life and the 3D itself, if you move your hands or head in the slightest direction, you lose the 3D image and your eyes need to adjust again. Very annoying.

The Vita offers an easier gamer expierence, the tilt and touch screen features can get annoying, but most of them can be avoided with normal controls.

I also feel the 3DS even now has a weaker library of games. The graphics are dated, the 3D is a bitch to stay focused on and the battery is insanely short lived.

So people looking for advice, I own the PC in my specs to the left, a ps3, a 3ds an xperia play cell phone and now a Vita.

PC is still and always will be my #1 love. PS3 is a strong no.2, vita is no.3

For those of you stuck deciding between vita, 3ds, a smartphone or a tablet, I can saty hands down, Vita.

Vita is THE handheld to go with, just don't buy it instead of a home console or better PC or to replace one. It's a nice after-though, lazy day, long trip time waster.

B+

4. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    3.) did you get still motion blur despite new OLED - response time 0.01 ms?

5. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    SerotoNiN, you make good points apart from your first sentence. It's not really just about it being new and all that. PSV allows people like me to spend more time being in the same room as family (while still gaming). It's a nice machine and has suprised me.

On pc I find myself going back to the same old games (half life, counter-strike, SSF4)even though my games collection continues to swell on PC. PSV takes me back to the original playstation days when I'd actually play and finish games instead of how I am now on PC. I have too many games on PC that I don't play, steam sales doesn't help.

What I want from PSV is exactly what it gives; Portable street fighter games is my thing, even had a GP2X for cps2 emulation. Even if there was only ever going to be the handful of games I've got now I'd be happy. The quality is high enough for longevity.

For you, the experience is different as you own PS3 aswell, which, people like me wouldn't bother with. Hopefully though, you will see the benefit from crossplay and pay-once-for-both offers. :)

Also, correction to my previous post; the usb cable plugged into pc DOES NOT charge the psv. Re edit; actually it does, but, it's a lot slower apparently, source here; http://www.gamesradar.com/21-things-you-never-knew-about-ps-vita/

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I haven't noticed any motion blur. And I'll admit I'm the most anal, pompous ass gamer you can find. The minute I see a muddy, low res texture, I'm the first to scream about it, dead pixel on a 42 inch screen? My eyes will go directly to it no matter what. I wish I wasn't so ridiculously demanding about these things but I am (I returned 7 psp systems at launch until I got one with no dead pixels, yes, 7. They did not like me LOL)

So having revealed all of that, I have not noticed any motion blur and trust me, if there were any to notice, I'd be bitching a storm about it lol.

I get your point, but as I said earlier, you said above and I quote "PSV takes me back to the original playstation days when I'd actually play and finish games instead of how I am now on PC."

I just think statements like that are too soon. The system hasn't been out a week. It's new, it's fresh, as are the games. I think it's an unfair comparison to judge a PC you've been gaming on for years against the newest gadget that just hit the market 5 days ago.

I hope it lasts, I hope the fun lasts for everyone and quality games keep coming, but I think some of you need to stop getting the buggy ahead of the horse here. Let's see where it;s at and how you feel about it in 6 months before we proclaim it to be the greatest handheld or system.

7. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    They're not going to let it slide, SONY are in heavy debt as it is.

I'll just quote their most famous line;

Don't under-estimate the power of playstation. :D

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It isn't native 960x544 though but 720x408 according to Digital Foundry. Hence why the game doesn't look as crisp as other PSV games. It's still pretty damn impressive though for a handheld. I've played the game up to Chapter 10 now (started it at work during the lunch break and continued once I got home). Great game. Only the shooting bits feel less precise than the PS3 version but the auto-aim helps, otherwise this is a portable version of a PS3 Uncharted game in every way.

9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Most people are in heavy debt as it is as well. Pushing a handheld at $250/$300 is no easy feat. A price cut at Christmas will push this thing more.

And I don't think anyone underestimates playstation as much as Sony does :bang:

10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB

11. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    ok, I'm still weird until I will see PS Vita "demo" in shop. but... I got still motion blur :confused: on smartphones OLED - here

12. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I kept this in mind last night when playing after you mentioned it, I didn't see any blurring while playing wipeout, a game with a very fast movement.

13. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    no motion blur?!! wow?!! :) but did you get also motion blur on smartphones OLED?

14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Ive never owned a smartphone with oled so I cant compare.

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I have a smartphone with oled and have never seen blurring.

ugh, was hoping to not see this sort of thing in the vita

16. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    It doesn't matter, thanks to the great screen it still looks great. It's a launch title running on hardware that runs on a small battery.

17. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    ok but what's smartphone?
    I got blurring on Nokia N85 (menu + gaming + films) and also on Samsung Galaxy S II (menu main / choose photos moving only?). I don't test film nor gaming for Galaxy S II in shop due to "demo".

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  18. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Once they catch up with a larger game library on this beauty, I can't see myself playing games on my PS3 anymore... If they ever make some playstation exclusive games on both vita and PS3, I'm probably going to pick up the Vita version from now on.

But of course, PC will always be my main platform.

19. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
  20. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    hey all, how are we?
    planning on getting a vita and have come up against the mandatory vita pre-purchase conundrum of which version to get - 3g or just wifi, do 3g have any special sort of features now or down the line that will make a 3g vita more of a better investment in the long run ?. Below is the wifi only deal that I'm leaning to, no mem card so will have to get one to play uncharted, thats what Wiki tells me anyway.

http://www.ebgames.co.nz/vita-999990-Sony-PS-Vita-with-WiFi-Bundle-Offer-PS-Vita

Hope they release splinter cell 1-3 at some point.
    Whats everyones hopes in the long run for this system (besides not turning out like the psp) game wise and modding capabilities as in CFW, user made apps. and why no video output?