OCZ Agility EX SSD 60GB review [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Today we test the OCZ Agility EX SSD. If 100% reliability is your thing then this is the cheapest SLC based SSD with an Indilinx controller that you can think of.

Then OCZ Agility EX offers top notch...

More...

2. J STEEL

J STEEL Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ SLI 4GB
    I think this would be my next upgrade to my rig. Having one of these for your OS would be sweet! I think I will skip upgrading for now to Core i7 to get one of these because it would be a shame to upgrade to so much power and have a slow HDD holding it back.

3. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I know I'm starting to repeat myself here, but imo that would be a smart move. I absolutely love my SSD and am still more than happy that I bought one a while ago. I can only recommend it to everyone to get one (at least) for the OS.

4. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    It certainly is increasingly tempting to take the leap towards a SSD. But, with high density traditional drives operating at 7200 RPM, and with capacities of 2TB, knocking at the doors of 10K drives (aside from the access times of course) it's kind of a conundrum for me. I can go now and purchase a 2TB WD Black for $300 or a 64GB SLC SSD for more, or a 128GB MLC SSD of good design for roughly $300. Quite the quandary seeing as how I can always use more storage.

5. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Well I've taken the leap and bought myself an 128GB SSD. Its cost around £250 but i had the cash (Lots of Overtime at Work) and i can't wait. I take receipt next thursday along with a copy of Windows 7

Next i wanna watercool my CPU, was waiting for i9 but it seems its gonna cost more than a small bomb so i'll see if i can swap my 9550 to a 9650 for a small fee and OC the **** out of it under water :)

6. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Well done OCZ! This is exactly what I am looking for. Decent capacity SLC SSD for less than the cost of my soul. This is soooo very very tempting.

7. J STEEL

J STEEL Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ SLI 4GB
    Yes, I see this as an upgrade that would be sweeter than anyting else I can do. Of course you can upgrade processors and stuff, but this by far is the best way to speed up your computer significantly to me. This is a lone bottleneck in itself. I envy you Cybermancer!

Of couse some will say that you can get 1 to 2TB drives for the price, but I am not buying this for storage, I am buying this for pure speed and the ability to do things just faster.

8. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    I have been waiting for affordable SLC drives since I first read about SSD. For me though this is still just one stage off, I think 60GB is too small and would want double that for my OS and apps. Once someone either halfs the price or doubles the size then I'm all over this like stink on swine! :D

9. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    How many apps are you using, Bentez2003? :eek:

Windows 7, including Office 2003, 3DMark06, 3DMark Vantage, Firefox, Safari, Opera, PSP 8, CDBurnerXP, Acronis True Image, CCleaner, AntiVir, Spybot S&D, SuperAntiSpyware, Comodo Firewall, ObjecktDock Plus, Skype, QuickTime, DivX, MSI Afterburner, eReader software, etc., etc. occupies only 12.7 GB. (The pagefile was moved to a different HDD and hibernation disabled, though.)

Imo, that leaves more than enough space (47 GB) for even a few games on the SDD.

10. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    Haha I guess im just being greedy Cybermancer. I plan on buy another WD Caviar Black TB for game installs. (currently they reside on my Raptor) I reckon I'll look at an SSD once I get round to buying Win7. This drive will be on my list of do want.

11. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    It would definitely complement your current rig in your profile very nicely. :nerd:

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    When i will be able to buy decent 128GB SSD For 200$ ? :D

13. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    I went from a 3 year old dell laptop (configed for gaming) to this beast.

When i first booted it up and started doing all kinds of things i was really disappointed, it was just as fast as my laptop because of my hard drive :(.

of course games ran 700x better, but the whole PC still seemed as slow

14. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    Actually the more i look at this bit of kit the more interested I get. are there any other SLC products you guys can think of that you would buy over this?

15. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    How about the winsxs folder? Does Windows 7 still use this the same as in Vista because after a year or so my Vista winsxs folder is 15Gb all by itself! If I was to move to a low capacity ssd I'd need to know whether this could be kept under control.

16. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I actually just recently found out about this folder by reading one post in the OS section of Guru3D.

I can't find it anymore but it essentially said the same as this:
    source: http://aspoc.net/archives/2008/11/20/winsxs-disk-space-and-windows-7/

source: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/a_deeper_look_disk_space_usage_windows_7_and_windows_vista

All in all, after having used the RC of Windows 7 since it came out (in April, iirc) until a week ago and having had a lot more stuff installed on it just to test it in the new OS I never used more than 15.x GB. So, while that's about 2 - 3 GB more than my current installation, it never really started to get anywhere close to the limits of my 60 GB SSD.

I hope I was able to help you a bit with this post, Nato.dbnz. :)

17. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Dammit! Australia got screwed over again! This thing is selling for $750AU. What a rip off! I am so sick of this crap.

18. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Yeah solid state drive prices in NZ are rediculous.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2948642&postcount=148

Was taken from http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2008/11/19/disk-space.aspx

I don't know why I didn't quote the source in the original post.

20. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Yup. I guess, it was your post, Denial. :D