Driver Sweeper alternative?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by naike, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Since driver sweeper is somehow full of spyware and is bugged (can't update), I need something to replace it.

Any ideas?

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Nothing?

Cuz i had never ever had the need of Driver Sweeper. The AMD Uninstaller works just perfectly fine.

Make sure your GFX Card says "Standard VGA Adapter" after you uninstalled the drivers and you should be good to go.

If not, then the problem is likely a trashed Windows because you have it installed for too long. I would suggest a clean install then, because no matter how clean you keep ur PC after some time Windows becomes a crap magnet no matter what.

3. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    This is so true, this is why I reinstall windows so often, it's so annoying.
    Anyway, I'll just try the default uninstaller.
    Just been having problems with my drivers, ever since 11.0
    Whenever I maximize or minimize a program it takes 10-15 seconds and meanwhile I just have a black screen and everything freezes.
    This always happens when I have the "idle clock bug", so when my clocks wont idle I get this bug.

Now recently my flash player has been bugging but it might be something with firefox 4 etc.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I dont agree, its a matter where to look where the crap is installed to remove it. especially windows 7 keeps running very very well.

personally i use driversweeper 2.1.0 (new versions make windows broken for me)
    ati **** cleaner , and ati **** cleaner 3.5 ? (yes i use 2 :D) one removes the WDM driver aswell, which is what i prefer.
    i also remove all entries that want to be removed from

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video
    and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Video

this has never failed me.

5. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Ati **** cleaner??

6. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  7. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    I use TwL's stand-alone driver cleaner. Great sh1t. But of course, preceding this, I uninstall with the regular uninstall manager and make sure in device manager that standard VGA is listed there. Reboot, run TwL's cleaner as admin, install new driver, reboot, done.

8. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    ATI sh!t cleaner. =b

You probably used pre-2.8.0 versions; I've had no problems with the newer ones (currently on 2.9.0).
    The latest genetix cleaner (TwL's) and TwL Cleaner (Von's) don't really clean that much; I usually use Von's TwL Cleaner v3.9.2 and then Driver Sweeper.

Tbh, I don't know what Driver Sweeper actually breaks on Windows.
    Any specific errors I should look out for after using Driver Sweeper?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  9. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i dont know what errors it was, but i wasnt able to install any drivers anymore. it always failed.
    the combo i use, always works for me.

10. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Last time I used Driver Sweeper, I got bsod loading windows in any mode.
    Had to system restore using the install cd.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Thats why i don't recommend Driver Sweeper, it screws up ur PC more than it does good.

12. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Well, yeah...the 'problem' is that my combo is either TwL's or Von's cleaner and then Driver Sweeper, and it always works.
    Do you remember which version caused subsequent drivers failed to install?

BSOD? o_O
    Which version was it?

@RoadKillNL
    Apparently it has never screwed up mine (and several other PCs I maintained), but YMMV.
    IIRC even Von recommended to use it after cleaning with his cleaner to look out for leftovers; you could check the last few pages of his thread where he & TwL discussed something regarding their cleaners.

Again, YMMV.

And the reason I'm curious about the Driver Sweeper versions is because I'm just, well, curious. =b
    It's just that I've been a long time Driver Sweeper user and has never encountered the problems stated above.
    (dammit I start to sound like someone around here with his 'flawless AMD drivers')
    Sometimes I even doubt if we're using the same Driver Sweeper, but who knows, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.