Ryse: Son of Rome

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by jgomez7238, Mar 9, 2014.

1. jgomez7238

jgomez7238 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I have been playing Ryse: Son of Rome for some time and I was just saying to myself that this game visually is better than Crysis 3 on max settings for pc. By the way I have an 8350 8 core cpu with 16 gigs of memory and an R290x. So Crysis 3 on max runs pretty smoothly and looks great but after popping in Ryse, I said wow man this looks better. Is that an accurate assessment or not? Just wondering.. I do think Crysis 3 on pc (max settings) is still the most graphically impressive game there is now. It's scary to think what these new consoles will do in 2 to 3 years time from now.

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ill bite. Crysis three is ugly, not that impressive as its following this stupid trend of using cartoony like graphics and shaders and Micheal Bay post-processing with over the top high rez textures instead of contiuning with the realistic lighting of the first crysis.

As for Ryse. never played it.

3. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    ya i didnt fancy crysis 3 visually or the gameplay...got bored about an hour in...heck i think the original STALKER looks better for lighting effects especially with the mods that are out for it..

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Personal preference can be fun. :)
    Personally, I prefer Crysis 2 and 3's stylized visual style of the first game's strict realistic look.

But, we had Ryse playing at work... really, it looks good, but... nothing I'd be impressed by. And the gameplay itself is tedious as hell, and incredibly repetitive.

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Wish i wasnt so conflicted when it comes to games and gfx, my 2 unfortunate ways of thinking more often than not is "These grafix arent realistic" and then theres "I play games to be taken out of reality".:3eyes:

Edit: Not sure why i qouted you. lol

6. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    You wanted me to feel important? ;)

But, I get what your saying. There are times I want them to look realistic, but it depends on the story the game is trying to tell.
    The Last of Us wouldn't work with a stylized visual style, but I think it works for the story and characters Crysis is using.

7. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    Ryse is technically inferior to Crysis 3 at very high settings.

And it runs at 900p on XBO, sorry but I'm not impressed. it's worrying that the Xbox One already fails to render such a game at 1080p.

8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Resolution has nothing to do with tech features of the Cryengine 3 and since both use the same engine it's really down to art direction. But it's early and devs are dealing with how Xbone allocates resources. There are some games that are 1080p/60.

I show chart. No doubt in my mind that with time, we'll see more 1080p/60fps games on both systems once devs use updated engines and work out how to deal with discrepancies. Honestly, I don't think either side on this chart is bad considering it's mostly older graphics engines being used and the shorter time span they had to work with the newer consoles.
    I say that because if you notice certain games, like Wolfenstien is 1080p/60fps yet some others that are no more intensive are 720p. I think it was each devs decision on wether they needed to cut back on time needed to properly optimize it.
    *sorry ran off topic

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  9. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    You're insane if you think the lack of 1080p games on XBO is due to the nature of the XBO's memory setup, if has everything to do with the weak GPU it packs.

1080p games on XBO are possible but they require extreme trade-offs regarding assets and IQ.
    Forza proves my point, as does Ryse. Even AC4 does not run at 1080p on Xbox One ! Time and budget constraints ? Tell that to the PS4.

Crysis 3 is a league above in terms of tech. Cloud shadows, area lights, particles, texture quality, shading.
    The Xbox One with those GPU specs at 1.31tflops does not stand a chance.

So no, Ryse has nothing on Crysis 3 at maximum settings on PC, nothing except sujective notions such as art direction.
    You may like Ryse's settings more but on a purely technical basis it's nowhere close to Crysis 3.

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, resolution means very little.
    Feature wise, both games use the same tech... but it's all up to how it's used. The art style and direction put behind it. And ultimately how it's used to craft the gameplay and the world.

And in that regards, Crysis 3 is the better looking of the two.
    Ryse certainly looks good, but... nothing amazing. And, in a lot of ways the games just looks... repetitive. From the forests, the towns... nothing stands out.
    And the gameplay is slash, block, slash, block... kill move... next target.

I hope Crytek put more effort into Homefront 2.

11. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    Resolution matters when arguing tech because it's one of the value that has to be lowered to accomodate weaker specifications.

This is the XBO GPU :
    Next-gen my ass.

Ryse would look amazing on PC but as it stands it's constrained by the Xbox One's weak hardware.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Crysis 1 was made to even work on PS3. Sure there are tradeoffs to weaker hardware but some features can be worked around to create something that looks very similar.

This from Crytek on PS3...I think i posted this elsewhere recently but it shows that devs can achieve a lot despite specs.

I don't think anyone is expect PC cloned graphics directly on Xbone...or PS4 for that matter. Weak hardware is weak hardware but no one is exactly pushing the latest PC tech to the limits in the same way they do consoles but similar could be achieved for it to be satisfactory for all but the hardcore elite pro gamers that so many here seems to be.

What other reason than time/budget would another dev get 1080p/60fps from Wolfenstein but not Crytek from Ryse. Crytek just did not try very hard obviously and MS probably pushed them for a day 1 release.

13. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    Crysis on consoles is wholly inferior in all departments. That does not support your point, at all. Actually, it shows how graphical sacrifices are underestimated when comparing PC to console versions.

That's absolutely not impressive. Crysis on PS3 looks like garbage.

I agree with you on that. The overwhelming majority of high-end PC games have consoles as lowest common denominator and therefore it's hard to push high-end PC hardware. Assets can't be redone on PC, sadly.
    That's THE department in which we will see the biggest advancements.

Just look at Batman Arkham Knight's character models to see what I mean. Technically PCs could run that for years but last-gen consoles and they low amound of memory mean assets had to be identical accross PC/consoles.

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    ^you missed the point. It's been shown, in most all later ps3/360 titles that you can push theoretical specs into new visual heights that were not thought possible to achieve, otherwise current releases would still look like the old releases. Which could happen with the new consoles and is something that no developer tries to do with PC hardware...if so we would have better looking PC titles than what we have now.

No one also explained why Wolfenstien would run at 1080p/60 on Xbone and Ryse would not which may be telling that some of the new games are not even pushing the theoretical specs yet.

Does Crysis on PS3 look like garbage for only having 512mb's/780gpu/AMD 3500 equivalent (or whatever it is) hardware? No because I don't even think Crysis would even meet minimum spec for that kind of hardware on PC. But that was just an example, even if not a great one. There are many console games that are impressive if you consider the hardware it's running on. It would be foolish to think the new consoles would be any different considering the history of all consoles and what was achieved on them.
    On PC, they just tell you to upgrade your hardware rather than try to push lower end hardware so gamers could get closer to higher end hardware without the need to upgrade.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  15. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    You guys make it too easy for trolls to troll you and do so HARD.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-07-xbox-one-launch-title-ryse-son-of-rome-announced-for-pc

Crytek doesn't seem to be dead quite yet, Ryse is now being released on PC.

EDIT: Damn I missed the existing topic because I only read "Xbox" in the topic name, whoops.
    (And it's not possible to delete posts either so I can't undo this.)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Crysis is on CryEngine 3, Ryse is on CryEngine 4, not sure what the huge difference is, but technically, they are not on the same engine

and before you say "pfft, cryengine 3, cryengine 4(not named 4, but is the 4th cryengine), same diff", according to the developers "This new engine bears almost no similarity to previous CryEngine versions."

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  18. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Oh yes...BUYING!!!!!!!!!!

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    yeah I checked what's this game about and it looks more advanced then Cryengine3, more in line with next-gen gfx.

20. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    They must be desperate.