Windows 8 #2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by hallryu, Jan 31, 2013.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My only issue with Windows8....is Bluetooth support. I plug in my Bluetooth adapter...Windows installs drivers and nothing will sync...

UZ7, careful with that "nobody is forcing anyone to upgrade" comment.... The Win8Haters don't like that fact being pointed out. I've been attacked in every Win8 thread for making that same statement...

2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Haha I know what you mean, I had Win8 on my laptop for a while and stuck with Win7 on my main, when I jumped to Win8 on my main rig my bros and friends were like what?! you put it on your main?! and they don't want to touch Win8 just from the fact that they saw or read reviews but never actually used it. For me personally I wouldn't give it a full number upgrade, I would say its more like a Win7.5 as it doesn't really have ground breaking features just like how the iOS6 was with the iPhone and it was no Vista -> Win7 transition either.

There are a few more other issues that needs to be sorted out but for a regular use I think its usable. But in the longrun most people that are used to Windows 7 want to feel at home when then jump to 8 without having to modify or install anything just how I felt when I went from Vista to 7. I tweaked Vista to the point where it was pretty solid and when 7 came out all those tweaks were already set from stock so thats when i knew 7 was going to be popular. I didn't feel that with 8, took me a few minutes to learn the ins and outs but again not everyone is tech savvy or good with navigating through an OS.

We can get into the whole oh try before you buy, you don't have to upgrade and thats fine. I'm just not a fan of people going based on youtube or reviews and automatically thinks thats how it works when not realizing the video was a review on a preview or dev build etc...

So the only issue I have is probably driver support (which should improve) and VM issues etc.. and to some people those are really big while others its not. Some people use OS for gaming while others only use to browse facebook.

Different people, different needs, same OS.. it will have its kinks :p

3. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    At first glance it might seem irrational to expect negative replies to statements such as those, however once you start thinking about it, you will eventually reach a valid a explanation:

Even though this is clearly not the case, in some cases when you are trully not "forced" to upgrade, that statement may be considered as an insult, first of all if that is the case they already know it and you are not adding anything of value to the discussion, instead you are taken as trolling them by explaining 1+1=2, so even though they really dont care they have that possibility and they complain for their own reasons either because they want Microsoft to know about it and not make the same mistake in the future or whatever other reasons they might have, you are pretty much telling them indirectly to shut up just because you dont like their complaints.

Now, the part of the so called "fact" that you have stated it is pretty much biased and here is why.
    Microsoft does whatever they can in their power to make the userbase to go to windows 8, either taking previous windows copies out of some specific stores, making all available windows product preinstalled with windows 8, stopping support for previous windows to indulge previous windows users to upgrade to the newest version, or simply adding new features only to the newest windows and locking them on previous versions, DX11.1 is a partial example of that.
    This cheap marketing strategy is nothing new from microsoft, even their gaming departament do it on the xbox.
    So in this specific case, that is a pretty much false statement as they indeed are not free from pressure for changing to new versions.
    As for programmers, it doesnt matter if they simply hate it or not, if some cannot financially avoid it, they will be forced to code for it no matter what their opinion is about that product.

Hopefully that rationalizes the replies you have been experiencing from other users from other threads.

4. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Have you actually used the OS for more than 10 minutes? Didn't think so, so how can you actually think that people should listen to all of your drivel and take your "concerns" seriously? Look at your post history regarding Windows 8. You even made a thread asking users to answer questions you had (I was among those that responded with detailed information.) regarding how certain things were handled in Windows 8. Yet, here you are continuing your quest to make all these false claims and propaganda about how bad Windows 8 is but you still have absolutely zero real world experience with it in any meaningful sense. You are going on just blind opinion or perhaps hearsay at best without anything to really contribute. Everyone (and I mean everyone I know that has upgraded to Win 8, say around 40 people with varying degrees of computer skill) has been happy with their move to Windows 8. Yes, some of them have ran into issues or had some difficulties with certain changes and some feel that certain aspects could use improvement. But they have all been glad that they made the move, because all of them now feel that it was an improvement over Win 7, in one form or another. I just find it funny that some people make these grandiose claims about how everyone that tries Win 8 hates it. I have found the exact opposite. Sure, there has been some confusion and a learning curve, but once they've past that they have been pleased. Those that claim that Windows 8 is worse than Windows Vista/ME or that the OS isn't productive are simply talking out of their asses. That is NOT an opinion that is a fact. Windows 8 is far more stable (even at this early stage) than Vista ever was (or Win 7 for that matter) and is as productive, if not more so than any previous Windows OS. Saying otherwise is just plain stupidity. I get that some don't like the Modern UI, and that parts of the OS seems a bit dis-jointed, but to say that it is horrible, non-productive, and just down right worthless is just plain idiotic.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    So, MS is "forcing" people to upgrade by marketing a new product? That's essentially what you just said. If you're a software developer, you go where the money is...that isn't Microsoft forcing you to code for Windows8. That's your employer and customer base.

The replies I receive are not rational and there is no way to rationalize them. People upgrade because they want to. Nobody forces them to. Nobody's life is going to end just because you choose not to upgrade. The claim that MS is "forcing" people to upgrade, is plain bull****. That's like saying Ford, Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, etc are forcing you to buy a new car because the new model has a feature that your model doesn't....

As a professional, at some point you're going to end up doing something you don't want/like to do. As an end-user....you have options. Nobody can force you to upgrade if you don't want to. Just because a new product has new features....doesn't mean you're forced to use that new product.

6. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    [​IMG]

Samsung SSD users (think it works for other ssds as well). New Samsung Magician 4 w/ Windows 8 support :)

Program is detecting that my OS isnt optimized for SSD since I didn't use their presets but I'll check it out to see if it added anything new.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Windows8 claims my SSDs need to be "optimized"....lol

8. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Well then, i apologize, have fun discarding information and expect same replies in the future.

9. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Except that you haven't provided any valid information, only your baseless opinions.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Facts seem to scare people like you....so I fully expect to continue seeing the trolls post the same old bull....

11. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Oh yeah people like me are scared by facts ;)

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Your post, attempting to rationalize people's reaction to the fact that they're not forced to upgrade, proves my point. You try to rationalize, an irrational reaction to an unwanted fact..... If you weren't scared of facts, you wouldn't have bothered trying to make excuses to justify people's irrational reaction.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Please stop now, just keep it about Windows 8.. we do not need to re-visit the same line of argument that happened in the previous Windows 8 thread.

Windows 8 is different to Windows 7, yes we know... A few of us are using it as our main OS.

I'm interesting in what UZ7 posted about Samsung Magician.. what would be considered an Optimized SSD?

14. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Perhaps, the "Optimized" or Unoptimized SSD tag is associated with the number of times that your SSD has been "TRIMMED", from what i could gather since i dont actually own a SSD, windows uses a trim command that will remove free spaces between data, a bit similar to when you defrag your hdd and the free space is moved away from between actual data so your seeking time is theorically quicker as it doesnt have to scan data that is randomly scattered around the hdd plate, perhaps if you run the trim command for the ssd it will then show as optimized once it is complete.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  15. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    [​IMG]

Pretty much the program had presets and if you didn't have it within their range it would consider it as "unoptimized" I already tweaked my Windows 8 (didn't really need much changes anyway) and when I clicked on Maximum performance it switched my Hibernation mode and Virtual Memory (page files). Originally I had it set to 0 and it switched it back to let Windows decide so there really isnt any tweaking done there.

On the other hand Capacity and Reliability does switch more options on/off depending on which one stuff you want. Pretty much all of these tweaks can be done manually and most people go by Sean's guide over at ocn, but this one has presets for those who don't want to go through the hassle or just want to set it and go :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013

16. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    "Forcing to upgrade" is funny. Even though nothing about it is "forcing" people to upgrade to Windows 8, it's ridiculous to spout it as if MS is the only company with a product that has ever added new features at the price of requiring an upgrade. Hell.... for 3+ months, they were offering the upgrade for $40 for Windows 8 Pro.... PLUS Windows Media Center for free.

Car manufacturers do it.
    computer hardware manufacturers do it.
    Hell... Apple is KNOWN for it.

Of all of them, Windows 8 has been the CHEAPEST upgrade cost. But nothing about it is "forced". Next we'll probably hear that a game developing company is forcing people to buy a new video card because their GTX 470 can't handle their game, and at the same time MS is forcing them to buy Windows 8, cause that game manufacturer is creating the game entirely with DX11.1 in mind.

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    The control panel used to go black (crashing) when selecting any of the video colours. I even did a fresh install of Windows 7, same happend again. Nothing major in all honestly, but no such issues with Windows 8.

I also like the way it tells you at the log in screen when you have Windows updates to install.

18. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI

What I don't understand is why they removed Windows Media Center from Windows 8 in the first place. I mean it's not like in the past it got in the way if one chose not to use it. It has always been completely optional for someone to use.

19. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I guess probably just another way to try to trim the overall cost to the end-user? I dunno. I mean like you said, it has been completely optional for someone to use.... and if someone should feel they need it in Windows 8... say, if they decide to turn their computer into a HTPC, $10 isn't that insane an amount of money.

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It is a cost based decision, To do with them licensing codecs from Dolby Digital was it? my memory is a little rusty.