Lenovo spills beans with AMD Radeon HD 8950 3GB card

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2013.

1. HitokiriX

HitokiriX Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    they are rebrands of series 7000 for the most part

2. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    "Desktop OEM PCs"

I wish Nvida and AMD would stop doing this confusing name process.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    This generation was different. First of all, the 7970 took the crown in most games above 1080p (2560 x 1440 and multi-monitor), which is where it flexes its muscles the most. It has a higher memory bandwidth, higher GPU GFLOPS, much much better compute. It trades that off with power, temperatures, and noise, of course.

We're not even talking about the GHz edition, which flat out beats the 680 in most games even at 1080p.

The GHz edition mainly shows what the 7970 GPU can do @1000MHz+, slightly above its 925MHz clock, where it is already within few % point of the 680 in the games it loses to it.

Do remember that before 2006, ATI graphics cards were on top (7000 series days), as I remember. Since then, they're been playing catch-up to Nvidia at the high-end. Their prices were fantastic throughout, and they've been continuously improving their drivers. This gen, they had the upper hand.

Let's not forget the 3-month advantage AMD enjoyed this gen as they knocked out the 7950/7970 at the start of the year, while it took Nvidia 3 more months to get out their 680.

The 680 is a great power-efficient GAMING card. However, it has crippled compute performance and its sweet-spot is 1080p for the most part. It has almost the same memory bandwidth as the GTX580, where the 7970 has 25%+ mem bandwidth.

Things aren't that clear cut anymore.

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    He only cared about GCN2.
    Did you even look at the screenshot you're posting?

5. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    with latest performance 310.90 drivers, even 7970ghz can't keep up with gtx680.

12.11 b11 are not saving 7000series anymore

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    bad too bad, the differences are minimal with the current generation, rumors about poor innovation came true, i am not trolling neither spamming...i am worried as customer and as an amd fan, i haven't touched nvidia in my pcs since 2001...only my brother take always green...

r.i.p amd, it's the end, kepler refresh is gonna smash the competition :(

if the specs are legit...8970 will struggle to compete even with 770gtx.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD is pulling an NVidia and rebadging an entire generation for OEMs. The retail cards are expected to be faster and GCN2 based.

8. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    pulling nvidia meaning.?

nvidia is calm and pushing their plans months later, made tons of money because gcn was weaker than kepler...

gk110 was the high-end and never came out (now it's supposedly a refresh), nvidia re-branded mid-range gpu as high-end...and all enthusiasts took a mid-range gk104 as the fastest single gpu...

gcn2 was supposed to be opposed by a kepler refresh not the original...
    nvidia is not in a hurry to rush out anything, they enjoy these moments...
    i am not happy...it's like a bad ending coming...i expected more from amd...

rumor: gk110 is exactly performing as 100% utilized 2 heavily oc'ed 2way sli gtx580...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    2x 580GTX sounds ok, but i was expecting at least 2x 670 GTX.. We will see what time brings. :)

Yeah that looks a bit off, especially low ROP count, only 32?

So when are both due Q2 2013?

10. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    ^^ yeah i agree, but a highly oc'ed gtx580 is faster in everything than a stock 670 anyway...so it is the same :)

11. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    yep am with u and Hallyru. It seems some people like to xxxx in their pants as soon as there is any whiff of anything negative that could be said at either company.

sad really but there u go, i prefer to sit back and watch it all unfold without passing premature comment (see what i did there :) )

wake me up in a few months...

p.s yikes what an ugly pc :)

12. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I think some of you guys misread the GK110 rumor.

Lets try again:

I'm reading that as saying it's as powerful as TWO-Pairs of GTX 580 cards. Each pair in SLI. We're talking about FOUR (4) GTX 580 cards.

13. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    You're retarded if you really think that's possible.

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Links please? Benchmarks?

This is the 310.90 changelog:

The change-log specific to this release follows.

Adds a security update for the NVIDIA Display Driver service (nvvsvc.exe).
    Improves performance for GeForce GTX 690:
    o Up to 19% faster performance in Autodesk 3ds Max when interacting with large models compared to GeForce GTX 480.
    o Up to 60% faster performance in ray tracing applications such as NVIDIA iray and Chaos V-Ray (subject to the scene fitting into graphics memory) compared to GeForce GTX 480.
    o Up to 76% faster performance in the 3D extruded ray tracing capability in Adobe After Effects compared to GeForce GTX 480.
    Updates SLI profiles for Far Cry 3 and NBA2k13.
    o Adds new 3D Vision profiles for the following games:
    - Aliens: Colonial Marines – rated Fair
    - GT Legends – rated 3D Vision Ready
    - LEGO: Lord of the Rings – rated Good
    - Miasmata – rated Good
    - Pirate101 – rated 3D Vision Ready
    - Viking: Battle for Asgard – rated Excellent
    - Warframe – rated Good
    - Wizard101 – rated 3D Vision Ready

As you can see, no game performance improvements. Those were part of 310.70. What does 310.90 have to do with it?

It's mostly about improving compute performance (and it's compared to GTX480, fantastic).

Oh, and where do you get your rumors and numbers from?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  15. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Why not?
    All you need is a mini fission reactor.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD is doing right now, what NVidia did for the 300 series. NVidia released 300 series cards to OEMs.....while they were nothing but rebadged 200 series cards.

17. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    yeah i remember that you are right.!

no 1 pair of 2x580s oc'ed fully max as possible on air, 2way sli, no 4way...

in other words...it's like you have a beast (gtx780) and you have a pair of 2 580s and you oc'ing as hard as you can to reach the beast :D too much power

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  18. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025

I didn't say I thought it was possible. Just pointing out what it actually said.

One thing to think about... up till now, nVidia has consistently released card after card which keeps proving the following slide true. It was correct about the last three cards and those performance numbers oddly enough seem to fit perfectly on the chart..

[​IMG]

19. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Wow, look at all the perceived doom an gloom in this industry, think im use to all the bullpoos that i figured f-it, why waste my time bitching about it. If i dont like it then im not going to buy it, and hopefully one day these companies will wake up and wonder where all their customers went.

This hobby gets too draining if taken far too seriously.

I just want fellow gamers to think about one thing before they go all upgrady up this mofo. Is your next anticipated title that costs between $30-80 worth spending upwards of $500 for a gpu just to max out, while taking into account as to which company it comes from and their history of support for their games as will it'll get patched or not if there are any issues.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    GK110, if called that, signifies a Kepler card, not Maxwell. And given power limits and die shrink plateauing I doubt a Kepler card could hit the "power" of 4x 580's. I mean similar performance, yeah, because SLI at 4x barely scales in anything, but in terms of sheer "power" which I take as theoretical performance, there is no way they are hitting that with 300w.

But yeah, they are going to fit on the chart because that's what Nvidia targets for it's architectures. These archs take years to develop, Maxwell probably started development around when Fermi shipped.