ATITool Guide....

Discussion in 'Links' started by funkymonkey, Apr 26, 2004.

1. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    ATITool guide.

Well folks I am writing this small guide for those who are using ATITool for the first time and dont know how to use it effectively.And also links to places where you can get more help, submit bug reports and even contact the creator of this tool W1zzard. Look for the links at the bottom of this post.

ATITool is simple, small but a nifty tool for owners of ATI cards who want to overclock their card. This tool not only overclocks your card in the safe steps but also checks for artifacts in real-time when its overclocking.

When you open this tool a small window will open. It has Profile section, Set clock Tab, Default Tab, Find Max Core and Find Max Mem(memory) Tab, scan for Artifacts Tab and Show 3D view tab.
    On the right side there is slider provided to manually adjust the core and memory speeds.

[​IMG]

How to use automatic overclock
    The beauty of this tool is its capability to find optimum vcore ane memory speed for the card you are using. To find the maximum core speed all you have to do is click on "Find Max Core" and it will start its operation. A window with a 3d cube rendering will open and will overclock your core in small steps and also keep on scanning for artifacts. As soon as artifact is detected it reduces the core speed and keep scanning for artifacts. I recommend letting this tool run for at least 15-20 minutes(1 hour recommanded) when it settles down to a particular reading. Remember it does not find optimum clock speed in a second or in a minute or 5 minutes, you should run it longer.
    The same steps should be repeated for memory overclock where you click on "Find Max Mem".
    Remember you should set your core at default before Finding Max mem, otherwise the artifacts caused by core overclock may interfere with that of memory and tool may fail to find optimum memory overclock and vice versa

As soon as you finish finding stable Max core and Mem click on "Set clock" which will set your card Core and memory to the max detected speeds.
    I'd personally reccomend that you don't say a setting for max mem or core is stable unless it's handled it error free for at least 30mins, but 1hr is proberbly best...

Setting Profiles
    You can set the 2D and 3D profile using this tool. For 2D profile ideally you should use stock speeds of the card. I recommend setting 2D profile before finding Max core and Mem overclock. Click on Save on the profile menu at the top and it will save your default clock and memory speeds as 2D profile.
    To set the 3d profile, Click on "New" to open a new profile, enter desired name of this profile ( I prefer 3D as a name for 3D profile ) now select this profile. Set your core and memory speeds to what you found out using this tool and then click on set clock and then click on save.
    Then select your 2D( you can use default profile for 2D) and 3D profile in the drop box menu on the left side above the "Set Clock" tab.

You can also assign hotkeys for loading your profiles. To do so select your profile in the top profile menu and clock on " Properties ". There click on update to assign the hotkey.

You can delete any profile by selecting that profile and then pressing Delete button.

Advance setting
    You can configure the ATITool, for that click on settings button located at Right bottom side.
    In overclocking options you can set the safety range to bind your overclock range. Also you can select to apply the clock immediately after moving slider.
    I strongly recommend keeping Scanning options at default

In 3D detection you can assign sound files. This sound will be heard as soon as card switches to 3D mode from desktop 2D mode and vice versa you can choose to play sound file while leaving 3D mode.
    In Misc you can set ATITool to load at windows startup, play sound while loading profile, view the log file also you can check for updates and Reactivate all dialogs.

Links

ATITool official Website:Here
    Download ATITool:Guru3d file section
    ATITool FAQ:Here
    Contact W1zzard

via ICQ: 3166214
    via E-Mail: w1zzard@gmx.net
    via AIM: w2zzard
    via MSN: w1zzard@gmx.net
    =======================
    Let me know if I have made any mistakes here, I will also update this if and when needed in future, let me know if I have missed something

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  2. xafier

xafier Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 290
    Just to add to above... I'd personally reccomend that you don't say a setting for max mem or core is stable unless it's handled it error free for at least 30mins, but 1hr is proberbly best...

then once you've got max mem and core the chances are they wont work together well... drop both by 5 - 10mhz and try them together checking for errors in ATITOOL, benchmarks and your newest most graphics intense game for any glitches... you still may need to back down a little more to find it stable, but 5 - 10mhz on both is usually enough :)

also, just in case Wizzard reads this, I've noticed sometimes you can get an insane amount of errors when its doing the heat-up phase... perhaps a button to override it and drop down a level and check for errors... it sometimes worries me when i start getting glitches everywhere during heat-up, including my desktop... surely you can write some simple code to detect big glitches during heat-up? :)

3. Monrad

Monrad Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro =)))
    Congratulations funkymonkey, GREAT POST!!

Well, about heating up your card, you should try rthdribl until there's a better option in ATITOOL. Rthdribl can heat up any card in just a few minutes ;) And it's also a great artifact tester when all the eye candy is enabled.

Good Luck

4. Monrad

Monrad Guest

GPU:
    Well, after reading this post I overclocked my 9800 Pro again.

I still haven't finished. I'm running ATI tool and rthdribl at the same time because it finds artifacts faster, I'm just stressing my card =)

What it really bothers me is the fact that my radeon doesn't have memory heat sinks, I don't know if I will overclock those little beetles because they are really hot right now. Maybe when I reinstall my Thermaltake Giant II and add some memory heat sinks.

What is more, in rthdribl you can actually see the artifacts and clock down your card manually, that in case you got tired of waiting for ATItool.

5. krisha

krisha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTS250 512 mb
    Where do I get this rthdribl ?

6. Monrad

Monrad Guest

GPU:
  7. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    i was wondering how do you use riva tuner cause i cant seem to understand it

8. sakke

sakke Member

GPU:
    (ATI/x800GTO2/256Mb)@598/596 Mhz
    ATITOOL- effective or real

I was wondering, does ATITOOL show you the REAL ram speeds? Or is it the effective speeds? Because my ram is overclocked to 596 Mhz, and I have an x800 gto2. I figured that was kinda slow for ram, so that COULDNT be effective speeds(gddr3 ram is multiplied by two, right?), but maybe I'm wrong?

9. MM-K

MM-K Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 1GB
    Just a quick question; can this also moniter temps?

thanks.

10. sakke

sakke Member

GPU:
    Yes, in the lower left part of your screen it tells you.

11. MM-K

MM-K Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 1GB
    I installed it, but see no temp readings...

12. Maverick494

Maverick494 New Member

GPU:
    MSI X1300 Pro 256MB
    Does it support the X1300 Pro cards??

13. Agent_D

Agent_D Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    sakke, from all ive seen, it measures the actual speed (IE: 596MHz=1192MHz) my Radeon 9800Pro@XT reads 365MHz = 730MHz

14. Raikku

Raikku Master Guru

GPU:
    POV GTX 280
    How about Atitool and ATT?

How they work together, i have noticed that they override settings made by other program.

And someone said that his PC crashed(and he had to re-format) 'cause he had CCC/ATT/Atitool all in the use at the same time.

One thing i have noticed, if i have ATT running, Atitool shows wrong fan-speeds (in idle, under 40celcius, it shows 0% fan speed, even when fan is running normally at 14%, i have checked that).

So if i have ATT, should i use Atitool at all?

15. SL-spirit

SL-spirit Master Guru

GPU:
    1GB Sparkle 9800GT
    Hey, I have a Radeon 9800pro (system specs on the side) and I'm wondering about overclocking it using ATi TOOL. My default is: Core: 378.00 and Memory: 338.50. So how much do I have to incerease it by to overclock it??? Currently, I'm not using any prog to find out the graphic card's temp but could someone tell me a link where you can get it???? Just wondering about, would overclocking increase the card's performance, graphics and also the the score when benchmarking??? Please reply...................

16. sakke

sakke Member

GPU:
    overclocking is overclocking. Even if you just overclock it .1MHz, its still overclocked, Just not enough to notice a change. I wouldn't try overclocking it without a better fan than stock. The temp is in ATItool's main screen.

17. SL-spirit

SL-spirit Master Guru

GPU:
    1GB Sparkle 9800GT
    Hey, I'm using the latest ATi Tool, 0.24 but I couldn't find out the card's temp on the screen. So do I have to change any settings to make it appear on the screen??? Would getting an 80mm fan allow to overclock prop with less temps???? Please reply...................

Herez the screenshot:

[​IMG]

18. sakke

sakke Member

GPU:
    See that number in your tray(the bottom right part of your screen)? That's your temp.

19. SL-spirit

SL-spirit Master Guru

GPU:
    1GB Sparkle 9800GT
    That's the HDD temp. But couldn't figure out a way to find the graphic card's temp.

20. B00

B00 New Member

GPU:
    Powercolour X800GTO 256mb
    You have a 9800pro installed on your system right? 9800 pro's don't have temp sensors on chip :( thats why you have no temprature showing.

:dave: