GTX 680 Overclocking

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by qwwwizx, Apr 21, 2012.

1. SashaX

SashaX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX TITAN @ 1150 MHz
    Lol
    Yeah, I know, I was doing something wrong when ocing the GPU clock offset to +450 MHz.

Right now im doing it right and i cant get those insane clocks.

How I flashed my reference card with the BIOS from an oced reference card?
    Easy, the tool exists, nvflash.

My card was locked and I had to break the read/write protection. And also had to do "nvflash -4 -5 -6 NEW.rom" because ID card whas not matching the one from the BIOS. Everythings on Google ^^

Now I have a base clock of 1058 MHz and a boost clock of 1200~ (rock solid stable) without messing with afterburner or Precision X. That is the OC's i've seen in reviews for factory oced models.
    Since I have saved dinero from buying a reference non-oc card and I can have a superclocked version by just flashing, im pretty happy.

And by seeing that theres so many people than cant do even +50 gpu i feel lucky. Also I would like to say that the performance gains are more noticeable when increasing the memory offset, and that is not that hard to OC.

About the custom 680's and the reference, right now they are all the same. Just buy the cheapest one and if you want, flash it. Save that extra 50-100 € and go party. :banana:

2. RedPyramid

RedPyramid Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 Directcu
    Yes I know, felang actually asked the question

No question, if I got a 680, even non-reference (except maybe directcu), I would most definitely flash it. New NiBiTor will help too.

3. SashaX

SashaX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX TITAN @ 1150 MHz
    Found here:
    http://www.mvktech.net/component/op...iew/id,62784/catid,10/limit,10/limitstart,80/
    In the third post, an awesome custom BIOS.

EVGA_GTX680_A3_1150_1752_1215_BP_225_250

My card goes @ stock up to 1215 MHz Boost.
    If I play with core offset, it goes even higher!

Before the first flash, my max boost was 1110 MHz. It was impossible to go higher.
    Impressive.

I was thinking my card was a bad clocker LOL :nerd:

BTW, if anyone does flashing and gets his card toasted or BIOS corrupted its not my fault. Do it @ your own risk.

4. tronicson

tronicson Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 HydroCopper
    New NVFlash Version -> obviously now direct BIOS reading / flashing of GTX 680 possible :banana:

5. Ziver

Ziver Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 AMP Extrem
    Can i use this bios with my referance Zotax GTX680 ?

6. MfA

MfA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
  7. felang

felang Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 680
    So is it really worth it to flash the BIOS, are you guys really getting higher gpu clock then by just adjusting power level through afterburner/Precision X?

8. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    I have the stock bios in my GTX680 and I am getting +135mhz in the core and +350mhz on the memory with 132 on the power. Looks like I have a decent overclocker for a change. I saw the core clock go up to 1233mhz when testing my overclock and it never went above 76c. This is on a stock GTX680 and stock cooler in a Corsair 800D

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I have to say that I have no clue how this overclocking works with this card. I've seen the core go above 1080 MHz without touching anything. Shouldn't 1058 MHz be maximum? Does the memory offset behave differently? Power target? Wat?

10. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    1058mhz is what nvidia guarantees the card will do. Anything above that (at stock) is a bonus. Mine also goes to 1084 without touching anything.

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I did a small test. Bumped the clock to EVGA SC speeds and now the core goes up to 1134 MHz without touching the power thing. 3DMark011 score is P9913.

12. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    I believe Gainward is a terrible brand for overclocking, because all of there good chips are sold as O/C or golden samples or phantoms etc etc.

I also have purchased a Gainward GTX 680 standard edition, and I expect zero o/c from it, tbh I was not even going to bother trying.

Not to mention I had a Gainward before, ii was a Golden Sample supposed to be good for o/c and even that was absolutely useless, I was not wanting another Gainward but as stock was so limited I went for what I could get, truth is as I did not intend to o/c, I was not that fussed, Gainward is decent enough I think providing you run it AS IS.

This is my guess work.. u wont have any luck o/c that Gainward and nor will I.

EDIT: after reading this I MAY consider turning it up temporarily just out of sheer morbid curiosity.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  13. angmar

angmar Guest

run a custom fan profile to keep your temps down more and your overclocking stability will go up......

14. angmar

angmar Guest

I highly doubt this.

15. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    set power target to maximum, in order to achieve highest possible gpu offset. gpu boost will boost on top of your gpu offset. memory speed is static not dynamic.

16. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all "stock" 680's just reference cards with a sticker from the company selling them? IF that's the case, you can't blame Gainward for selling gpu's that don't overclock high.

My MSI boosts up to 1084mhz without touching anything. For the fun of it, I did a small test to see how high I can go. Didn't have much time so it's certainly not the maximum. With power target to maximum and gpu offset of +100, I did a benchmark with Heaven and the core clock maxed out at 1180 (can't remember the exact number but it was within the eighties). Got a max temperature of 68°C with a 1:1 fan profile. No artifacts, no hard locks, completly stable. I bet it can pass 1200mhz on the core, gonna test that tomorrow. Wish me luck ;)

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    As far as I know that's the case. I use 100% power target, +50 offset for GPU and +100 for memory. Doesn't seem to be any different temperature vice to stock speeds (no custom fan profile). Max for GPU was 1134 MHz in 3DMark11. I too bet that 1200 would be doable.

18. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    If you're interested in overclocking, why have power target on only 100%?

19. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    1250boost core and 6200MHz vram here on a evga sc sig edition.

pasted heaven and 3d mark extreme settings.

Not even messed with power target its still set at 100%(not even sure I know what it is tbh) and not messed with voltages either.

20. qwwwizx

qwwwizx Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680SO
    If you havent touched powertager, you will see that your boost is limited when running the benchmark. To archieve full 1250 boost, you need to set boost to max, and in that case you card might not be stable anymore.