Thoughts on the new Quadro GP100

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by user1, Feb 17, 2017.

1. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
  2. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    It's not a gamer card. Its for CAD and PS and Premiere and DAW

3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Thank you for pointing out the most obvious thing you possibly could have.

I guess I should have phrased it as,
    "what do you think of the Most powerful graphics card nvidia has ever created. and do you think nvidia will release a consumer version(a '''gamer''' card)"

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Doesn't mean you can't game on it.

It will obviously be significantly faster than the TitanP in specific cases.
    But one can expect prices to be extremely high too.

A fully unlocked GP102 with 3840 cores + hbm would be nice though.
    They could do that in the future like a Titan XP Black edition.

They won't release a consumer version of GP100 though.
    GP102 is all we will get.

5. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Theres video cards that cost thousands of dollars so they can do full OpenGL on Studio Max. There isn't proper code or architecture to be able to run games

It's not meant for gaming, what else can I say. Its a workstaion graphics card that can cost up to 3k, the one your talking about here I don't know the price but I do know its more expensive then a 1080 Ti which will be coming in March. thx gl

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The article said at least $5k.

No, i don't think there will be a consumer card based on this.

7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I think you have a fundimental misunderstanding of what a workstation card is, Its graphics card.

the only major differences are:
    1 the drivers used(though normal geforce drivers can be used),
    2 features like 12bit monitor support , better fp64 support,and sometimes ECC memory which are used for things like photoshop compute ect.

Other than that everything tends to be the same, even the pcb usually is the same if the card has a consumer counterpart like the titan X (P) and the quadro p6000

Infact in the past with some cards, you could mod them to be Functionally identical to a quadro with as little as soldering a few resistors and flashing the right vbios

The cost doesn't really mean anything other than it is certified for use with certain software (like solidworks ect) and is STABLE(To a high standard) for use with said software, supports the features described above, and has driver support for much longer. they can charge 5000 dollars because they can, not because the card costs 3000$ to make.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  9. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Just to clarify some stuff, Quadro cards aren't meant to be blazingly faster than their equivalent gamer cards.
    Rather they are aimed at having more like reference pixel quality and not taking driver shortcuts when rendering. Having stable polygons...
    Also being able to stay alive longer with better components and in certain models lots of bandwidth for large data sets, or ability to sync video with other sources. Different Quadro cards for different needs.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    yet..

[​IMG]

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
  12. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Never thought posting something as innocuous as "hey look a cool new video card, what do you think of it?" would inspire such odd conflict , I don't claim any knowledge beyond the obvious.

Guess I should just avoid posting any vaguely open ended questions here since people get all worked up so easily. geez:smoke:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You should probably do research before you make those statements.

A quadro card can be faster in games, evident by those benchmarks someone posted above..

14. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    All i can say is if you don't like the thread don't post in it, threads fade to the abyss of the second and third page faster if you dont.

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    There's been rumors *forever* of a GP100/102 being the basis for the GTX1080Ti.
    So, I don't know where to classify this. :)

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Uh...no offense but I think you're mischaracterizing (an emotional fantasy argument) about 90% of the posts and threads that are created on an *enthusiasts* forum. :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017

17. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    I use to think like you. But then I realized there's too many to try and persuade and its best to just let them figure out what the proper way to go about things on the internet are. No one forces anyone to act or behave a certain way on here and if only that were the case in the real world, it might be a better place, but its not.

If inquiries like the OP's make you feel uncomfortable (or as the trolls refer to as "triggered") then its a warning that your ego is causing you to push your agenda farther than necessary.

The OP may honestly not realize what a workstation graphics card's advantages\disadvantages are. Instead of assuming what they act like universally, give them the benefit of the doubt and ask them why they think its interesting or their reasoning for their opinion. We all started without this knowledge at some point so teach instead of trash.

This could come off as a little harsh to those you don't know. To some, what you stated in your first post could be considered obvious to those more knowledgeable on the subject.

So I contribute something to this thread,

The GP100 as others have stated is not planned to be released as a consumer product. That's what the GP10(2) was created for (without FP64, ECC memory, NVlink, etc.). It can be used as a gaming card, but isnt much benefit in price/performance over what you get with a Pascal Titan X.

NVLink is what 'should' replace SLI (as it was thought to have even on consumer pascal products, but cost per unit might not be ideal for the tech?) as it offers much more bandwidth between cards than what PCI Express can offer.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017