Windows 8 #2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by hallryu, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i entered my upgrade KEY which i use at home and my pc at work didnt accepted it. dont know why. it is a USB windows 8 pro version which is i downloaded from MS anyway.

Anyway, applied some Windows Update to the OS. a BUY NEW LICENSE button appeared and i followed instructions and paid 199 euros. damn.

2. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    You paid how much? Didn't you get something like the "activate by phone" option? I always use that and it works great.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You can't have a single Windows license activated on 2 PC's at the same time if they're both connected to the internet. Also, he stated he wanted to buy another license.

4. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Yes, I know. 199 sounds like a very steep price though, something that could only be found in the Microsoft store :D I'd guess software was a little cheaper in Turkey and that price was at least twice as much as you'd pay over here (4 times as much as the update would cost).

5. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Updated my spare machine to 8.1 and found out comodo firewall/ internet security doesn't work :/ so I guess I'll have to wait before doing my main machine.

On the plus side they have made some great changes especially to the metro start screen (bigger and smaller titles was very much needed)

6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Use Windows 7 firewall control. I've been using the paid version for a couple of years, very powerful 64 bit firewall.

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/

7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Or get a proper router and configure the firewall on that thing...

8. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    I have both and a tin foil hat :)

9. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Obviously that would be the best solution :D

I can't count the number of times the Windows firewall tried to fool me. Now the only thing I use is my router's firewall, especially its port triggering feature. Hasn't let me down a single time yet.

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Or you could do that, yes. Personally I really like this software firewall, it blocks everything, and I mean everything. Hardware firewalls are not really that configurable.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Every user is a bit different. I go back and forth between XP, 7 and 8 constantly. We use XP and 7 at work. I use 7 and 8 at home. I've gotten so used to Win8, and have invested time into configuring them to match my usage exactly, that working in XP or 7 feels like moving in slow motion. It rarely takes more than 2 clicks for me to access anything. Everything I use is either pinned to the taskbar or has a shortcut on the desktop, which is what I always did in 7 anyway. Just seems more logical that way....and it also increases productivity over using the start menu for anything.

12. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    That's why I thought everyone hating on the new start screen was thoughtless and stupid. Who ever really has dozens and dozens of programs installed at any given time, let alone has more than a select few that they use on a regular basis? Shortcuts for what you always use, start screen for what you rarely use.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I can understand having a lot of software installed. My dad used to have so many programs installed that his start menu took up the entire screen. What I don't understand is how people can use their computer in it's default configuration. I have to customize things to suit my needs. This claim that Win8 is "unintuitive" makes me wonder how many people actually know what the word means. It's impossible to design a UI that works perfectly for all users. That's why we have the ability to customize (to an extent). Personally, for me, Progman from Win3.x was far more "intuitive" than Explorer and it's start menu.....

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yeah, I'm back on 8 again. For all my whining, I'm just too used to 8 now. It was fun trying to bring up the charm bar in 7 and confusing myself. At least the first few times.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I go through that every time I use my wife's laptop or the computers at work...

16. S3rgin

S3rgin Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX2080Ti FE
    Been there...

It's funny how reluctant I was to migrate to Windows 8 and now that I am back to Windows 7 I see how ease to use Windows 8 really is.

17. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Comodo 6.3 was released today with full 8.1 support :)

Guess it's time to upgrade my main pc.

18. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    So in 10 days time will we be able to purchase a copy of Windows 8.1 then? I know I could just purchase a copy of 8 now and get 8.1 downloaded. I'm just asking it will be on sale for the likes of Amazon?

I might wait.

19. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    uuhm.... not sure about in the UK, but here in the US, they have pre-order specials again. Not the $40 that the Windows 8 Pro upgrade was.... but not bad. Think it's like $180 for Win 8.1 Pro.... don't remember though.

20. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I would like a pre-order special in the UK! If anyone hears of one give us all a shout