Are you going ivy? why or why not?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Deleted member 216176, May 3, 2012.

1. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

No, I can run my cpu at 5GHz+ and still have a silent and cool system, and this is with an average chip. Ivy bridge simply cant match that so absolutely no point in switching.

2. maddy2012

maddy2012 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I nearly did, cos i wanted something shiny and new =P

Gonna use the money to watercool the rest of my rig instead, really can't see my cpu struggling for a few years yet anyway.

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I went ivy last night,after five minutes i wanted to throw it in the middle of the street but its coming along ok now.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    temps gino?

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    At stock it's much cooler than my old 2600K (which my bro now happily uses - what a nice step from E8400).

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    ^^more interested in load

7. GbgbSome awesome replies so far guys, thanks thus far.

Wilson my man! Sup?

While right now all i technically need is a quad, im thinking more and more about the future because for too long ive been stuck with a system with no upgradability (stuck on ddr2, cant upgrade my cpu etc) so the x79 route is becoming rather enticing right now...more powerful cpus will be cpmpatible down the line so i could move to a better cpu with more cores and threads in a year or so without a problem...with z77 we wont see more than a quadcore with ht. So im looking for good deals in nz for a 3820 with 16gb ram and prob a p9x79...oh actually, is there a x79 board that has the 8xdimms and a regular pci slot which can be used while having two gfx cards?

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Mid 40's in full load when encoding video with latest x264 encoder.

9. Yikes those are nice temps, tried stress testing with p95 or anything? You might have a golden chip there like hilberts which seems to clock much higher than the average 3770k due to significantly less heat.

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I agree for the most part.

I only have a 3570k so it may be cooler then say a chip with ht on.
    Its runs so so for temps
    I only used the most cpu damanding bench i will run on it,not ibt or occt.
    Yup only 06 cpu tests lol\,supermega mega cooler that i use for sb and a 250cfm fan
    Heres five cpu tests looped and 2 full runs max i could do with voltage and stay under 80c

[​IMG]

started getting alittle hot for me 85c is the most i'd like to see on my bench air rigs
    with around 1.41sh real 4.9 + was ok at that voltage,the cpu test x3 looped then full run
    [​IMG]
    01 03 05 am3 were np at 5.0+ with same voltage and lower temps too boot
    think i can wait a day or so till its colder to push it more in the volts department.
    it might not see air again till i get a bios for my p67 ud7 that will work on k chips.

11. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    going from a 1090t to this is like a breath of fresh air. I am very happy with my purchase. I'm on a stock cooler right now and i see around 40c temps at stock settings.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Looks like the issue about the temperature might have been with the reviewer CPUs? Looks like retail CPUs aren't having much problems overclocking...

P.S: Next time please shrink your screenshots, not everyone has giant screens, it alters the forum zoom sizes especially on tablets.

deltatux

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Just started to do OC testing. So far so good, min 50's when encoding with x264 encoder at 4.3GHz. Going to try 3DMark11 next before Prime. Voltages are 1.152v under full load. I would be a bit surprised if this is prime stable but we'll see.

In any case, this is cooler than my old 2600K.

EDIT:
    Prime stress testing in progress... Extremely happy with the temperature so far. Maximum temp in 3DMark11 was 49c XD, Prime looking good so far.

14. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I went from a 2600K to my 3770K.

Those saying it's not worth it are wrong.

I have LOWER temps at 4.4ghz compared to my 2600K at 4.4ghz. I'd idle at 38C on my sandy bridge with a CM V6 cooler. Now I idle 28-32C.

Load temps went down about 5C on average.

All this excess heat must be with the stock cooler. I could understand why it'd run a bit warmer then without a good 3rd party cooler.

Also another big point in me getting this chip is, less power 22nm, and pci-e 3.0 support.

Now both of my card run in 3.0 x8, and I've noticed more consistent FPS in my games even running Crossfire. I'm not saying I've gained like 100 FPS or anything, it's a smoother FPS, I don't dip down as low anymore in some games like BF3.

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Same thing here (the temperature advantage is even bigger in my case, though). Runs cooler at 4.3 GHz than my 2600K.

Anyways, this is what I will be using (1h Prime stable, if it fails in real life I give more voltage):
    [​IMG]

16. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC

Hi, tnx for great info! But this is not entirely true.

Things change a lot at 4.6ghz+ (1.25v+). Did you see Cowie's temps at 4.89ghz? :)

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    But then again IB is faster clock to clock. All that I care, is that it runs cooelr and uses less power than SB with reasonable overclock.
    [​IMG]

18. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I was waiting for Ivy Bridge a couple of months to upgrade from a s775 Q9505 and when the first reviews came in i was disappointed by the high temps when overclocking and the minimal performance gain.The main things i was interested in was overclocking and pci-e 3.0 so i ordered 2700K which has been tried and tested instead of getting a 3770K and regretting it.

19. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC

That's true and its faster in all games,
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=551

Don't get me wrong I didnt say its bad, but it can be after 4.6ghz. And if OC'ing is someones main goal then better stay away from Ivy ^^

20. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Oh of course temps go up at those speeds. That's why I use what I consider best temp/performance area of 4.4ghz.

Temps are great, performance is great. Anything more IMHO is only good for benchmarking.

I used 4.4ghz on my SB and since using 4.4ghz on my IB, I can safely say the IB is faster all around with lower temps.