i7 940 Overclock Help

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Punisher64, May 21, 2013.

1. Punisher64

Punisher64 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 Lightning
    So I am having trouble overclocking this 940 of mine...I haven't overclocked this chipset before. I have an EVGA x58 board with a C0/C1 940. Anyone have similar with settings that I can try? Or a guide to overclocking this guy? I am on air by the way.

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    For starters, turn hyperthreading off, it's not necessary. You can probably top 3.8 GHz with your chip/stepping. Up voltage to 1.3, set RAM at 1066 MHz, 9-9-9-24 and slowly up the BCLOCK at 5 MHz intervals, stress testing with intelburntest (10 passes on max) and prime 95 (blend for a few hours), until it starts BSODing or coming up with errors.

This might help: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108526

3. Punisher64

Punisher64 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 Lightning
    Why is hyperthreading not necessary? That's the main reason I upgraded from my Q6600 setup.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Its needed if you do a lot of video encoding, but games wont really use more than 4 cores at the moment. I have tested BF3 with it on and off and I get no difference in fps at all. That game is pretty heavily threaded as well. It just adds more heat as its stresses the cores more having to run two threads each. You should be able to overclock more with it OFF. I have it ON because I am getting more into video editing as it helps when encoding.

5. Punisher64

Punisher64 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 Lightning
    I have also heard to bump the multi down to 21x since they work better on odd multipliers. Is this true?

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yes it is true, i have tested this theory with a 920 and a 930 and its fact.
    Dont know why but thats just the way it is.

7. Punisher64

Punisher64 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 Lightning
    So I should bump it down to 21x then? Also, I should disable my VDROOP right?

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    No leave vdroop on as it is the same as load line calibration and can provide stability by just adding a small boost in voltage when it needs it. If i turn LLC/vdroop off on my board im unstable at 4.4.

Overclocking is all about trial and error, you need to try everything.

9. Punisher64

Punisher64 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 Lightning
    True that. So I am going to try this tonight. Also, just as an update, I have ordered an Antec Kuhler 920 to replace my stock fans. Just one last question, I should keep the 23 multi if possible right? Or should I just drop down to the 21?

10. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    Is 1.3V safe for that chipset? I thought that was a little high.

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    If you have a locked multi, better to use high FSB/lower multi.

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    This;)

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Veteran is agreeing with himself. I mean, Veteran, Veteran makes sense, right?

14. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    Haha this part made me laugh. Nice call on the Kuhler by the way, very nice cooler. But nobody has answered my question trying to spare this guy his chip...is 1.3V a safe voltage for that chip?

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    1.37500V is the max safe voltage for those first gen i7 CPUs as specified by Intel.

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Look at the quote that i made alittle closer. He asked wether he should use a multiplier of 19 or 21 so i quoted myself in a previous post with the same answer that i would have given.

Overclocking is all about trial and error, you need to try everything.

Hence the bit in bold which answers his question if read correctly.
    Next time ill make it nice and basic like A, B, C, 1, 2, 3 etc lol.

Also if we all listened to Nvidia about safe volts etc none of use would ever oc. The fact is if you want more power you have to push more energy into it, in this case its volts. Just use some common sense and dont use a silly amount.

My cpu has been running at 4.4 on the same loop since April 2010 and it still flys.

The person who has my old 920 c0 still has it running at 3.8 rock solid in all stability tests.

If i followed Intels recommended guide then i would not have an oc on the 920 or 930.

Some people are just scared and do not understand how overclocking works so they keep volts to a minimum which is ok but i like to go a little further.

Last edited: May 23, 2013