Cat 13.x Beta Drivers: Are you experiencing a crash or black screen?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I've looked at the old and new registry key created by 13.3 beta 2 and it does look a bit different now. I was expecting it to look exactly the same but there are a few changes to it. Which appear to explain why I'm not having a problem. I would guess that your problem maybe related. However, the only way I can see making sure that the registry key is properly changed to accommodate the new drivers is to completely remove it (0000 key) and use windows default video key (0000 key). Which is shared by both windows and the drivers.

Which was explained in my previous post.

2. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    There is definitely something different with the 13.3 beta 3.
    More good than bad from what I was experiencing in the 13.1 WHQL and the 13.2 betas.

Looks like my problem with black squares popping up in top left of Firefox broswer has gone after looking at an image by enlarging it then closing the tab the image is in.

Skyrim is no longer crashing to desktop randomly but can get very rare artifacting once during a session of gameplay.
    This results in the smatter of random coloured polys in the middle of the screen for one frame.
    The artifacting may not even happen in one session but may happen in another regardless of the duration the game is played.

So in my opinion despite this rare artifacting issue is the best so far for my card and what i generally use it for.

3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Have you tried reducing the vram speed if you have it overclocked?

4. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    I have nothing overclocked on this card.
    It comes pre-overclocked with a meager 10 Mhz to both core and memory.

Tried out other DX9 games noted for graphical issues with Radeon 7xxx series cards.
    Planetside 2 is fine, Borderlands 2 is fine, Chivalry - Medieval Warfare showed some strange flickering in the training area at the very start but nothing during multi player.

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
  6. ToBbErT

ToBbErT Member Guru

GPU:
    2x sapphire 7870
    Im very curious what actually is causing the freezing black screen with the sound loop. Ive got one of the earlier 7870 cards and expierenced this problem several times (very random) and it just slowly stopped from happening. It might be luck idk but i got the card for over a year and havent seen a crash in 2 months. There's a official statement on the sapphire forum

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important Information Regarding 7870 and "Black Screen" issues

There has been considerable discussion about black screen issues on AMD graphics cards. Please be aware that the “black screen” is actually a generic description of a crash.

Depending on when you receive a black screen, there can be different issues. For example:
    Black screen immediately after Windows startup – Possible driver corruption / conflict
    Black screen immediately after game opens – Possible software corruption (can be caused by System HDD, Memory), bad overclock, etc

Also be aware that SAPPHIRE has just made the following statement that is ONLY about the HD 7870, not any other series.

SAPPHIRE Technology has confirmed that a technical issue has been identified in two models of its HD 7870 series graphics cards, specifically SKU numbers 11199-16 and 11199-19 that were manufactured before Jan 23 2013 and before serial number A130300061911.

Cards with serial numbers after A130300061911 (ie A130300061912, A130300061913, etc) have already had the correction implemented.

This issue affects a very small proportion of SAPPHIRE’s production volumes and the company is doing everything it can to address it. Failure rates of SAPPHIRE products are normally very low, and the SAPPHIRE brand has a reputation for quality and reliability.

This technical issue can sometimes result in the loss of the display and a "black screen". Based on our analysis, only a small percentage (estimated 2 to 3%) of cards may exhibit the problem. The batches of product at risk have been identified, and SAPPHIRE is making every effort to provide support to customers who have experienced this problem. As such, any user who has unfortunately received one of these impacted serial numbers and had experienced the problem can have it replaced at his/her place of purchase, or through SAPPHIRE support.

Customer confidence and user satisfaction has always been highly valued by SAPPHIRE and, as ever, the company encourages users with any problems to contact SAPPHIRE support.

To all the users suffering this specific black screen with the SAPPHIRE HD 7870 model, or a different faulty card please contact your retailer (if within 1 year of purchase) or SAPPHIRE directly.

European Region: eutech@sapphiretech.com
    United States: rma@althonmicro.com
    Canada: rma@althon.com
    Asia and Pacific Region: tech@sapphiretech.com

If any users experience any issues regarding the RMA of their card, please submit a support ticket through the SAPPHIRE website and our technical team will be happy to assist.

As the official statement says, only a few batches are affected so your chances of a faulty card is dependent on the batches that your supplier received, and even if your card is from a suspect batch, you may not get the problem at all.

Thanks for your attention

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I heard bad capacitors were the problem but its still happening with the new cards,other models and many brands. If this turns out to be a driver issue instead of hardware then AMD is in big trouble. Lets hope the truth comes out soon.

7. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    bug is between 12.9 beta drivers and 13.x..

Seems like 13.x only bug.. Since testing currently 12.8 and power save bug doesn't exist, so it cannot be upgrade to Windows 8 or Radeon HD 7xxx series
    drivers. Seems to be at point 12.9 where they released the bug fix to some laptop new power save feature something was screwed up. This is driver level
    bug so it will be damn hard to debug from new released drivers too.