Unreal Engine 4 'Infiltrator' Demo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nice tech demo.

And here is how it will look after being downsized for cross-platform launches:

[​IMG]

3. spex_2

spex_2 Guest

GPU:
    a
    chillin, thats the same thing i thought.

do we know on what hardware this demo was running?

anyway, the huge optical gap between the now ( bf3/crysis 3 ) and the shown "next gen" (ps4 tech demos / unreal 4 tech demo) is absolutely massive. it is hard to believe, that this will come tu us @ home in about 12 months.

what i believe is, they gain a huge optical boost on the new console hardware, with tweaks and tricks to come close to the things shown. on the pc we will see lousy ports because of the lack of will, time and money to do it proper. so they sell more console hw, the pc will be left behind again and all the next gen grafix bloom will only be a smokebomb from the marketing machinery.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It was shown on a single GTX680. And why would we see lousy ports? The PS4 is and the 720 is rumored to both have PC hardware. It's not even a port anymore.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    wrong thread.

6. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    I like it, the unreal engine is going in the right direction.

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Its all well and good having flashy graphics but what I want is proper optimizations. Better performance as well as better graphics. They push as many particles and textures as they want to unless we actually have hardware they can run it properly WITH a power hungry OS in the background then I shall be happy.

Also, video of tech demos are never one to go by, as its been recorded to a video file and that video file will be, compressed, capped at 24fps or 30fps, and this may not even be the demo running in full detail... They could of turned stuff down to maintain a fluid frame rate.

What I want to see is a real time demo, record on a camera someone actually playing the demo or the demo actually running on a PC with current hardware with all the bells and whistles turned on and show us what frame rates it gets. Its that simple, if they showed us that I would be impressed :)

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Hmmm, yes and no. Comparing PS4, Xbox Next, and PC (Windows) would be like comparing Linux and Windows, and saying that a program moved over from Linux to Windows isn't ported. Same hardware, but same issues as with console ports (potentially buggy and slow).

If any thing, if the porting is more simple it will mean less likelihood of better graphics on PC. Games ported from Xbox Next would be the Directx based games, and games from PS4 the OpenGL games. It means we probably won't get much extra graphical stuff added to Xbox Next and PS4 Ports, and they'll probably do the same old trick of directly porting the textures, or upsampling the textures. I highly doubt they'd do things properly and make textures for PC that they downsample, noooo, that makes too much sense!

9. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    -insert bandwagon console bashing post here-

10. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    WOW?? Holly molly. Nice demo... Really nice demo.. REALLY, REALLY NICE DEMO!! Did I said already how nice this demo is? :D

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Because this thing ran on a system with a GTX 680 (which is far stronger than the GPU in the PS4), an i7 (which is another world away from the pathetic CPU in the PS4) and 16GB of RAM + 4GB (safe to assume) on the GTX680; not to mention probably an SSD, etc.

Good luck with that.

12. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Sad, but probably true...

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Linux to Windows ports are only an issue when you're going from Direct3D to OpenGL. ID has no problems porting all it's OpenGL games to Linux with excellent performance. Further, the 720 will presumably use Direct3D for it's console development. If it indeed uses x86 hardware and standard GPU architecture it will literally be a PC. Microsoft development tools are the best afaic and that will mean we will see excellent ports.

Also I disagree with you're last paragraph entirely. What reason was there before hand to put better graphics into the game? Regardless it costs money and that's all that matters.

It's 2.5TF vs 1.84TF. 25%. The CPU is irrelevant in consoles for the most part as the rendering pipeline is highly optimized for the hardware and there are no background tasks or other items eating CPU cycles.

The amount of ram is whatever for games as all textures that are being rendered are stored on the GPU. PS4 GPU has access to probably 6GB (I figured at least 2 will be used by other stuff) vs 4GB on the 680 (I think far more users have the 2GB version).

Plus you have no clue what the framerate is of the demo, for all you know it's running at 100FPS scaled down and you still get 75fps which is more than playable, especially since most console gamers are used to like 30fps.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

next gen for pc's sure, next gen for consoles, doubt full we still have yet to see the visuals that where initial show for Killzone 2 on current consoles cause there was night and day difference between what was initial shown there and what we actual got when the game came out.

15. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Could please somebody clean the simulated dirt on the simulated lens of the simulated camera? Thank you :)

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Which is already why we saw a scale down of the previous tech demo, Elemental, in order to get it to run on the PS4:

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/51...gine-4-elemental-demo-comparison-pc-left-.php

[​IMG]

(top is PC):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is 6-9 months before the console even launches.

And the CPU does matter even on a console, why does it magically cease to exist as an impediment on a console vs a PC game? Even Anandtech tweeted how disappointed he was with the CPU side.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    One is running D3D the other is OpenGL, there are bound to be differences in graphics between the two especially when it comes to lighting as the shaders are totally different. Also why would the textures be limited on PS4? It has nearly the same texture bandwidth as the GTX680 and has access way to more memory. Anyway, we don't even know how long Epic has had to optimize their engine for the PS4. AMD's SIMD architecture barely gets utilized properly now as a 7970 despite having significantly more shader performance than 680 performs similarly. Once these games are optimized to fill all those SIMDs the performance gap will close.

As for the CPU, it hardly matters on a PC either. Look at AMD vs Intel, AMD despite performing worse in pretty much everything matches Intel when the load is GPU bottlenecked. Which is going to be the case in pretty much everything next-gen. On a console it's even less, especially considering they are offloading more and more onto either specialized chips (like PS4's encoding unit or PS4's GPU based physics)

I'm also pretty sure that the engineers who have been designing CPUs and GPU's for the last 15 or so years know how properly strike a balance between the two, especially AMD who have been dominating in the APU area.

I mean obviously these consoles aren't going to be as good as PCs. But they aren't terrible and they are more than capable of running this demo at decent framerate. And because the hardware is so similar to that of a PC ports off the consoles should be less buggy and should have better performance. Hopefully they'll take the time it used to, to implement better control schemes for mouse and keyboard.

18. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    BS buddy is that why AMD CPU's can't keep up with there own GPU's , CPU matters alot , it feeds the GPU and dont think of bad console ports as an example either.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well Jaguar will be a lot better then Bulldozer/Vishera architecture, also it won't have 2 shared threads per module, but each module with its own thread.. If Bulldozer had this apporach it would crush current SB/IB.

20. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Yea Key word there , It Would... Where is it.....living in theory.
    OMG if it had this and it did this ohh wait...It doesn't exist.