core, PLL, and vram voltage for power edition gtx 670??

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by tviceman, Jun 24, 2012.

1. fgw

fgw Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX Lightning
    what are your results, pls post some info:

interested in:
    • max possible voltage achievable with afterburner 2.2.3
    • your max stable oc and the applied voltage
    • bios version of your card

still not decided if i will go with the 680 lightning or the 670 pe you have.

thanks

2. darkadi

darkadi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PE/OC
    Hi, I’ve noticed that score in 3Dmark11 decreased while I add some voltage in MSI Afterburner 2.2.3 (+20mv core voltage, +50 core clock, power limit 114, +600MHz memory clock, P score ~ 9600 ) but when I put +0mv on core voltage, +50 core clock, power limit 114, +600MHz memory clock, anything else untouched P score is ~ 9800. More Vcore = less score in 3Dmark11.
    Anybody have seen this weird thing?

3. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    Hi~
    This is likely to occur.
    Because this is the NVIDIA limit chip works, overvoltage maybe decline in the value of Boost.
    But if you adjust more offset value will need adjust more voltage,the result is score will enhanced.
    Thanks.

4. Xnerdz

Xnerdz Guest

GPU:
    MSI 670 PE OC 2G
    Sorry for the late answer (been one week on vacation)

In heaven at 1920x1080 at maxed settings:
    With 2.2.2: 53.3fps max
    With 2.2.3: 55.0fps max (with only +40mV on core +30mem +30aux)
    so it DOES help alot. All thanks to Unwinder.
    Notice that 55fps in heaven with those settings is in avg OCed 680 range score (without overvoltage though). So here is your answer between a PE or a lightning.
    If you need more info, tell me and I will post some pics.

Ya, mine throtles down when I add more voltage but it still helps in general so I don't care at all, it's just a new parameter to handle when benchmarking now (no thanks to nvidia lol)
    Yet I haven't tested the overvoltage in 3dmark so I can't say if it really hurts.

5. tviceman

tviceman Guest

GPU:
    msi power edition gtx 670
    Why is my gtx670 PE now suddenly being detected as a gtx680 in afterburner 2.2.3 and I no longer have voltage control for the vram or pll? It is happening with both the latest drivers and the previous beta's.

:(

6. SirPauly

SirPauly Member

GPU:
    GTX
    FWIW: AfterBurner is listed as GTX 670PE with the 306.02 drivers here and volts are adjustable.

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Sad news, due to NVIDIA pressure MSI will be releasing 2.2.4 with capped core voltage control for 680 Lightnings. So I don't recommend Lightning owners to upgrade.
    Personally I'm really mad with such decision.

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    really?damb that sucks
    I hear that the newer lightning's dont like older unlocked ln2 bios either.
    welcome back hope you had a good vaca

9. Eluder

Eluder Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    What is the capped voltage going to be?
    Guess my GTX 680 Lightning is the first and last MSI GPU I buy.

10. Unwinder

it will be standard 1175mV, similar to all other 680 on the market. Advanced core voltage control of Lightning will be totally disabled, so it won't be different comparing to any other 680.

11. Eluder

Eluder Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Wow, maybe this is my last nVidia product too... I haven't had one in 10 years probably as I've been using ATI/AMD forever, and I finally switch to team green and they do this.

Adios to nVidia I guess! Back to AMD for me for my next card.

12. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
    In fact, that's really sad news Unwinder... I feel raped by MSi once again, I bought the "top-notch" 680 and now I will end up with a reference one, should have bought the DCII instead or any reference one and same me a lot of a bucks... Shame on MSi for advertising and selling what they cannot stand.

The only way out is to keep using 2.2.3 right? I guess we'll be losing the new AB enhancements... If I'm not mistaken, we'll be stuck with drivers either, Nvidia will surely launch new drivers with some new tweak so AB 2.2.3 no longer work with them, and we will be forced to let voltage control behind if we want to be up to date with drivers.

HUGE disapointment here, shame on MSi for first fooling us by selling a feature the didn't even know for sure it was posible, and then for letting us down when things got warm.

Kind Regards as always Unwinder, I hope you can independantly bring us some relief, but I know your hands may be tied this time...

13. Unwinder

2.2.4, which MSI is planning to release soon, is 2.2.3 binary with edited MSI hardware database. So it is be possible for power users to edit the profiles to disable standard NVIDIA voltage control and unlock direct unlimited voltage control via PWM. Not sure if MSI will require to add some additional locks to future versions.

14. famich

famich Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780TI SLI@1250
    Hello, Unwinder, let me to thank you for your information - I do feel the same,
    managed to get an excellent card that can do 1430 MHz on air :)
    and I have planned to put it on water and have a nice boost for the time to come .

Can we hope that you will give us some hints as to edit those setting in the future AFB release ? Thanks .. I think in this way we could fool the future drivers as well

15. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
    Thanks for the extended info regarding 2.2.4 Alexey. Have to wait and see what the tie brings then... And hope that uber skilled people like you find workarounds for this non-sense regulation.

One last and may be silly question: unlocked LN2 BIOS will continue to work as intended (1210mv vs 1175mv/300% vs 133%) or Msi/Nvidia is going to restrict that too?

Kind Regards and thanks once again for your support.

16. Unwinder

Some black magic for 680 Lightning owners:

On 2.2.4 you may edit Lightning hardware profile files (.\Profiles\VEN_10DE&DEV_1180....cfg) and add the following lines there:

[Settings]
    VDDC_Generic_Detection = 0
    VDDC_CHL8318_Detection = 46h
    VDDC_CHL8318_Type = 1

Those lines disable NVIDIA's capped voltage control module, enable voltage control via direct access to CHL8318 and select offset voltage control mode for it.

Note: each card profile must be edited for SLI configs.

17. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
    Thanks indeed Unwinder!!!!!!!! :cheers:

18. famich

famich Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780TI SLI@1250
    Thanks , Alexey - SPASIBO !!

19. Eluder

Eluder Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Good to know that you put a nice loophole in there for us Unwinder. I'm sure all Lightning owners appreciate that.

20. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    You so da man