FINALLY!!! r9 290 & 290x available for under 400$ :D

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by main_shoby, Apr 11, 2014.

1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I see this assumption that the cards have been abused because of running 24/7 *in harsh conditions* everywhere. Literally everywhere. Cards know how to protect themselves. AMD / Nvidia wouldn't sell you a card that they know doesn't last as least as long as the warranty period even if it is *abused*. Second of all, which *smart* miners overclock heavily or play with the voltage? So that they spend more on power?

Yeah, when you stack multiple cards you will get higher temperatures. Running a GPU 24/7 does NOT kill it, where did you hear that?... I've been folding for 3 years now, 24/7, yeah my cards are not dead for sure.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  2. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    still, we know not to get mining cards, but that is not going to change the insane amount of supply injection in the market. this will lower AMD card's demand and ultimately we will see 290x for 500$ new from vendors. consequently, 500$ 290x will cause 780ti and gtx 780's prices to drop.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It depends what you want but the price difference is hardly anything. However, when both are overclocked to offer similar speed NVIDIA has massive noise & temperature advantage.

I had few annoyances with the card that made me switch back: zero core power saving is just damn buggy. Sometimes it fails to power up the card correctly and you have to replug display (could be 75Hz issue) to get the picture after idling (if zero core kicked in). Also I need to restart speedfan every time zero core activates or it will report -999c for GPU temp and 0 RPM fan speed (though that is likely speedfan bug but still). Also VRAM power saving doesn't work at all when using 75Hz (thus idle temps are 20c higher than on GTX 780). Also 2d desktop power saving just simply sucks. 290 obviously dumps a lot more heat in your case and is noisier than GTX 780 with same cooler.

It's not possible to enhance AA (i.e. 2xMSAA in game, enhance it to 8xMSAA). You can't mix, say 8xMSAA and 4xTrSSAA because samples go hand in hand with MSAA (and in general adaptive AA looks worse than NVIDIA's TrSSAA). It's not possible to tinker with AA so it either works or it doesn't and often looks worse than what you can get with NVIDIA using custom AA bits. Also MLAA just sucks and is incredibly resource heavy. I have to say that I really missed TXAA. I just happen to love it. Also downsampling is just so simple.

I've noticed some weirdness like slow window resizing in certain situations (foobar with waveform seeker bar, WMP when playing video).

So yeah, 290 isn't the best choice for me.

4. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Hmm, I never owned r9 290/X, So i cant comment on those. Instead, I used to own 7970 in xfire non-reference versions from sapphire. they were pretty damn good lol, no driver issues etc. I bought them for 230$ each box packed from newegg. To me, Amd is just cheaper than nvidia while it does perform same. with nvidia you get better driver \ SLI profile support to begin with, while AMD catches up slowly. all this is my personal analysis lol, dont bash me :D

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I heard it from one local miner, he had a couple 7970s and vram couldnt handle it and busted..

And I've seen this data by overclockers.uk store, for example 290 PCS+ says its not suitable for mining, even though it has a killer cooler on top of it

edit: ah they removed hash mining info lol :D
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-166-PC

6. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    yeah above all of that , downsampling is an issue and also the heat.
    but, with the custom cooler heat is not a problem atall.
    dont care about aa so donot know about that, but guess radeon pro helps alot.

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Even with custom cooler, heat is still a problem unless you want lower performance than what's possible to squeeze out from almost every GTX 780. My MSI 290 Gaming hits 85c @ 1,1 GHz and at that speed it's roughly equal to GTX 780 at 1176-1200 MHz (depends what you use as a benchmark though). Without OC, 290 does have performance advantage (I don't know about reference though, especially if they throttle).

Also in this case RadeonPro doesn't help.

8. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah I understand.

Something peaceful to listen to for you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T36RA7j4Xug

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    As with many things comes down to preference. for example nvidia offers nothing for me over amd in terms of gaming ^^

10. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080

11. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    i will pay you that money for 290x israel price are too high

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  13. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    lol @ first you need 500 :D passive trolling!
    well played :p