24 gb ram +120gb sdd +1tb hdd, do i need a pagefile? on either drive?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by DeathAngel74, Aug 12, 2014.

1. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
    I just got a new ssd and i've read mixed reviews about page/swap files. some ppl say to disable it with 24gb of ram , others say set the pagefile to the same size of the ram....min-24576, max-24576. Or should I let windows manage it? sorry if this has already been asked, but its confusing, lol

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Consensus is - only if you have applications which refuse to work without page file.

3. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I agree with mbk1969, in most cases (apps and/or games) if you have enough RAM you don't need pagefile at all. I have two rigs at home with similar combination like yours: 24GB RAM + 120GB SSD, one with 1TB HDD, other with 640GB HDD. One rig is for gaming, other for video editing apps and not a single app or game I use or have used have/had need for pagefile. I've been using both rigs without pagefile for years, not a single problem, BSOD or anything else because pagefile is turned off.

So, you have to find out yourself if some apps (mainly for profiessional use) needs a pagefile. If you are using Win7 install this hotfix so that Win7 can create a dump file (for diagnostic purposes) in case of some BSOD, without pagefile and this hotfix Win7 can't create dump file. I've found out about that useful hotfix few months ago here on Guru3D thanks to helpful guys here on this topic: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=387856&page=3 ...but still I'm using Win7 for years without single BSOD on many of my rigs, but I've installed that hotfix on all rigs without pagefile (with 8GB+ of RAM), just in case something goes wrong...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah, just make like a 100-1000mb manual pagefile on your SSD. Mostly for legacy reasons. I set mine to 800mb, but you could probably do with less. You will see no difference in speed, especially on Win8 in my experience, but at least you save potentially a good 24gb+ of space.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm with Cyberdyne here.

Although, if you're concerned about potential issues, manually create a very small pagefile on your SSD. Otherwise, disable the pagefile entirely and have a nice day.

6. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    There's no reason at all to remove the pagefile.

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    There's no reason to have it anymore. But on smaller drives you can at least save a little space for something else, and save a few write cycles to the SSD.
    More benefits to disabling it versus keeping it.
    <- Been pagefile free since XP!

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    36GB of storage space is a good reason.

9. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    I suggest you allways keep a pagefile

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    As I understand it, pagefile is bad for SSDs, so I've turend it off on my rig. 16 GB of RAM is more than enough for most things, and to save wearing the drive out. My other rig (X58) has 24 GB of RAM and a 128 GB SSD, disabled there, too. Only place I leave it on is my OLD (P4) rig with a standard SATA HDD in it.

11. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    ^^^ "Good advice" from someone with Z79 mobo (LGA 2011) driving Core i7-2600K (LGA 1155) on it. "keep a pagefile" without further explanation, yeah right...

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I even disabled PF on the X58 rig I just built for my mate, and it's only got 3GB installed......

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  13. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    8GB RAM and haven't used a pagefile for years. It was however needed in a 6GB RAM system with Crysis 1 in 64bit and some fan made missions.. Ran out of RAM.

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    That gets real risky. Soon as an app or game pushes over or close to 3gb expect crashes and bsods.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Not a problem - if that happens we can just make a small PF....3GB is only short term anyway, he'll have 6GB pretty soon....(triple channel).

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I just moved my PF to a 3TB storage drive to free up the space on the SSD's.