GTX 770 low gpu usage

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by kens30, Aug 24, 2013.

1. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Ok i think i know what the problem is but i just want confirmation just to be 100% sure.
    Since i received my new Asus gtx770 everything in all games i have tested worked fine with vsync off 99% gpu usage all the time since yesterday i started getting various gpu usage drops as low as 60% while the core clock remains stable so i opened up gpu-z and ran the Heaven Benchmark 4.0 while monitoring the sensors when the drops occur the 12V reading from 12.05 v drops to 11.80v,11.20v up again to 12v ,I have all settings in my pc (cpu,gpu) at default clocks.Is the 12V sensor in gpu-z the reading of my psu 12v line?
    If it is then i assume my psu has degraded and can't give a stable 12.05V like it used to.....
    I would really appreciate some info if i am correct..
    Thanks.
    EDIT: I hope that it is not the PSU as i am completely broke and without a job so there is no chance in buying one anytime soon(F--- I hate GREECE)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's normal.

3. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Exactly what is normal it wasn't doing this for over a week even at my cpu overclock to 4.7ghz does this.heaven benchmark and all games with vsync off gave me 99 gpu usage all the time and i am not cpu bottlenecked .

4. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Just did another test at 4.7 ghz in heaven benchmark and when the gpu usage drops to 0%
    the 12V reading in gpu-z is 0.00 when the drop occurs any ideas anyone?

5. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Same results with different drivers ?

What driver are you using ?

Have you tried reseating the card\PCIe power connections, cleared CMOS ?

Know anyone with a capable PSU you can use for testing ?

6. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Yes i have tried all drivers since launch date of the 770 currently i am on the latest beta drivers 326.80 I have not tried reseating the card have on the PCIe power connections and haven't cleared cmos, and unfortunately no one that i know has such a psu.
    I have cleaned installed windows drivers etc..even removing all hard drives, fans and leaving just the ssd..
    I will try reseating the card and clear the cmos and see how that goes..
    The strange thing is since i got the card on fresh install of windows everything was working just fine. and by the way on gpu-z the VDDC Current reaches about 42 A is this the power draw of the card itself?

7. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    your OC on the GPU is way too high, what happens is that the card itself doesnt stop working or giving errors but it just stops taking power which makes the performance drastically drop, or even reaches 0.

I had GTX 680 Lightning before the Titan and I know what im talking about, I suggest you take off the mem clock to stock and back down a core clock a bit, then test it in Unigine 4.0.

I've seen that at certain point when the boat scene is reached for the first time, my power draw of the card would fall for around 40% and wouldnt go above anymore then lets say 60%, giving poor performance all the time after, until the PC reset.

One of the members here suggested that is the way of drivers backing down, so that the card doesnt crash, I've took off a small chunk of OC on both memory and core, only to find out that didnt happen anymore, and it stayed normal that way.

Btw I wouldnt suggest you using more than 7200-7400 on mem clock, always aim for the highest core clock, because it gives more FPS, and mem clock is only helping minimum FPS to stay a bit higher.

8. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I am not currently using the clocks in my profile that was just my maximum stable overclock
    and it did not have this issue overclocked anyway it still does it at default clocks which are GPU Base Clock : 1058 MHz GPU Boost Clock : 1110 MHz my card is the Asus GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5...

9. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    ok i underclocked the card to reference clocks and i ran Heaven my mx power draw was 74 and minimum 54 so i have a gpu that does not run stable on default clocks?

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    dont underclock the core, lower your vram clock slightly while testing each time with heaven and valley couple hours. vsync off. when you oc your vram too far performance tanks as well as gpu usage

11. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Ok i get you the thing is the memory on my card is not overclocked by default
    that's why i just underclocked the core to match Nvidias reference clocks on the gtx770.

12. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    This is getting ridiculous i underclocked the mem as far as i can go as well as the core and it still does it withing less then a 60 seconds...Is it possible that i received a faulty card?

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If it's not crashing or artifacting then how can it be faulty?

14. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I am not sure what is going on it might be the just the drivers anyway i still have 3 years warranty so i will stop testing and just run it stock from now on.Thanks a lot for your input everyone at least now i know how the kepler cards work.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Your sig says 7800 did you properly test that vram oc going up a little at a time or did you just whack it to 7800?

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Dunno but dropping gpu load in heaven does sounds odd unless it's hit the boost limit....?

17. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I overclocked my memory in small steps until it started artfacting then i backed off a couple of steps and was 100% stable (i did not apply extra voltage and i dont run the card at those frequencies in my sig they are just my max stable overclock tested with 3dmark and Heaven and a bit of gaming in metro and i reverted to stock clocks) is there a possibility that i might have damaged the ram?

18. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    My card boosts to 1150 from what i have seen this boost frequency is locked at bios level.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Tbh I think you're panicking for no reason. I'm not even completely sure why u r concerned but voltage fluctuation is completely normal.
    Erm I would crank the clocks back up too, if there's no obvious issues like artifacts etc.

Like u said 3 yr warranty so can always microwave it later on if it needs to be replaced.

20. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I am concerned because my GTX480 just died suddenly and i had to loan some money to buy a new gpu and if it is not working as intended i have 15 days from the day of purchase to return it for a replacement.And as for the GPU-Z readings as i mentioned above i don't know for sure if my psu has a problem and killed my gtx480.....
    Anyway let's not continue this any further at the time being if i have more issues down the road i will let you know.
    By the way i have seen some forum members in the drivers thread about modding the 314.22 drivers i might give that a go as a lot of users are having issues with the 320's..
    Thanks to everyone for trying to resolve my problem...:)