More info on Windows Blue

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 27, 2012.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    You do get the desktop in Windows 8...

deltatux

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ok let me rephrase i know there is desktop. Start bar is missing it not the first thing to popup. and things are missing from it.

Win8 is no faster then Win7 its give you the illusion it faster. Besdies the people that barely know how to use win7 and before, are gona be the hardest people to sell this phone/tablet style os too. Considering those people are problem the same that barely know how to use the phones.

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If you have an SSD, it's faster as the kernel has been optimized for that.

While I do miss the Start button and menu, personally I can live without that. After using the final copy of Windows 8 for a while, I noticed that I don't really miss either since I use the Windows key on my keyboard anyways and the fact that the search function is better on Windows 8 (in terms of usability).

As for relearning Windows, I understand that this is going to be painful and do agree with it.

You don't have to upgrade if you don't but I can say, it's better than my initial thoughts of the OS based on pre-release builds. 3 of 4 desktops in my house now runs Windows 8 Pro and no one has complained, even my parents who are technologically inept.

deltatux

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    im sure it is, but the old addage if it anit broke dont fix it comes to mind, The old desktop was not broke didnt not need fixing or things removed from it. They pulled this cause they feel threated by iphone and Andriod OS Which are for mobile/touch devices. A PC is not mobile devices and 99% sure as hell are not touch.

Soon as MS pulls that stick out of there ass and give back the start bar and Makes it so Metro ui or what ever they call can be disabled, And just show the desktop. I all a boarded. Till then i wont touch it, nor will i recommand it to anyone that can barely use Win7 or there phones. It one thing to learn a new os it another to try to explain it to the people that already barely know win7 and earlier.

Like i said Win8 is a 1 step forward for Touchscreen stuff. 2 steps back for desktops useability and ease.

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Sorry to say it but, it's obvious that Desktop PCs will one day die a slow and horrible death.

As tec gets smaller and cheaper Desktops will be phased out.

The future will be Mac like all in one systems that will be cheap and throw away.

The end of desktops will come when mice and keyboards are no longer needed.

This day is closer than you think. :(

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    As long as there is demand for it, it will be sold. The PC desktop market is shrinking, that's no doubt, but at the same time, a lot of corporate customers still rely on desktops as they are the workhorses for many companies.

I know some are going the thin-client model but not all companies are large enough to make that viable by redoing their infrastructure to handle the added network load. They are here to stay, but consumers will find that tablets and laptops would be better suited for them.

The DIY market will suffer as a result, companies intend to like OEM builds rather than custom builds and the mainstream computer user can't build their own computers anyways (or don't want to), that's why Intel didn't have an issue by announcing that CPUs in the future will be BGA. Only us enthusiasts had an issue with that, and personally, I've been rather troubled by it but that's just how the market is.

deltatux

7. -=WolverinE=-

-=WolverinE=- Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX560Ti DirectCu II
    Now that's just crap... The same kind that was smeared on PC games for who knows how many years now and look at that...games...games everywhere!

8. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    These people literally cannot contain themselves anytime Windows 8 is even mentioned.

Hell, even the next version.

9. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Why do all these rapid releases just for the sake of a higher version number/updgrade sticker looking better on the packaging remind me of the really terrible junk software of the 90s and early 2000? Remember all those AOL version 5.0 coasters, or crapware like Registry HUGE FIXER UPPER STABILITY SUIT ULTIMATE 8.0?

It's already bad enough Firefox does it, now Windows. Are there seriously such ocd types or morons out there that actually stop and think "gee, Apple just released a new OS but Windows hasn't in quite sometime, therefor because they're more current it must be better! NEWER = BETTER! Bigger version number = BETTER!"

I'll wait until Windows super organic natural comes out, words make me feel better about buying stuff.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  10. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Yeah, not funny anymore. In the beginning the threads were interesting to read, like the "Windows 8" thread in the OS section. Now it consists only of trolling and whining about the start menu removal, every ^%$^$% post.
    Like that's going to change anything.

Anyway, W8 is working fine on my end and i haven't missed the start menu 1 bit. Now the W8 hate crowd need to grab onto every W8 related thread to spew their crap. :bang:

11. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Frankly, they sound like 80 year olds who yell and shake their canes at the whippersnappers who walk by. Telling them about how it used to be in their day.

No one cares.

12. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Typical W8 fanboys, bash anyone who has an opinion contrary to their own.

Its not a surprise at all that people are ticked off at not having the Start Menu anymore.
    It was a standard feature of every single Windows operating system since 95, which was released almost two decades ago.

Two decades to get comfy with the standard the Start Menu set, and then suddenly in W8 POOF! Its gone.
    No slow phasing out or transition, no options or freedom of choice, its just gone.

So yeah, of course a lot of people are going to be unhappy with it.
    It would be strange if they weren't.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    [​IMG]

Best Windows yet. Keep whining :flip2:

14. TechnikL

TechnikL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 1130/1300
    this made me lol hard!

give me more color options metro, what a dipswitch.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

That's hilarious because what you folks whine about is not the core functionality, security issues, file system robustness or memory management,
    but precisely the thing what above you deem unimportant and "ADD & ADHD crowd" worthy.
    I.e. UI

But if you're gonna crap over it, how about knowing what you are dealing with :)

Metro is an internal code name of a typography-based design language created by Microsoft, originally for use in Windows Phone.
    A key design principle of Metro is better focus on the content of applications, relying more on typography and less on graphics ("content before chrome").
    Early uses of the Metro principles began as early as Microsoft Encarta 95 and MSN 2.0, and later evolved into Windows Media Center and Zune.
    Later the principles of Metro were included in Windows Phone, Microsoft's website, the Xbox 360 dashboard update, and Windows 8.

"Metro" is based on the design principles of classic Swiss graphic design.
    Early glimpses of this style could be seen in Windows Media Center for Windows XP Media Center Edition, which favored text as the primary form of navigation.
    This interface carried over into later iterations of Media Center. In 2006, Zune refreshed its interface using these principles. Microsoft designers decided to redesign the interface and with more focus on clean typography and less on UI chrome.
    These principles and the new Zune UI were carried over to Windows Phone (from which much was drawn for Windows 8).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_(design_language)

16. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Check your attitudes at the door fellas.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    And prior to Windows95, you had a much simpler UI that put programs into their own folders on the desktop. The switch from Windows3.x to Win95 was a huge change. Much larger than Win7 to Win8. Windows95 had absolutely nothing in common with Windows3.1 in terms of the UI. With Win7 and Win8, you still have the desktop component.

Here's what Windows3.x actually looked like
    [​IMG]

This is WindowsNT 3/Win9x
    [​IMG]

Notice the more drastic change? These are 2 completely different UIs

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    My apologies. The reply was attempting to state in a humorous manor that you cannot please everyone. Change will always be complained about. Nothing new.

Since there is nothing productive to come of this, I am done in this thread.

19. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Not really a comparable situation, as personal computers were still in their infancy at the time.
    Today hundreds of millions of computers run a Windows Operating System.
    Not to mention that Windows 95's UI was an undisputed improvement over Win 3.x.
    Something which is not true for Windows 8

20. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    That was also at the time Windows used to release a new version every couple of years, but only for that very reason: they were figuring stuff out and laying the groundwork down. Not to mention it was being built for desktops in mind and not tablets.

Now it's almost as bad as every time Youtube changes it layout. Changing things for the sake of changing things, changing things for the worst in some cases. It's like difference between evolution and genetic defects.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012