What is your minimum amount of sleep to function?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by FULMTL, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    6-8 is all i need.

2. najiro

najiro Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 660 2GB
    8 hours is what I need but I only get 5-6 most of the time due to work...

3. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    5-6 hours to function properly during day...8 hours for optimal performance :)

4. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    In a past life when I was young and fairly healthy I regularly would get ~5-6 hours of sleep for most of the week and try to get a nice solid 8 hours when I had a day off. I didn't really have any problems with performance that way either. Now days it's a totally different story..... :p

5. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    About 5 hours is my minimum as many public sector working parents will attest to!

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The last study I saw said around 7 is best for most people, as long as they are getting that every day.
    But it can vary with your lifestyle and body.
    If your body needs more time to recover, you may need longer.
    If your brain is worked very hard you may need longer.
    Less may suit you.
    I find that the brighter the room I sleep in, the less sleep I get by naturally waking earlier and it doesnt seem to affect me negatively.

I also read that the less sleep you have, the more it shortens your overall life, but that maybe isnt per capita, but per person, so you may need to find your own optimal before knowing what is less.

There was (supposedly) a drug developed that allowed people to stay awake indefinitely and when stopped, you could have one nights sleep and return to a normal lifestyle.
    This shortened your lifespan too.
    But after reading this report, I havent heard any more mention of it, perhaps it was a spoof?

7. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    3 hours and I can still do daily work just fine. At least 5 if I'm doing something that requires reflexes or cognitive function. :) Ideally, I try for at least 6-7.

8. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I can do ~5hours for the whole work week but I definitely need 8-9 for the weekend. 9 is my max.

9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    4 minimum and don't benefit from more than 6

10. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Straight 8 hours or my day is ruined.

11. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I used to do manual labor on 4 hours a night, and I was great. Always fresh.

Fast forward ~10 years.

Somewhere around the 5 hours (and under) mark I feel physically ill when I wake up. Worse than having a fever.
    I basically need 6+ hours just to function. 7/8 To be approaching 'normal'.

-scheherazade

12. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I've always needed loads of sleep, 8 minimum. 12 optimum. Any less than 8 and I feel terrible all day.

13. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    I can get by on 6-8 but much prefer to sleep 10 hours to get me through the day.

14. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Depends how active I've been through-out the day. 6-7 hours usually hits the spot though.

Gotta' love it you wake up thinking it's almost time for work, then you check the time and you've still got 3/4 hours till that damn alarm goes off. Woop!

On the flip side -

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  15. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    with me it really doesn't matter how many hours i sleep as long as i fall into deep sleep, will function properly and all will be well.

if my sleep is disturbed and keep waking and sleeping all night then it makes no difference, even if i sleep 12 hours when i wake up i will become absolutely untreatable, i might break things, kick doors, get startled easily by anything, curse, blaspheme and once in while become a danger to everyone including myself, my mood really takes a beating.

if my brain was a computer, i'd say i require a complete shutdown, not powersaving. :D

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    At least 4 hours to function, 6 hours for max performance. Over 8 hours gives me headaches.

17. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Recently did a 2 day stint which included working over a full day followed up with driving through the night then traveling for most of a day, then did some technical work.

Had about 5 hours sleep the day before so about that much :p

18. jcSihle

jcSihle Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno 3d + POV GTX 580 SLI
    5 hrs when I'm morning shift; 23:00 till 04:00, 8 hrs when I'm afternoon shift; 02:00 till 10:00 and 10 hrs when night shift 09:00 till 20:00 with 1 hr lunch during the day. one of the reasons why I hate morning shift cause I'm always sleepy and grumpy

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I could never sleep more than 6-7, any more and it makes me lazy and doesn't have any physical or mental benefits, even if i'm working hard or exercising twice a day.

Minimum seems to be about 3, sat up on my phone till 5 watching E3 and was up at 7 and while i got through the day i was starting to get a headache by 5pm, still managed to stay up till 1am last night though so i couldn't of been that tired.

20. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Hmm I once wrote two consecutive college exams with 4hr of sleep. It was like my brains were on steroids, easy to remember, easy to recall etc...

But then after..... needless to say.