950 vs 4770k with 660 SLI

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by JJayzX, Jun 11, 2013.

1. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    In this thread I will post benchmarks and reviews of my current setup which you can see on the side versus the new 4770k setup. I will try the best direct comparison I can in processing, video, ssd and more. The reason behind this is to help others from previous generations to get a better understanding of the difference because most things are sb and ivy comparisons to haswell. I would like to know anything you want to see tested, so I can test current setup before the switch. I will list what I have and you can give your inputs:
    BF3
    Crysis 3
    Tomb Raider
    Aida64
    3DMark
    HD Tune
    Unigine Valley

i7 950 @ 3.6 Ghz
    6 GB DDR3 1600 Triple Channel
    Evga x58 SLI3
    VS.
    i7 4770k @ stock
    8 GB DDR3 2133 Dual Channel
    Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H

Shared Specs:
    2 Evga GTX 660 FTW Sig2 SLI
    Samsung 840 250 GB SSD
    Corsair GS700 PSU

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Subbed as I'm interested to see the comparison.

3. bink1986

bink1986 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660 SuperClocked
    Subbed as well. I still have a 930, would be interesting to see the comparo

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Serious Sam 3 if you have it.

5. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Well if its any help guys, I went from a heavily overclcked i7 950 at 4.3 to a 3770k and I can tell you it's like light and day, I was blown away. Higher framerates yes but it was the smoothness. I run it at 4.7 and just as a test, there was a point in Far Cry 3 where I could only get 50fps no matter what I did, CPU bound. Now at that same place I have to drop my 3770k to 3.5 for the same framerate drop. This was running at 2560x1440 in SLI. Granted, this is not the 4770k but it will only be the same if not a touch faster so a big difference. Other games I saw huge benefits were the following.

BF3
    PLANETSIDE 2
    SERIOUS SAM 3
    THE OLD REPUBLIC ONLINE
    CRYSIS 3
    METRO LAST LIGHT

Hope this helps. Basically there is a huge benefit from upgrading.

6. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    Sorry don't have SS3 but I did 950 today so I should have 4770k set tomorrow. Sorry taking so long, just got married Sunday and been a bit busy still. I have no idea how I've been going this long without playing with the new stuff, lol.

7. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    I think an upgrade like this could very well benefit 120hz monitor users who need higher frame rates, myself it's the minimum which is most important for me and that's 60, so I am quite interested to see what most influences that, I myself have Titan SLI and it's rarely GPU usage hitting 99% which causes dips into the 50's, so I wonder if a, SYSTEM upgrade like this has any significant impact on MINIMUM FPS as well, I spent much time/money striving for GPU power to eliminate dips below 60 as this can be quite jarring (OK to me? very) when using VSYNC.

I am interested so, good work as I am, YET AGAIN about to blow near £800 on upgrades, not only because I ENJOY it but also, with one eye on it, WONDER IF IT HELPS.

Perhaps you could be sure to keep the minimum FPS as a factor? also, perhaps try with VSYNC in some titles noting how often you LOSE VSYNC stability on the older hardware vs haswell?

I think one of the most useless numbers we find in benchmarking is maximum FPS and close behind it is the average as passing a wall or something can shooot your FPS up into the hundreds even on demanding games, I find the minimum FPS, or more importantly if there was a way to set a minimum and note how OFTEN you get thrown BELOW that far far more interesting, perhaps maybe a pass with something like an MSI Afterburner FPS line graph, this perhaps gives a much much more clear overall picture of what playing a game will be like FPS wise.

Sorry, rambling now....

All interesting stuff anyway, good luck with your tests.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I have SS3 + DLC, but I upgraded from Q9450 to 4770k so the gap willl be even bigger, will post my findings later today or tomorrow.

9. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    I planned this upgrade to help the bottom end to get smoother play, so I have recorded min, avg and max. I didn't test vsync, I'll see if I can push that in today.

10. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    Here's a sample from current setup, hope you like.
    [​IMG]

11. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Really great work mate.

Now, I hope I am reading that graph wrong, or, my suspicions are confirmed in resounding fashion.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok I tried SS3 (Last man on earth map), and wow runs great, no more slowdowns - cpu @ ultra, actually now im gpu bottlenecked

Bf3 64TDM and B2K map, gpu always maxing no more slowdowns..again hitting gpu wall a lot, almost to much :grin:

13. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    Ok here is what I got, I'm gonna be heading to bed so if i lack info just ask and i'll get back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You sir are a scholar and a gentleman. huge props.

15. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    Thanks, I just need to do a few edits again due to the forum being set back. I had forgot 2 benches for the hard drives and system specs in main post.

Posts updated now.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Hmmmm.... this just proves that in terms of gaming performance the 1st gen Core i7's really do still shine and show just how much performance they brought to the table and it also shows how little Intel have come thanks to barely any competition from AMD. Sad, really sad indeed. Still, I will upgrade to a 4770K near the end of year to be more up to date. But I am considering a second 7970 instead :) temptations! DAMN YOU!

17. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    If gaming at 2560 x 1440 you won't regret the 2nd 7970. I don't think I'm getting any major bottlenecks with a "980X" at 4.2/4.4 GHz, so you should be fine.

18. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    Yea for me it was not the performance increase of cpu, which isn't much, but the power savings and and good sata3 support. The sata3 gave the best overall improvement on how smooth the computer runs and if programs eventually use the new instructions that will boost cpu performance a good amount.

19. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    test arma 2/3, natural selection 2, gta 4, planetside 2. Those will tell a clearer picture on haswell benefits over the 950.

20. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    I still have the 920 setup but I don't have an extra psu. I also still have my GTX 570, I need to sell it all. I had thought of putting it in my living room but I think it would be too big and loud for it and I need the cash really.