build my friend a rig for $2000!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by johnny87au, May 7, 2012.

1. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

Hey guys building a rig for my friend, dont have time to pick the parts etc as i have exams and assignments due this week! Anywhere from 2000-2300$ . The site i'll be using will be pccasegear.com & the rig will mainly be used for gaming ! Thanks johnny

2. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
  3. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

Thanks, more recommendations please :)

4. cole2109

cole2109 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080TI

5. Azarobi

Azarobi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870
    Does your friend need a monitor as well? if not What res monitor does he currently own ?

6. PinguX

PinguX Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
  7. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    What's the resolution of the monitor your friend owns? What about other peripherals, need upgrading?

Does he own a copy of Windows?

Does he want to OC the CPU or do you want to OC for him?

Does Blu-ray matter or is DVD fine?

Does he care if the PC makes noise or not?

8. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

Hey guys friend only needs a gaming PC meaning tower and all the hardware, no keyboard monitor,mouse etc.. And no blu ray devices and yes i have windows for him :)

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  10. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

^ Yeah that looks the most promising rig so far..

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Might be better with a Kuhler 920 but I might be a bit biased due to bad experience with my Kuhler 620.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
  13. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    Hi,
    [​IMG]
    Cheers
    Edit: To be honest the price of the GTX 680 is f'n bs, basically just to have a GTX 680 means that the other parts in your 2K build has to be sacraficed.
    Hope nvidia chokes on their profits!!!!
    Better yet, I hope AMD punches Nvidia in the proverbial nuts sometime soon.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  14. Azarobi

Azarobi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870
    Why recommend a $5xx card when you don't know the Res the guy is going to be playing on.

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Good question, but I guess it's the "you have the budget, why not?" syndrome here.

I think the GTX 670 or the Radeon HD 7970 would do the job just fine.

deltatux

16. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    The issue here is that if he's playing on 22" 1680x1050, it'd be a better idea to buy a good, big 1080p monitor, which obviously would lower the budget for the tower itself.

OP, can't really recommend anything before I know the monitor your friend is using.

Also, I'd like to know if he/you want to overclock the CPU or not.

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I noticed that even if you play at 1680x1050, a better GPU would make things like antialiasing performance a lot better. I know that I have to scale down on some special effects and antialiasing in Battlefield 3 in order to get an avg. of 55 - 60 fps (with vsync on, I can't stand tearing) on my Radeon HD 6870.

Resolution is only one of several factors to think about when quoting a GPU.

deltatux

18. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    I didn't mean the GPU you recommended would be overkill for 1680, that's user-dependent. I meant that we still need to know what the monitor is because if it's to be upgraded, the builds recommended here will have to change to accommodate the cut in budget.

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yeah that last list of specs is $800 worth of card by the time you include the cooler! :S

From personal experience, the ST2000DM001 2TB Seagate drive choice may be a bit questionable - although it seems to be the case if you do a complete write across the whole drive (using the diskpart clean all command), maybe even twice, they run a lot better!... this needs to be the very absolute first thing you do, as everything including the partition info and data area is written with 0's. This does not hide bad sectors on the drive - I recommend after you do that you do a long read test in Seatools. The clean all command appears to do nothing whilst it process (something like 5 hours?) and the Seatools test probably takes 5 hours as well - thats to verify the drive is okay to go.

It won't really cause extra wear on the drive mechanics, since the clean all command and long read test is sequential. The clean all command just seems to prepare the magnetic surface?...

This could be, and sounds, complete bull I know, but talking experience (both mine and two friends), it seems to work! The only drives I had to send back, and the two friends with the same problem, were drives that this preparation process had NOT been done on! One was local so could see its the same thing, the other was online with a friend I hadn't seen for ages - but he's competent with computers. My point is, I had 5 drives (2 I didn't do this process on, the 2 I sent back). The local friend bought 3, 1 sent back because he couldn't have been bothered after processing 2 drives, and likewise the online friend just got an exchange for 1 because after doing 1 he thought it was pointless, and the problematic drives were all the drives where the process hadn't been done on! coincidence? maybe.

I should point out failure wasn't usually straight away, it took about 3 weeks of use or more, 1 week for the local friend, and maybe 2? for the online friend. For all three computers, these are on 24/7, with no power saving spin-down - so factoring that in, it might have taken a few months otherwise?... who knows. The errors for me shows up because one of the bad sectors corrupted data I was trying to access, and in all other cases they only showed up in the long read Seatools tests.

Sorry for the thread hijack, just wanted to put that info out there to save people data loss and inconvenience.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012
  20. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    ^^ this and i'd persoanally wait for GTX 670 release as from the previews i've seen it will be almost as quick as 680 with quite lower price.

Last edited: May 8, 2012