X58 Uber RAM Speed?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by BLEH!, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    1.66v is fine, I used to run my old 920 c0 at 1.66 (in the Red), I did this because many guides at the time recommended it and my CPU ran like that all the time.

That 920 CPU is still alive and well now and works just fine still at 3.8 fully stable on Air.

If you really want to create longevity of your hardware then Watercooling is the way forward as its known to create longevity especially the nb/sb and mosfets as power delivery comes from the mosfets so it will only enable an even higher oc.

Most people just cool the cpu and think its enough, Its not enough when your pushing to the max.

I couldnt get my cpu past 4.3 and stable by just cooling the cpu on water, Once i cooled the mosfets and chipset it was easy, Fully stable.

I reckon i could go higher on cpu but ram is the letdown and not worth me changing it tbh.

If your gonna be pushing your cpu to the max for 24/7 use then you need to consider water as theres only so much you can do on air, Also degradation occurs more when running on air as things get hot fast.

Overtime, Degradation occurs which has happened to a poster on here recently who had an unstable cpu after running for along time at high volts and high temps.

So even though you might find a nice sweetspot and the cpu is stable you may have degradation if volts are too high and things are too hot.

6 months to a year and bang OC become unstable.

I wouldnt go too high tbh you already have great oc on air, Only with better cooling would i go higher for 24/7 use:)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I think you're right with that 24/7 thing, though I do think it would be interesting to see how far I CAN push the RAM, etc if needs be, but for general use 4.4 ish is a good place to be. A few benchies won't hurt anything but prolonged running at high voltages ain't gunna do it any good.

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    OK So after a load more testing I can conclude the following:
    1) It needs too much voltage on Vdimm and QPI/VTT to run much faster than 2K, the fastest I can get it at 1.66V Vdimm and 1.375V QPI is 2048 MHz stable at 9-10-9-27-2T. At these kind of speeds I can't get the CPU stable at 4.4 Ghz like I can normally either. Uncore won't go any faster than 1.5 x RAM + 1 (x 21 or x 22)
    2) Running at 1866 MHz, The XMP timings are still the best that work as anything tighter is unstable, but I can run the uncore MUCH higher which gives a decent bit more bandwidth. 3600 MHz is unstable, but 3466 works, priming now for 3h and no errors, stable to IBT very high for an hour. Giving a bandwidth of just under 26 GB/s, which is about 20% better than what I was on before, seems/feels more responsive, getting better results in benchies, so this seems like a good compromise. Voltages aren't too high. 1.375 Vcore, 1.64 Vdimm, 1.35 V QPI/VTT, 1.9 V PLL. Temps under prime are topping low 70s (ambient 23).

I may try and squeeze a bit more out of the core (4.53 maybe), if temps allow, or see how low I can drop Vcore to save on power, though realistically better cooling is gunna be needed to get much further as Veteran has pointed out. There is definitely a black art to OCing X58 rigs, none of this K-series nonesense :p

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Low 70s on prime is ok you may get alittle bit more but thats taking it to the max.

Get it under water and watch it fly baby:)

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Will a H100i or Thermaltake CWL0217 (with 4 fans) be enough or should I be considering the full custom schebang with a 360 rad?

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I think a dual rad minimum for CPU and chipset for a good OC,However i do not know how these AIO kits perform as i only readup on Custom components so you may want to do a bit of research regarding AIO kits.

You dont need push and pull unless using a shroud and even then we are talking maybe couple of degrees.

I personally have my fans in pull.

With a dual i would just get some 12-1400 rpm fans, Again it depends on the thickness of the rad,Delta etc.

Check out this basic's guide.
    http://www.overclockers.com/guide-deltat-water-cooling/

Theres another great guide here i found long ago,probably the best you will ever find.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=335167

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Thanks Vet. I'll check this shizz out. Might have to wait until next payday, but it should be worth it. Reading around, those AIO kits (H100i at least) run about 10 *C cooler than my current cooler, which isn't bad. Would give a bit more headroom at least.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Do custom. All in ones are boring and ineffective compared to custom. 240mm rad at minimum

9. learners permit

learners permit Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt
    I'm running essentially the same setup as you with custom water cooling and my temps rarely get over 58C. Ambient temp is around 65F. so that helps as well. I'm not pushing as much voltage through this 5680 as you are but I can boot windows at 2133 mhz 9,11,11,31 ram and 4260 mhz core speed. I am unwilling to up the voltage to stabilize it at this speed since this proc has already claimed the life of two motherboards trying to do this. Melted the contact pins in the socket. I decided to limit cpu and vtt to 1.3 and 1.275 volts respectively for longeivity. Currently running 180X23 for 4140 core and 1800 ram at 9,9,9,28. Even at this speed this cpu crushes anything I throw at it and it's very stable with moderate heat output.

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The reason why i dont bother with AIO kits, I been trying to say this to people on here for such alongtime that i dont actually say it anymore.

Exactly like you said there is hardly any difference to a high-end aircooler.:)

Tbh i wouldnt mind getting an X58 Xeon myself tbh, I may look into it,wheres best play Ebay?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  12. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    You are quite right with the cooling thing. I bought my W3680 from Scan, when they had these in stock. The top dog is the W3690, but that fetches a fair price, but I think you can still grab my chip off ebay. Might be worth checking on mobo support, however, my mobo definitely supports it due to it being (meant for) a workstation board.

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ok ill take alook, Thanks.:)

14. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    To reopen an old thread, it seems my "old" motherboard and/or a dodgy set of RAM might've been to blame for the speed limits. I'm currently stressing @ 2042 MHz RAM @ 1.64 V Vdimm, 1.35 V QPI/VTT Vcore with stability, WITH 6 DIMMs and 24 GB of RAM in. Something has opened up and I'm getting much better results than I was previously. Gunna keep pushing, see how far I can get.