Is intel burn test even worth running?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by LinkDrive, Apr 27, 2012.

1. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    For some reason, I really don't trust it.

I've managed to get my 2500k to 4.8GHz at 1.45v. No errors have kicked back from Prime95 during a one hour stress test, no errors with an hour long stress test with memtest running both CPU and RAM at 100% capacity, and my system has yet to crash while gaming. At this setting, my CPU never exceeds 73c. However, running IBT at maximum stress causes my system to lock up within a minute or two. Also, as soon as I run IBT, my temps supposedly shoot up to 85c in an instant with no progression from the idle temps ( which is usually around 44c ), and instantly drops back down to ~50c when I stop the test.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    IBT on x58 is so easy to pass with a really low amount of volts,i dont even regard it as a proper stability test tbh,seems to be different on other cpus like yours.

3. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Indeed. I find it odd that it'll cause a massive instantaneous spike in CPU temp, when Prime95 and Memtest @ 100% CPU usage doesn't.

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Stability tests are not the same,they each test you hardware in a different way to each other thats why you have success in one and failure in another,this is why i like to be stable in all tests.

I cant remember the last time i had a bsod at my oc..rock solid!

5. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I understand that different stability tests will utilize hardware in different ways, but 100% CPU load is 100% CPU load. If the temps in two programs are making the CPU run at 70c @ 100% load, when one other is doing 85c @ 100% load, then something isn't right, be it with the former or the latter programs.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    veteran already answered your question and so did you. the only thing not right is your understanding of the bolded sections of your post:)

7. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    Personally I dont use prime95 any more but 1 hour with that program is not enough.
    IBT has found instability, simple as that i'm afraid.

8. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Humor me. How is it that IBT causes the CPU temps to instantly hit 85c at 100% load, when two other stability tests have the same CPU utiilization and the temps slowly increase to a max of 73c?

Think before you open your mouth. If you want to patronize me, then you would do better to demonstrate a much deeper level of understanding rather than jumping straight to insults.

9. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Correct, it is simple. However, that is not the question. Since my first post, I have run Prime95 as well as Memtest overnight, one night per program, and neither generated errors.

If IBT is causing the system to crash, then that is all well and fine. However, if only IBT is causing the system to crash, yet running 20 hours worth of stress tests across two other programs does not, then is IBT worth the time to consider?

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    because different tests utilize the cpu in different ways? if you cant even pass ibt on sb you have a very unstable system bud. that test is the easiest out of all the tests for sb. p95 blend max memory 8 hours being the hardest. I was not insulting you, I was quoting what you said in bold. you have your answer from veteran, you and I.

11. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    This very post tells me that you are not listening to what's being said or asked, bud.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    IBT and linx does not instantly max out my temps it is more gradual on my rig at least, probably look into better cooling. p95 takes longer to max out temps as it is a different stress tester and stresses out more than JUST the cpu.

13. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Again, you're not listening. I already said that I ran Prime95 overnight and my max temp was 73c with no errors.

Reread my posts and try again.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    no thanks. good luck bud.

15. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC
    Aren't those volts a little high for 4.8ghz? Maybe its something with ram timings or ram controller voltage.

btw, that is the correct temperature or how it acts, try LinX its tougher. Here it passed IBT 1Gb (10 tests), but failed in Linx 1Gb (3rd test) also hotter 3-4C.

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Heat is caused by processor speed and power usage, the more power (current/amps) running through your chip the higher the heat level will be. Linpack simply uses a different algorithm and more power than prime95 hence the higher temps.What this means is that a cpu is made up of many internal hardware components such as the alu/fpu units, processor cache, etc. Linpack is very stressful on the fpu units.

CPU utilisation is a software calculation done by the OS and based on a 'system idle process' and looks at the percentage of time it is idle between operations.

for eg.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa364157(VS.85).aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
  17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Linx needs more v-core voltage than Occt to be fully stable.
    Occt needs more Qpi/Dram/Vtt voltage Than Linx to be fully stable
    Prime is in the middle for me.
    Ibt is a joke compared to the others to pass for me tbh

Linx Occt and Prime not only stress the cpu,they also stress the ram and they all produce alot of heat in different ways regarding each pass,thats why a minimum of 20 passes is recommended(Linx and IBT) because if you can pass 20 you can pass 100 but if you pass only 5 passes you can fail on the 8th,12th,14th,15th etc,once you hit 20 passes your pretty rock solid and 100 is easy.

Occt(linpack) 1hr minimum....dont under estimate Occt,its a tough one to get right on a high oc threshold.

Prime 4hrs minimum,if you can go 4 theres a good chance you will go 24 although some people will disagree with this.

Im talking from the many many hrs i spent stress testing my cpu,trying to find the sweetspot for 4.4 which was not easy not to mention the 920 c0 that i got to 3.8 before this 930 which was even harder tbh....but i got there in the end:)

18. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Thanks for the detailed replies.

I'm checking out LinX right now. So far I'm on run 5 out of 20, no BSOD or crashes like with IBT, and the temps are staying in the mid to high 70's. So yeah, it's running a little hotter than Prime95 and Memtest, but nothing the CPU isn't designed to handle.

[​IMG]

19. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

20. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    Impossible, your first post was only yesterday.

PS. Try running IBT at stock CPU and RAM clocks, if its ok then you know its not IBT at fault, 4.8ghz is a hefty overclock.
    Also are you running latest IBT with latest lapack library ?