Kit-Kat Locked Bootloader :(

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Comrade_Jerkov, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Comrade_Jerkov

Comrade_Jerkov Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1
    Today, I came to the unfortunate realization that the Kit-Kat update locked the Bootloader of my S4 (Applies to the S5 as well) in the Verizon and AT&T flavors.

That's a shame because I was planning on flashing a 4.4.3 Google Play Edition rom onto my phone.

I'm hearing this is effecting other phones as well with the two carriers and that there is an unclaimed bounty for anyone that can unlock it.

Anyone run into this mess?

This is somewhat saddening as it seems Google is starting to close up on us. Roms are one of the best things about Android phones!!

2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    It's not google doing it, for a start it's a Samsung phone, but secondly it's your network, Samsung have never locked the bootloader on an international phone, this isn't new though, USA networks have locked the bootloader on every galaxy phone afaik.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    It's not Samsung that's at fault, it's the Carrier. Sprint is the only one in the US that has an unlocked bootloader with their S4 and S5 phones. There are a couple of bounty threads on XDA in regards to unlocking bootloaders for the Verizon and AT&T network. But so far it's been unsuccessful.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  4. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Does this hold for contract-free phones as well?
    You know, the type which will use any SIM card you insert in it right from the start?

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Unlocking the bootloader and unlocking the phone to work on another network it completely different.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  6. Comrade_Jerkov

Comrade_Jerkov Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1

Yeah, I've had the S (Fascinate), S3, and S4 and they all had locked bootloaders. I had a One M7 and I unlocked that through HTC. Stateside carriers are just upping the ante on locking the bootloaders.

Plus, you have the Samsung Knox App which "supposedly" records data on whether or not users have flashed new roms onto their phones. If the Knox Counter's gets tripped your warranty is voided.

I'm leaning towards ditching Verizon and going T-Mobile. The stateside coverage isn't as good but they're more Android friendly and carry a better variety.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Can't downgrade using ODIN then flash custom recovery / root / ROM ?

8. Comrade_Jerkov

Comrade_Jerkov Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1
    Yeah, I've been looking into that now especially since I've had issues since getting Kit Kat. Even doing a factory reset didn't help.

9. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    The international phones have the knox bootloader with an efuse that blows if you flash a custom rom/recovery, even though they don't have locked bootloaders. What's the point of having an unlocked bootloader if they use an efuse to try kill your warranty anyway.
    My S3 international has a custom binary count though so technically my warranties void according to Samsung, but according to the EU it isn't and I can take them to court for like £25 if I need to anyway.

I don't see why carriers insist on locked bootloaders though, it doesn't affect them in any way, shape, or form as it's totally different to a sim lock. Sony globally have bootloaders that cannot be unlocked on any sim locked phone which is pretty ****ty of them as there is no reason for it.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    That efuse is on the US S4 and S5 too.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

11. Comrade_Jerkov

Comrade_Jerkov Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1
    I had no issues downgrading to 4.3 MK2, albeit, without sound no matter how many times I flashed the modem zip file. I rooted the phone as well, but it was kind've redundant considering that you need an unlocked bootloader to rom nearly all roms. I tried Cyanogen but then realized that it needed to be unlocked.

So long story short, I unrooted and re-updated to kit kat OTA. Back where I started lol. At least there's Nova Launcher so I don't have to use touch wiz.

12. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)