Core i7-4790 Performance Review Leaks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 7, 2014.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Just curious, but why upgrade now? I understand you're likely tight on money but you're deciding to make an upgrade when intel is the most outrageous about their pricing.

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well I am not going to upgrade right now I do not have the money for it. But I am planning on upgrading in the next couple of months though due to the fact that my computer is 4 years old and plus I would like to get a different smaller case than the one I currently own.

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    And Im sitting here just happy with my 950. Which does 4.4 at 1.48v. I run it though at 4.1 @ 1.3v. 1st gen i7 still have alot of life left in them.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    That they do; I felt the performance of them was very disappointing considering what they were, but they're still more than good enough for most purposes today.

I'm in the same boat though - I'm sure with my FX-6300 I could get to at least 4.7Ghz stable with my current heatsink, but I don't need the extra performance and I'd rather keep power saving features on (except C1E). 4.4Ghz is still plenty of speed though - the only reason I care to upgrade is power efficiency. My computer spews a LOT of heat. When I retire this computer, I'm honestly considering overclocking it a little bit more, slap in a 3rd GPU, run stuff like folding@home, and use it as a "productive room heater" during the winter. If I'm going to pay for electric heat, I might as well do something useful with it.

5. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

My pc didnt output much heat at all even at 4.4 with HT on. It did once I dropped my second 7850 in and had to take my H60 off my single 7850. Even with ac on, you can feel the difference of 2 gpus. But my god the performance is frickin awesome with 2 gpus.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think it largely depends on your heat dissipation. I designed my PC so there's a straight "tube" of airflow dedicated to just the CPU. The CPU heatsink is one that has a sideways-mounted fan, so air basically just passes straight through it. I can barely reach 55C, which is (IMO) impressive considering it's just air cooled and operating at 1.5v (maybe it was 1.45, I forget). So, basically all the heat generated is put into the room instead. My GPUs are set up similarly, but it's a lot more difficult to make a straight path of airflow for them. Anyway the point of me saying all of this is depending on how your airflow is set up, a lot of the heat could be trapped inside your system, so it doesn't heat up the room very much. Under full load, my current computer heats up a 12x12ft room about 1 degree F per hour.

7. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    Go second hand Sandy and cash in on the savings. z97/refresh performance won't be scaled enough to justify it's price unless they OC like absolute beasts which btw we haven't really seen much of lately...

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    So it's a 2600K v4.0? :p

I'm sooo tired of these refreshes, hopefully Haswell-E will bring a chunck of power with DDR4 and all but I doubt it. On the other hand it's good, if games continue to be so little demanding on CPU/RAM/MOBO, good for the wallet that is. I can see myself keeping my current config (-GPUs) for at least another 1-2 years, unless they die on me somehow.

I honestly miss the years when a new generation of CPU/socket ment a significant jump, it was worth to upgrade, now... not so much.

9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Skipping. Waiting on x99, 5960x, ddr4 and the best single GPU card I can get when its all available. Have 2k+ burning a hole in my pocket!

10. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I have 7 120mm fans in my pc. 1 intake in the front, 1 rear exhaust, 2 on the side door exhaust, and 2 on my h100 for intake and one on the bottom of the case for exhaust as well. My gpus do not have blower fans. So heat is dumped inside case. I love gpus with blower fans that push the heat out of the case. Dont see them on gpus as much anymore.

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Id rather not do that because it might be more trouble than it is worth and besides any form of an upgrade for me would be a huge boost.

If push comes to shove I might just get a Z97 board with the 4770K CPU so if broadwell is any thing amazing I can upgrade to that.

12. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    No reason to sell my 3930k that does 4.7Ghz/2133 @ 1.328v. Intels CPU perf. increase is like cashing two rolls of pennies for 2 quarters.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Skylake for me because I want new architecture :D

14. Sipster

Sipster Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Asus Strix
    Sounds like a solid plan. I will upgrade my Ram in the mean time.....6 GB's is not cutting it anymore!

15. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    Makes sense but then again price to performance ratio compared to Sandy doesn't. Skylake is where the next big jump is at least then we get DDR4 to play with if everything else fails.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah that is true but at that point DDR4 memory might be still very pricey compared to DDR3. If I remember correctly that it took a while for DDR3 to come down to reasonable prices compared to DDR2 memory.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  17. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Bring on Skylake!

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wonder how the scores agains i7 920@ stock. I would love it for once people that do these reviews would put them up against 1st,2nd,3rd (gen) etc instead of putting them up again last gen or the one before only.

Not everyone upgrades every year, there is no point half the time

19. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Everything seems staggering now. I really hope AMD will step up in both it's departments (CPU and GPU).

CPU wise AMD can't cope with Intel... period (maybe just maybe at a few specific applications but not overal).

GPU wise they keep up with Nvidia, but that's it, they're dealing small blows on both sides. AMD/ATI needs to deliver quite a decent blow performance wise because right now we have mediocre upgrades on both sides or some overpriced POS called TITAN.

Performance is just creeping up slowly instead of making jumps every year/year and a half.

20. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    ^this. I still remember buying a gtx 460 1GB just about when they came out. They were wiped off reviews within about 4-6 months.