confirmed how to run ati+nvidia in win7 -includes benchmarks and how to setup

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by damien666, May 17, 2009.

1. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    ok guys i have spent the last 3weeks trying to make ati and nvidia run and after testing just about every driver set from ati and nvidia fro the past 6months and i have finally came up with the best set up for adaptivity and stableness, and would like to share for all users

ALL TEST RUN THREE TIMES USING FRAPS AND THE SAME GAME RUN EACH TIME THEN THE AVG SCORE / FRAME RATE FROM EACH SETUP USED FOR FINIAL SCORES POSTED BELOW, I DID MY BEST TO USE THE SAME AMOUNT OF PHYSX IN EACH RUN SO THESE ARE AS CLOSE TO ACCURATE AS RESULTS ARE GOING TO GET

1st - info / problems found

1) fluid mark doesn't like to be run in ati's AI advanced and crashes but it some times runs under AI standard, but to be on safe side it is 100% stable in AI OFF mode, but this does mean no CF in this app while AI is off on X2 cards like 4870x2....
    2) although their are no vantage scores as of yet, vantage also has a similar issue as fluidmark where you will get mega texture issues in AI standard or advanced modes but it will run under AI OFF, and as stated above this means no CF on x2 cards

2nd - how to install/set-up guide

1) wipe all current drivers from pc and then use Driver Sweeper 2.0.0 in safe mode. to clean all ati/nvidia/physx traces from the pc.
    2) install both ati and nvidia card into the pc and make sure that if ur mobo has different speed pci-e slots to place the ati in the fastest, usually this is the top slot or nearest to the cpu slot AND CONNECT TWO MONITORS, ONE TO EACH CARD + disconect your modem so that updates dont install the latest 185.85 drivers as they dont work
    3) install ati drivers 9-4_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu and restart the pc.
    4) install nvidia drivers 181.71_geforce_win7_64bit_international_beta and restart the pc.
    5) install physx drivers PhysX_9.09.0408_SystemSoftware and restart the pc.
    6) right click desktop and then select the screen resolution tab, once in here select ati as primany screen and extrend it so that both screens are lite up blue ,restart pc.
    7) open nvidia ctrl panel and select the physx tab and turn on.

now ur all done and it should be working test with fluidmark and look to see if its running in software or hardware mode

3rd - results for tests

as u can see 8800gt has no effect when working with 4870x2 in physx but it does seem to lift the high fps some? emm?

as u can see no more benchmarks are needed here as it a clear show that 8800gt does all HW physx work and my quadcore cpu cant handle the physx on SW mode

as u can see the 8800gt works and uses it HW physx to handle the physx and when off i still get physx but even my quadcore cpu cant handle the physx in SW mode

MORE RESULTS COMING SOON FROM OTHER APPS LIKE VANTAGE AND CRYOSTASIS TECH DEMO AND GAME

HELPFUL SETUP PICS

step 6)
    [​IMG]
    step 7)
    [​IMG]

ALL WINDOWS 7 x64 - APPS/DRIVERS NEEDED ARE BELOW

win7 x64 181.71 beta
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win7_x64_181.71_beta_uk.html
    physx_9.09.0408
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0408_whql.html
    ATI 9.4 (63.6mb pack only)
    http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit

Driver-Sweeper-beta-2.0.0- need beta for win7 support
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/Driver-Sweeper-beta-2.0.0-download-2186.html
    fluidmark
    http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/physx-fluidmark/

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    *reserved*

for more tests and questions/answers

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Good work! Looking forward to more tests.

PhysX seems to be doing quite good work, like it should. Now if more games would support this.

Sticky perhaps ?

4. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    thanks tat3, i will have more tests up in a few hours. enjoy

5. Torch'em

Torch'em Member

GPU:
    3 x 480GTX
    Nice damien666

6. Zazza

Zazza Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2 + 8800GTS
    ATI v9.5 and nVidia 181.72 works. Although CCC will crash on opening.
    Any nVidia driver above 181.72 won't make PhysX work.

About Mirror's Edge: as many times stated (in my initial tests for example), PhysX behavior in the game is somewhat buggy. People with nVidia-only setups are complaining about slowdowns during PhysX processing.
    The same seems happening with Sacred 2 (although I didn't test).

Anyway, unless we could use PhysX hooking just ONE monitor to the ATI card, it's pretty bothersome.

P.S.: it's nice to see people you heartily helped, completely forgot about you. But, hey, that's life.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    this looks wrong?
    2 and 4 above have phyx on but 4 does better than 2 on average and its without the 4870x2( i.e. gfx + physx on 8800gt>gfx on 4870x2 + physx on 8800gt )?

i know AA was off but still

8. Zazza

Zazza Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2 + 8800GTS
    lmimmfn... please read the above post: Mirror's Edge has proven to be buggy on PhysX side especially with ATI cards. Normally you have to disable PhysX support in-game to avoid slowdowns.

In n°2, PhysX is NOT working and it's done by CPU.
    In n°4, PhysX is working just because he's using ONLY the nVidia card as renderer. The ATI card is, in fact, disabled.

9. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    no, i read what you said about it being buggy, thats my point on the results

10. Zazza

Zazza Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2 + 8800GTS
    About Mirror's edge, since it's spoken almost everywhere I thought it was considered as a known fact. Sorry, my mistake.
    There's another thread where's this problem is mentioned:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=285063&page=2
    See post n°44.

No surprise for those results.

11. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    nope, i didnt know,cheers for the link

12. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    hi guys please request any info or apps/games to try out and i will post, i have a few more to post but im waiting till i have a few more which in on the go but i have work today so may not be till late

i hope this helps meny more get their settups running,

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  13. ModoeXtreme

ModoeXtreme New Member

GPU:
    4870 1GB + 8800GTS 512Mb
    Hey I seem to be having difficulty with this . I tried all you said but whenever I wipe and restart windows just automatically install a driver and when I try and install mine on top I can't start the Nvidia control panel to enable Physx, it just crashes. How do I stop windows from automatically installing drivers?

Thanks so much for this guide!

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Great job on the guide Damien666, guess ill have to try it once more on thursdays bankholiday lol

15. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load

try turning off widows update and when that little tab pops up at bottem of screen saying intallled new device..... click the bottom left side and select update drivers my self and not windows updates, then remove the drivers adn driverr sweep them

glad to help will hel;p any way i can

p.s. on way to work after work will post picture that explains what to do with the auto driver install

thanks

16. ModoeXtreme

ModoeXtreme New Member

GPU:
    4870 1GB + 8800GTS 512Mb
    Ok after some tiring work I managed to get the drivers installed and now something new is happening lol, I can't run the Nvidia control panel! It just crashes and I've reinstalled a million times but still nothing keeps crashing. The error says "NVIDIA Control Panel Application, 1.5.1560.00 has stopped working" and asks to close the program :(

Any ideas?

17. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load

this only happens if u try to change the application settings like AA it should allow you to set phys xon without ant problems, and stuff also if u have wrong drivers like 185,85 whic is the drivers that windows auto installs

remove the ethernet and add/remove the drivers and then boot safe mode and then use the cleaner app i posted and tick all three (ati/nvidia/physx) clean these and then boot normally, go into device manager and post a pic of what u have in the gfx pannel. if no drivers installed u should be at a res like 600x800

also u need both screens connected up for it to work

p.s. if u have msn i will live chat you though this setup

18. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    If you got cryostasis sleep of reason, or unreal tournament 3 ?

19. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    hi mate their are unreal tournament 3 (ut3) results in 1st post and i will post cryostasis sleep of reason later tonight if i have time, but i can say cryostasis sleep of reason runs the best of the lot

CRYOSTASIS TECH DEMO added post 2

20. Zazza

Zazza Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2 + 8800GTS
    Temporary deactivate the monitor connected to the ATI card in the "Screen Resolution" panel. Now, having only the nVidia monitor enabled, the control panel will work. Make your changes (ie: activate PhysX), close the panel and then reactivate the monitor previously disabled.