Valve Steam Big Picture service

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Valve today announced the public release of Big Picture, Steam's new mode that lets gamers access all of their favorite Steam games on a television from the comfort of their sofa. Big Picture has bee...

Valve Steam Big Picture service

2. Silent_Takedown

Silent_Takedown Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Good stuff.

I for one really like Steam Big Picture and use it a lot, not actually on my tv at the moment, I don't have a cable long enough and can't be arsed to move my stuff about but it's great even on my monitor. Nice to control everything with the controller and even the new way of typing is great. It takes a bit of getting used to but it's pretty good and done well.

3. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    It's horrible, they were doing deals on controller friendly games yesterday, made me mess up a game install too.
    They can take my freedom, but they'll never take my keyboard /mouse!

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Why is it horrible ? its ment to be used on a TV. works pretty great imo.
    How did big picture mode make your game install mess up ?
    Why you think they will take out keyboard and mouse controls ? nothing wrong with having more choices. especially when they are looking at other platforms aswell.

5. Silent_Takedown

Silent_Takedown Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Hey come on, it's not that bad :p. I believe Valve have done some good with this Big Picture mode. I'm hoping it will cater/appeal to those who are more console based but it would mean parting with more cash to setup a rig or perhaps it would get them on the pc a little more if they already have a rig. Even if it doesn't appeal to anyone, I personally like it.

I agree with you on the keyboard/mouse though, I'm definitely a kb/mouse gamer but the controller side of things is great for those who want to just kick back and relax on the sofa on their big screen. I remember that being a big argument for console vs. pc so I think Valve have done good things with this.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  6. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I tried it, I clicked on "Resume update" for Metro 2033 and it crashed. Not using it again. End.

7. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    gotta be careful now if you want to expand or minimize the steam window incase it goes into console mode after hitting that silly big picture button (really nice place to put it btw.)
    i was re-installing hitman after i zeroed my drive yesterday and seen the button, hit it, thought what the hell is this (while it hung and i had to close steam down).

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It happened to me too post update. Steam needs a UI update the way iTunes recently received. That BPM button is an eye sore and awkwardly placed.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Looks good, reminds me a lot to WMC.

The only thing that's kinda bad is you can't select repair functions (verify game integrity cache) or am I missing something?

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Horrible, i think its great, i have it to automatically start up in big picture mode now, even works fine with mouse/kb. :)

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Not a big fan of it. I like my list view

12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Make sure you try out the in-game view of it too, looks alot better than the normal shift-tab.

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Only thing i like about it is configuring a joypad.

14. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    :banana:Bow to you...guru...:
    yes....our big picture...is about Valve's next big GAME picture....not about HOME COMFORT SYSTEM......

BTW.... a television (is an output device[old school...folks...])..... can be anything.....