nvsmartmax64.dll?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by zimmay, Mar 27, 2012.

1. zimmay

zimmay Member

GPU:
    GTX680 SLI + GTX680
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with the 3.01.10 English with modified nv_disp.inf.
    2 GTX680's in SLI for 3 24" monitors in surround.
    1 Nvidia 210 for 2 other monitors

Everything works great except for this nvsmartmax64.dll DLL. It looks to be the control module that allows Nvidia to control window maximizing and superbar placement. When this app is running, everytime I close a window on the desktop I get 2 error boxes about the Windows Shell DLL. I have closed this process and everything is now fine, except without maximization control and superbar limitations.

I have done an inplace install, and then ran again and did the "clean install" option. Both exhibit the same issues. The only thing I haven't done is uninstalled everything, deleted all related nvidia directories and started from scratch.

Is that my next move, or has someone had this issue and found a fix?

Thanks!

2. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    I bet that modded .inf could be the reason.

Try installing the 301.10 driver with the default .inf to see if at least the error goes away.

You have 5 monitors, i think you can live with out 2 of em until official 300 series drivers come out for all cards. :eyes:

3. zimmay

zimmay Member

GPU:
    GTX680 SLI + GTX680
    Actually i can't, I have 3 for the surround gaming for rFactor, and the other 2 monitors host TeamSpeak client and Motec data. I run league races 2 nights a week and those are absolutely crucial to my setup and testing.

I guess on that note, is there a way to have both the older 296.10 driver AND the 301.10 driver installed so I could use the default driver?

4. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Not unless you have an AMD card, you can't install 2 of the same brand of drivers. :dead:

For now. if its crucial, all you can do as well, is use ONE GTX 680 for that triple monitor setup and then use the other GTX 680 to have the 4th run teamspeak and the 5th to run motec.

Are you running rFactor 1 or 2? I checked system requirements for both and you should be able to game on one GTX 680 fine.

Im hoping for official 300 series drivers too man, i want to be able to use adaptive Vsync on my GTX 480 if possible.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

5. zimmay

zimmay Member

GPU:
    GTX680 SLI + GTX680
    grrr...

Found out what it was. Not nvidia issue at all.

I use Actual Window Manager to disable minimize on games so I can click on other monitors while in a game. When I disable that, everything works perfectly.

Thanks for the suggestions and help!

http://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/

Waiting on a fix.