AMD Mantle could get you 20% more performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Tugrul_512bit

Tugrul_512bit Guest

GPU:
    msi_r7870hawk_asus_r7_240
    Which card(without mantle) is equivalent to a%20 mantle-boosted Stock HD7870pitcairn?

Stock GTX670?

Stock HD7950?

What about overclocking the 7870pitcairn to 1275/1375 ? (1330/1525 for benchmarks)

Stock GTX680? (GTX770 for benchmarks?)

Stock HD7970? (R9-280x-revized for benchmarks?)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  2. peshkohacka

peshkohacka Member Guru

GPU:
    ***8962;

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  3. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Why we are all stack on fps? What about frame times Stuttering and smoothness. They clearly mention this in the presentation with the Deus Ex shader loading, stuttering example. They also said its not ment for every game.

One more thing, Johan said that the code is very close of what the ps4 code looks like. In ps4 we have 60 fps with 7870 like card and a 8 core cpu at 1.6. Make the math about our more modern systems. With my 7850 and 4 core 3.9 cpu a lot of the times i drop to 35.

The other key think they mention, you will not have to wait for a Driver update to make the game work. This is a pain in the ass for me with every new game. The developer has all the control for making the game work without the need of a new Driver.

Johan said on tweeter

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Is there truth to this ?

5. ClexRex

ClexRex Guest

GPU:
    780 Classified / R9 290
    I would say 20% was prly a higher number than should have been stated....however I do hope it works well....however realistically id say itll be more around 5-10% depending on game title.

6. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I think your underestimating G-sync. If it turns out to be as great as its supposed to be, then I certainly won't be bothering with ATI until (or if) they have it.

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Really? I bet we will see 10% at most when it launches.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It's free performance boost, what else do you want?

Maybe we will see larger boosts later on, newer games, more optimization.

9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    I am not convinced yet re Mantle. Why wasnt it released earlier to co-incide with the release of the 290/x?

Surely if it gives u a 20% lead in Bf4 that's a key selling point?

Def interesting to see what happens. I didnt pick up a 290 in the end but if some games do get a 20% increase I might reconsider..

10. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Because it wasn't ready. The normal version of BF4 wasn't ready for launch.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have to say that a 20% improvement in games performance sounds more attractive that shuttery framerates with exclusive (poorly optimized) PhysX effects on NVIDIA hardware so my next graphics card could more than likely be an AMD one so long as they improve on their mediocre (and noisy) coolers and high GPU temperatures. I'm getting an Xbox One and PS4 and both of those have AMD GPUs as well.

12. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    sorry either you are confused or I am here.

the game is released and the gpu's without mantle. so mantle wasnt ready. my point being why not release both at the same time? i.e wait to release the cards with something that gives u a 20% increase?

doesnt make sense to me. if i want my product to sell more than my competitor i'd want to launch it with all the advantages i can.....(this makes me think it's more like hot air atm)

xbox one and ps4...wow darren!

13. Godimus

Godimus Guest

GPU:
    everchanging
    It's great to See AMD/ATi Clawing its way back... I've Been a Long time "majority" Nvidia user but I'm Beginning to believe more and more everyday that AMD Will be my card of the future..

14. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    The presentation is very interesting and anyone that criticize Mantle should take a minute and watch it. It was all technical stuff but you get the picture of what they are trying to achieve.

It is mention by a driver developer in the presentation. They said we put game developers in our driver developer seats (they show there desks in the projector :p). Also it is also mention by a Deus Ex and Thief developer that this man in the middle driver thing its a thing of the past with Mantle.

Its like consoles they don't need driver updates.

Also another key point. With 2 x 290X you have 5TFlops of power going waist. With mantle all this power is in you hands like one unit. Mantle doesn't care about bridges and connectors. You can play with all this power as you like.

About G-Synch its great but you need a powerful system and an expensive monitor. They didn't clearly mention the minimum fps for it to work but someone mention 30. Mantle its free. My dream system would be G-Synch Mantle together.

15. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    20% is a little lower than I was expecting as well, especially when it was worded to make that sound like a maximum amount.

Saying that, for those with compatible cards it will be a very noticeable improvement when it arrives.

It's good to hear they are targeting other GPU vendors, does make me wonder if they would also gain 20%.
    If not and gcn still has an advantage then it might only offer a small advantage over the DX version.

Does make you wonder if DirectX could be improved to bring that 40% overhead down.

17. ATR

ATR Member Guru

GPU:
    amd 7850 CF
    Battlefield was the only game at the time that was supporting it - and considering amd was already leading the benchmarks without mantle (even over the 780TI) - there was no real urgency to release mantle. Anyway the more time mantle is worked on, the better it will be and they can implement more calls for the developers to use.

18. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Not at all. What i meant was that the game is so buggy even in it's patched state why will they release mantle support? Also, delaying the launch till mantle is ready will mean less sales during the festive season.

19. PlsHelpMe

PlsHelpMe Guest

GPU:
    HD 8750m 2 GB
    They said they will improve Dual Graphics (APU+DGPU) with Mantle but 90% of the AMD APU's aren't GCN, they are VLIW4. So how does it work?

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Interesting, it has it all from bindless resources, perfect multi core support, minimal or no cpu overhead, no memory bottlenecks..

I hope more devs will start supporting it, ie U4E or Luminous.

Also PS4 uses mantle?