AMD 20nm - R300 'Pirate Islands' Roadmap Leaked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I dont see them use only Glofo for gpu's ... I believe Glofo is more enclined to produce SOC, Nand in 14-16nm FinFet instead, just for grab as many money and marketshare possible..

Now we know that TSMC seems have some delay for mass production of 20nm ( high performance, we are not speaking about SOC ) ..

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I saw on YT video from HW dev. conference where guy from TSMC showed their new roadmap and talked about High performance 20nm was not good enough (very small difference to low power draw tech) and basically there is no special high performance 20nm on TSMC (one tech. which scales power draw based on clocks), should be back with 14/16nm FinFET.

So 20nm TSMC will not bring maximum and therefore performance bump will be pretty nice with 14/16nm.

As for GloFo I am not sure here, but they should be capable to make similarly clocked GPUs as those present in APUs are decent overclockers even on 28nm. Proper question would be:
    "What kind of power consumption we can expect from GloFo chips?" (because I have not seen any kind of measurement based on GPU in APU)

3. grayson360

grayson360 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 GamingEdition
    I use NVidia cards but gotta tell yea, AMD, stepping it up with performance while also keeping the compute side and bitcoin mining. Both companies have some serious awesomeness all around :D. Debating though..... grab a second GTX 780 Gaming edition, save a bit more and see how the 880 does, or see how the 390x does...... hmmm......

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Second 780 and wait for Pascal or the successor to Pirate Islands.

5. grayson360

grayson360 Guest

GPU:
    Yea that's what I was thinking. I just tend to not go SLI but to buy the newest GFX card of the year. 580 when it came out, 680 when it came out and now 780. I'll have to think about it though. Thanks for the reply.

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Tbh if the 880 is real in the other thread it stands no chance against 390x o_O really noway it can stand a chance. Everyone of these is just speculation and we will see both camps delivering real stuff late 2014 or early 2015

I shall get second 290x once new stuff hits the stores :D

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  7. grayson360

grayson360 Guest

GPU:
    Yea seriously that 390x looks sharp. What 290x you got?

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Can Be Announced This Summer ?

http://extremespec.net/amd-pirate-islands-announced-summer/

9. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    The 390X looks like a monstrous gpu and I can't wait to see its performance.. :thumbup:

10. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Nice find Rich_Guy :)

...my shiny new MSI 290X Gaming is starting to feel very short lived... and I've not even gotten round to trying to OC it yet lol

Some of those 4K monitors are starting to sound like realistic prospects suddenly ^^

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Cracking cards those MSi Gamings ;) :D

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I got 290x Gaming

13. Rage

Rage Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 2GB
    LOL

I'm sorry, but really? I seriously hope AMD doesn't have to count on the perpetually late to the party GlobalFoundries for 20nm chips. If they're relying on GF to keep their "we'll launch our 20nm SoC's in 2H 2014" promise, then they (AMD) are in a bad place.

:bang:

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I hope so. Had enough of this pricing bollox like the TITAN cards. Some healthy competition is sure to bring that down.

15. i5750

i5750 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Sounds about right that a new series will come out soon, Just when I bought a new R9 270 making it already obsolete, Just like when I bought my 650 Ti 2-3 months later the 700 series came out.

KJGJKHGKJGKJHGYTRFWITR*&^FGJKLGDSHJKL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
  17. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    on paper, however minimum frames in games, different story.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD has maintained a contract with GloFo for GPU's for those "just in case" times. AMD is in no more of a hurry to shuffle their GPUs to GloFo than anyone else is. AMD would have to redesign their chips to shift from TSMC to GloFo anyway so there would be more delays. Basically, the contract with GloFo for dedicated GPUs is an "absolute, last resort" type of deal. It's pretty well going to be a case of TSMC just flat out being incapable of producing AMD's GPUs before GloFo would become a viable option. Of course, at that point, I'd be looking to negotiate with Samsung if I were AMD's CEO.....lol

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Any news on how much VRAM the R9 390X will come with?

Hoping for 6GB VRAM but if its 4GB then nothing really to worry about!

Those spec's are FECKING insane!!

Hoping for a nice price, and I hope to GOD that they release with a decent cooler or allow board vendors to release their coolers at launch! We don't want another R9 290/X 95*C fiasco!