So I've decided to go Haswell, input please!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by BarryB, Jul 20, 2013.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    To high! I need that for 4.6Ghz.. Is it at auto or manual voltage?

I bet you could use only ~1.050v.

2. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Delidding intrigues me, but I have reservations about actually doing it!! I have a big vice, a wooden mallet and a block of wood which destiny seems to have marked for delidding Haswell :D

Once the chip has been delidded though, do people clean the glue from the IHS and substrate before plopping it back onto the chip? Which TIM is recommended as I've read that 'normal' TIM like AS5 etc suffer form 'push out' or 'pump out' where subsequent heating/cooling of the TIM will force the TIM out from the die if spread too thick resulting in far worse temps than when lidded.

The trend in TIM for a delidded Haswell seems to be 'Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra' which is a metal based TIM so use with caution as contact with the VRMs could short them out and kill the chip :eek3: That is, if you didn't kill it already by smacking it with a lump of wood and a big fcuk off Mallet :D

Then there's the other argument, do you actually need the IHS at all? Can you just clamp onto the naked die and risk cracking it with your heatsink/waterblock, and, if they actually contact the die at all and overheat it??

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  3. Dusty_M

Dusty_M Active Member

GPU:
    HIS 7950 IceQ X²
    I would wait with delidding until the chip is a bit older. Killing your warranty on a fresh chip just seems like asking for wasted money, especially if you never have delidded a CPU before.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

5. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Right, thanks guys, I'll put the mallet down now and wait :) Might as well see what the Kraken does to stock temps vs overclock temps then decide if it's 'Hammer Time' :D

I've watched a number of delidding vids, including the one you linked to -Tj-, but none specifically said to remove the glue. Some forums have mentioned removing it just like you do with TIM so it eliminates the gap caused by the glue, which seems to be the main reason why IB/Haswell run hot as the gap between IHS and die is increased slightly so the TIM can't efficiently transfer the heat. So it's not just the TIM that's issue but the 'glue gap' too making IB/Haswell getting a bit hot under the collar.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's scary to watch even tho it had already happend :S

7. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Watch the link -Tj- posted @ 2:53 where the guy suggests if you're a 'scrawny' type with no muscle you might need to get someone who goes to the gym to delid your chip cos you won't be powerful enough :eek3: WTF LOL!!!

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  9. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Yeah, intels TIM is crap, rubbish and junk according to that 'scrawny' guy :D

Interestingly, if you check the Haswell club, some guys have got >4.5GHz using AS5/MX-4 etc when Liquid Metal based TIM has 4 times the thermal conductivity so you'd expect more people getting better temps/overclocks with liquid metal TIM? Or Haswell chips are 'pot luck' when it comes to finding one that overclocks!

The chip I've got is an L311B514, googled and seems this might be a duffer for overclocking :cry:

10. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    OK, update time!

Built the system up yesterday. Managed to get the X60 fitted in my HAF932 by using 2 of the middle 120mm fan holes for the 140mm fans then just lining up the other 2 holes with the holes in the top case so it's held by 4 screws in the middle and only one screw at the end as that hole lined up with the X60, it's sturdy and won't drop out!!

Also hit problems due to inadequate research (my fault) as it has NO FLOPPY CONNECTOR!! Didn't realise even after looking at reviews so my fault, I have an external USB floppy so no big loss but I do use the floppy to install older software in either VMWare Player with XP or DOS Box. It also only has 2 onboard USB 2.0 Headers, I needed 3 (2 for front panel USB and 1 for the X60) so just left the X60 unconnected.

Then I powered it up and the VGA Diag LED wouldn't go out so it wouldn't pass POST? Swapped out the 780 for a 460 and it did the same? Pulled the 460 out and used onboard HDMI, same problem?? Tried the BIOS Flashback feature to flash the latest 1205 BIOS but couldn't find ANYTHING on how to use it in the manual and only vague info on ASUS site (used my Bro's PC to find info). Plus, there is NO INFO on what to rename the BIOS once on a FAT32 USB stick, since found out it has to be named Z87ST.CAP, so once it had flashed and rebooted it did bugger all for the problem, even after doing a CMOS CLEAR too!!

For those that want to know how to use the BIOS Flashback, I did this:

1. Formatted a spare 4GB USB stick as FAT32.
    2. Downloaded the latest SABERTOOTH-Z87 BIOS from ASUS (currently 1205) and renamed it Z87ST.CAP and copied to the USB drive.
    3. Made sure system powered off but green light LIT on the mobo.
    4. Inserted USB stick into last USB slot under Network connector (has a white line around it going to BIOS Flashback button).
    5. Pressed and HELD the BIOS Flashback button for 3 seconds. It started flashing on/off at that point I let go of the button. The button will keep flashing, then flash a bit faster and eventually stop flashing signalling BIOS flash is complete.
    6. Powered on system as normal.

Mine powered on/off several times but not sure if that was because it was out of the chassis with no drives connected while I was testing it!!

So, back to troubleshooting!! Rang SCAN just to see if there was any issues or known problems with board but none known, but guy said to try it out of the case and test it. Pulled it all to bits and tried it out of the chassis, put board on some wood and tried 1 stick ram, HDMI, 8pin CPU + 24pin ATX, power for X60 and it BOOTED? (but powered on/off several times as mentioned). So something was shorting it out in the case but couldn't see anything? Built it all back up again and the bastard thing now works? Using it to type this post up.

So now I'm installing updates/software and getting it to a stage where I can make a backup. Once I've done that I'll have to sit and start reading about overclocking and what to change in the BIOS as it's full of stuff I've not seen before!! Using the TIM on the X60 so will see what temps do when stressed, if getting silly temps then might get some coollabs liquid ultra and see what that does.

So it's working now but won't start messing about until I'm confident of what I'm doing, so going to run it at stock and get some gaming in to see what it does temp/performance wise then decide what to do.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Motherboards haven't come with floppy ports in years.

You should be able to install your files from a flash drive, but if not the Sabertooth can emulate USB drives as floppy.
    With flash drive plugged in go to Boot Options and select USB Force Floppy. (if needed).

Is the card in top pci slot?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  12. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Now you tell me, it's been years since I bought a mobo!!

If I have trouble with the USB Floppy I have I'll try that method. Can't test the floppy is I left it in my laptop bag at work :(

Yes, also tried it in 2nd slot and the same thing happened. But seeing as a rebuild sorted the problem I can't determine what caused the VGA error??

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Ah OK didn't realize you fixed it....