Windows 8 #2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by hallryu, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I had Win7 on two machines and upgraded both to Win8, one after the other. I really liked Win7 but I like 8 better. It seems to be faster, more efficient, has the "nicer" default applications installed and there's nothing missing from 7 I could miss.
    I wouldn't have paid large amounts of money for such an upgrade but as it was quite cheap there was little restraint to do it :)

2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Stay on topic.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Please stop now Legendary_Agent..

4. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    How do you add a quick launch for Internet explorer on you desktop. The only options I can find is to pin it to start, and it won't let me drag it from the tool bar? How do you make the color of the windows boarder transparent like your tool bar?

Anyone notice the words and letters that windows 8 displays are all jagged? There not sharp like in vista. Is there anyway to smooth them out or is it the grafix driver?

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Go to the file location and make a shortcut to your desktop. Search for it via metro and open the file from there.

Not seeing any display issues you are having.

6. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Thank you. Well, I was digging around with personal settings. I came accross some setting for the way words are presented. Ever since I accidentally changed it I think it hasn't looked the same. It was a setting called clear text or something like that? Does that ring a bell?

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Same as with Win 7. It should be turned on by default. Turning it off makes the text look, blurred.

You can also search for 'clear text, in metro. It will be under settings. Below the search bar.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  8. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Ok I'll try that tonight once I'm home. I'm coming from vista. I never got to see widows 7. I think I might have de selected that feature. Thanks for your insight! Appreciate it.

OK.. What's the deal? I'm watching a quick video in youtube on how to enable transparency with the boarders of the windows.. But the guy says to select the boarder color and then select transparency? But I don't have a transparency button on my version of windows 8. I'm running windows 8 pro. My toolbar at the bottom is transparent, I don't know how I got that to work :/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  9. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    windows 8 calendar and google calendar keeps insisting that today is my birthday.

I keep telling it next month on the 12 but it keeps changing back feb 12.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Your time, date and location are all correct?

Are you using an online Microsoft account to log into your pc?

11. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I was able to finally get it keep the settings. I think the problem was with the calendar was my phone keeping the settings

12. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    An interesting story, for christmas my mom got a laptop loaded with Windows 8, and we had an interesting chat about it, as at first she didn't like the change, etc (as did most). But in the end her words were, "once I messed around with it more, the more I learned I can still do all the same things I used to." Honestly, I agree as I can do all the things I used to and more. But for someone who had never used any of the developer previews, consumer previews etc, to actually take the plunge to Windows 8, and end up liking it is pretty amazing, especially when her BF was like "I'm gonna go get a copy of Windows 7 and load it on there."

13. doublee

doublee Guest

GPU:
    GTX 690 with 100/100/500
    I wasn't planning to install W8 as I have W7 but, I couldn't resist to buy the low cost upgrade before the price jump.
    The upgrade was surprisingly smooth with fewer than expected 'hickups'.

Have been running W8 for 2 weeks now and only can regret that I didnt buy more upgrade packs...

I have read a lot of negative views about W8 here and I must say that I was also very sceptical at first but now I find W8 to be better than W7, I'm going to install W8 on my other comps as well.

14. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    if you guys use bluestacks for running your android apps on windows 8. newer version out on
    www.getyourappsback.com

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Quite a few new updates for Windows 8.

Dammit.. I should have read what they were *___*

Did anyone read what they were?

*edit* Got it.. the average security updates, then IE10 update, flash player update... and.. a few more.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

16. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    New version of Oblytile released for Windows 8.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1899865
    Man I love the new quit to start option, finally I can make all my desktop games act like metro games and swap strait back to the metro interface after I exit them.

Just tested it on a bunch of games and it works pretty well, has a few issues with steam games though (but I can work around it).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  17. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    I have a stellar idea ! just came to me how easy it can be to duel boot both win 7 and 8 ! dam I am a genius !

18. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    What would be the point? Win 8 does everything Win 7 can, as good or in some cases better. Why bother duel booting? After using Win 8 since release (and before with the dev preview, etc.) on all of my systems I just don't see a reason to have or need Win 7. Everything I do or need to do works great in Win 8, that includes basic everyday tasks, gaming, and music production/recording. But I can understand if someone does something that doesn't work so well in Win 8 as of yet. Haters and whiners can talk all the crap they want, but none of that is going to change the FACT that Windows 8 is a very solid, stable, functional and easily usable OS.

19. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Not everything works in Windows 8. For instance the powercolor graphic program doesn't work and neither does Sandisk's program for updating the mp3-players firmware.

20. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

That is why I mentioned if something doesn't currently work, it makes sense. Again, there is no rush to upgrade for anyone. Win 7 is a fantastic OS in it's own right. On the same hand, so is Windows 8, with the exception of those remaining issuses with certain programs. But that is something that is expected with a new OS, nothing new there. But I'd say at this point, probably around 95% of the software that runs well on Win 7 will run as well if not better on Win 8.