LG Nexus 4 thoughts?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Bentez, Mar 1, 2013.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    We're assuming that the GS4 is coming out in April, it is likely to come out in May like the SGS II and SGS III.

deltatux

2. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    I finally gotten my hands on my N4 and I love it. I tried a few roms including PA but actually for the moment I'm really liking XenonHD w/ Trinity kernel. (thanks for the suggestion Deltatux)

Its super smooooth. Too soon to tell about the battery life just yet. I have better H+ reception through my city than with the S3 as well.

The N4 is easily the best Android handset I've used to date, cant wait to finish work so I can play with it some more!

3. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Well it gets announced on March 14th, so I doubt they will announce it now if it wasn't coming out a month later.

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Yes it is

iam sure Samsung S4 will be a good phone but its size etc wont be a good pocket and hand friendly device.

N4 is amazing. one hand operation is easy, powerful and efficient device great!

5. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Franco's Kernel is really quite amazing for battery life and undervolting does help to reduce heat. If you don't like fiddling with the software then I don't really understand why you're on these forums (it's for tech enthusiasts surely?). I'm not trying any ROMs yet as I think they need a little more time to mature but Paranoid android definitely looks like it's worth a try.

6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    is it easy to do that KERNEL thing? wish some of you guys show me a link and easy guide :)

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm a practical tech enthusiast.

Which means, I don't see the need to void my device's warranty and it's ability to function at listed parameters just to cover up a flaw with the shipping device, and then say that all is fine.

The Nexus 4 is not fine, it is a flawed device just like any other. It does get too hot (my device's back just reached a scorching 50 degrees Celsius yesterday, I have a picture to prove it), that is not ok. The fact that the back glass is sensitive to heat changes and can break under such normal changes is not OK. The fact that there is crackling sometimes in calls (Nexus 4's fault, I tried other devices) is not OK. The fact that the earpeice produces a noticeable buzzing sound is not OK.

Stop making excuses for major flaws in a device, it should not be happening and should definitely not be waved away in a flagship device. If this device was an Apple device you guys would be all over it raging about how sh!t it is.

EDIT: Here is the screenshot of how how the damn thing gets, tell me this is normal. The only things I had running at the time were Waze and TuneIn Radio:
    [​IMG]

I took this picture because the damned thing was burning my hand and I had to wait a good few minutes in the car for the thing to cool down so I could pocket it and leave.

I'm having a gigantic case shipped now so I don't have to burn my hand anymore with this thing.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  8. dave11

dave11 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX6800M
    Just like to point out that i have none of those issues you mentioned apart from the heat and i solved that by flashing a custom kernel and all is fine here (revision 1 device aswell).

For the record im using CM10.1 (or Stock) and _motley kernel.

Dave

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Turn on the screen, put your head next to the phone and you will hear buzzing.

Put your hot phone down on a cool ceramic or marble tabletop, enjoy the spiderweb back.

10. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    That why I will stay with my GSM Galaxy Nexus until the next Google Nexus phone comes out. I really hope in this year Google I/O they show partnership with Sony in the next Nexus line up yum.

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    I will look a guide to how to use franko kernel on my n4.

I hope it wont require me to use another rom.

Can I use Franco Kernel on the Stock Rom?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  12. dave11

dave11 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX6800M
    I have and I don't have any buzzing at all.

I have a bumper that stops all the scratches and that would also stop any sliding around or cracking.

Dave

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I only have the screen-on buzzing, but then I remembered, whenever I'm on call, the screen is off, so it doesn't really bug me. I might exchange my device in the summer, but honestly, it's not bad, most people don't put their ears on their earpiece unless they're on a call, and when you're on a call your screen should shut off anyways.

deltatux

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I agree, which is why I haven't returned the damn thing yet. But it is a serious flaw nonetheless (which is heavily apparent during skype calls).

15. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    By the way, if anyone wants a really good case, check this out:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ionic-GUARDIAN-Armor-Google-Nexus/dp/B00A06Z41E

Just had it arrive the other day, it definitely improves the feel and grip of the fun, while actually making it feel much more secure and not even adding much thickness at all.

Definitely improved the phone in my opinion.

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I have the case and it's a bit of a lint-magnet, not gonna lie lol.

deltatux

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    In my opinion, this case makes the phone feel a whole different league better; Google should have just shipped this with the phone (come on, how much can it possibly cost them?).

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    guys please help.

i rooted my phone by using Nexus Root tool.

i downloaded kernel files of franco which are boot-M1.img and franco.Kernel-Milestone.1.zip files

how to put this kernel in the phone please?

edit: done that too..but..how do i make it work? is it working by itself?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  19. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I agree that it's a great case, only if you don't mind it being a lint magnet :p

You need to flash the zip with CWM or TWRP.

deltatux

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Man, the heat from this phone is starting to really piss me off.

I'm even feeling the heat through that massive case (though nowhere the level of where it was before).