Arma 2 Vs Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising, which would you choose and why?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Deleted member 216176, Apr 26, 2010.

1. proliferazor

proliferazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7950
    someone said arma 2 was a codemasters game that is totally incorrect, bohemia interactive made arma 2. Its a nice simulator though it has is't problems. Dragon rising is just down right aweful so much that the multiplayer died just weeks after release and codemasters dropped all support (patches and technical support) for the game within a 2-3 months of release, yes its that bad, some say the singleplayer is alright but i wouldn't know I just bought it for the mutli and i feel i got ripped off severely. Arma 2 tho i defiantly got my monies worth from it.

also Arma 2 has a scripting envirnment that makes pretty much anything possible mod wise, you can code inside the game to create some really cool stuff, theres RPG mods like the cops and robbers mod Chenarus life Revolution. And city life is supposed to be released soon.

2. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    I have both and just so u know I still play Arma 2 so whats that say...

3. haha good to know i made the right choice. So what ingame settings do you use to run this game?

4. proliferazor

proliferazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7950
    all low :p

and i have a decent system

5. yeah i can see that a 3.4Ghz quad and gtx295 - maybe its the VMEM holding you back? 768Mb per gpu. It'd be interesting to see a 1gb 5870 vs 2gb 5870 with this game because my 5850's are performing like crap with this game. Every other game is absolutely fine - arma2 is the new benchmark lol

Maybe I'll try going somewhere thats graphically intensive, turn all settings to low and then raise settings one by one untill i find a happy medium.

6. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    You should definitely install the 1.05 patch + the Eagle Wing Hotfix, it brings along new stuff and a new mini campaign that is really cool. Also includes a lot of fixes and does increase the performance too.

http://www.arma2.com/support/updates/folder.html?lang=en

edit

My settings:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  7. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I didn't like either and couldn't play them for more than 15 minutes. I hate having to download large patches to fix beta bugs the devs were too lazy to fix before release. I'd say, out of the box, that neither game are ready for release.

8. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    I have both. Arma 2 is a better game in every way. Finish it and replay it couple of times. Dragon Rising I played it 4 hours and then uninstall. Didn't liked it at all.

9. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    You don't like patches??? Get a console then. Lazy!!! you go and create a game then.

Eagle Wing Campaign is very good. I finish it 3 times.

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i played and finished Dragon rising with my friends COOP ..but never played the third level of ARMA 2 lol..But that doesnt mean ARMA 2 is bad..everyone has different taste so, as DS is more arcade, i can say arma 2 is more serious..but hey, DR has all kind of warfare realism such as realistic bullet behavior or enemy AI acts not bad.

11. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    I have both and shelved both for different reasons. Arma ii ran like dog turd on my rig but just gave it another go and it is much improved. I will be able to give better feedback after next round of upgrades. As for dragon rising that game was a turd an I never finished past the second mission. Arma ii has outstanding long term support and I have seen tons of updates to get the game to run better and the community is large and great with tons of mods. Long term arma ii hands down!

12. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I don't mind patches at all, as long as the game is playable to start with.

Arma II consisted of three shades of grey and OPDR was unplayable because I kept getting stuck behind rocks all the time. These are well reported and documented bugs because the games simply weren't ready for release but were pushed out anyway.

I've downloaded patch 1.05 and am going to give Arma II another chance, if I can be bothered. That's the extent of my experience with these games.

13. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    belive it or not but since upgrading to windows 7 64-bit my arma2 install is now maxed out @1680x1050. frames range between 45 on some servers and 75-80 on others. going 64bit was probably the best and most noticable upgrade for me in a long time.

14. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    I think you saw a driver issue get fixed the game is a 32bit app so it can't address more than 2gb of ram. But kudos to having the game run better for you none the less.

15. yeah im running 7 x64 Ultimate and noticed the game installed directly into program files (most games install into program files x86) so i thought it must be a x64 app but i guess not.

The games still running pretty bad even with the latest patch. I might have to look at tweaking this game to get the best performance out of it. I'm really critical when it comes to fps lol...

Makes me think this game doesn't use crossfire coz surely dual 5850s is enough gfx grunt, if anything my phenoms not providing enough power for them.