1rst DSLR Help needed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by mameira, Jul 28, 2014.

1. mameira

mameira Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    Hello,

I want to buy my girlfriend a DSLR because she is going to study Photography in jannuary

None of us know anything about cameras and I want to buy her one for her birthday, I need help because I don't want to overspend money or buy a crappy one.

She is going to use it for the course and later on to take photographies in a studio(?) so I don't really care if the camera is complicated since she will learn to use it during her trainning.

Money is not a problem but I don't want to waste it either ( kinda like buying a 4690k instead of a 4770k for gaming, there might be a difference but its not worth the extra $100 )

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    First off, what is your budget? I know you said money don't matter, but for the sake of it, lets just establish the max your willing to spend.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Any entry level dslr will do just fine. Trust me. Pick something from Canon, Nikon or Sony, you really can't go wrong. When buying DSLR, I'd suggest looking into what lenses you'll potentially use and look into their cost before buying the body. I would personally go for a Canon 5D mk3.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Holy sh!t. IF that;s an entry level camera, I'd hate to see the price on a professional model. :D

My first DSLR was a Cannon T3i. It came in a bundle package with 2 lenses. My wife uses it more than I do, but the photos it takes look fantastic. Here's the link I bought it from.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital...=1406605461&sr=1-4&keywords=cannon+t3i+bundle

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014

5. mameira

mameira Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    I'll say my budget would be around 600-700, camera and lens

6. Alec**

Alec** Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5850 1GB H²0
    Perhaps something like a Canon 600D / 650D? Just spent ~£400 upgrading to a (second hand) 600D + a Canon 17-85mm, well worth it!

7. mameira

mameira Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
  8. Alec**

Alec** Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5850 1GB H²0
  9. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

5D3 is not a entry level camera.
    I would go with a 6d if you want full frame low action, or with the 7D2 coming out soon, a 7d or 70d if you want crop sensor.
    Granted, none of them are entry level exactly.
    Canon mind you. Nik I do not use.

Honestly though, the camera is just a tool. If you have the skills, that is what make the most difference.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    He said money no problem :)

11. ainwee

ainwee Guest

GPU:
    Trust me. Pick something from Canon, Nikon or Sony, you really can't go wrong. When buying DSLR, I'd suggest looking into what lenses you'll potentially use and look into their cost before buying the body. I would personally go for a Canon 5D mk3.???

12. uberdruid

uberdruid Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 7900
    I am not sure what $600-$700 buys in Venezuela but here is my take.

Most entry level DSLRs will likely be fine to learn with. Even with a kit lens it's enough to get started.

My first camera was a Canon 350d with a kit lens and at the time it was great.

The big cost to photography won't be your first body. It's going to eventually be the lenses.

My bag generally has about $5K of gear in it and the body is only about $2K of that.

Once you start buying lenses, unless at some point you really want to take the plunge and sell all your gear to switch brands, you are kind of locked in with your investment.

If I had to choose though, say for my wife, I honestly would take a step up and go with the 70D. It's a cropped sensor but still a hell of a camera and I wouldn't even discount a decent AF system considering how **** the AF system is on my 6D. I love the wireless of the 6D too which the 70D also has.

Still, that is likely to blow your budget I would think and my earlier point stands. An entry level DSLR (someone mentioned Sony Nikon or Canon and I would agree) would be fine.

13. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015