Leaked BIOS easily turns Radeon HD 7970 into GHz Edition

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Lane, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Someone in the driver thread said that he had voltage control after flashing. But I don't know how? I *DID* notice that the voltage sliders seem to affect the 1000 mhz voltage, which is a speed I *rarely* see the card at. I've only seen the 1000 mhz speed when on some menus or scrolling windows around on the desktop, and only *BRIEFLY* and *ONLY* with overdrive disabled. But the clock sliders and overdrive both affect the "Boost" voltage (aka 3D voltage). So I have no idea how to get the card to use the 1000 mhz voltage and speeds or how to make the voltage sliders affect the boost voltage instead.

2. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    Ghost i know you said your voltage control is working what program are you using? Cause when it goes into boost its only has 1.149 from 1.093. And how to you disable the boost?

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    1st Batch of Sapphire HD 7970

My status: Card in 1st PCIe slot. HD3000 disabled via bios.
    Saved both original bios files from card. Compared and they were exactly same.
    Checked GHz bios file for differences, serial, date. Looked as usual.
    Flashed. Rebooted. System found new VGA, had to reboot again. All ok. Test results:
    GPU jumps based on temp 1000-1050MHz; Mem constant 1500MHz.
    Volatage/Amp behavior exactly same as before. Sapphire used low quality transistors or power phases.
    When load starts temperature is 50°C, voltage is 1.105V and 80A going through.
    With full load card goes slowly to 82°C, voltage drops linear to 1.076V and current goes linear up to 116A.

If we take efficiency at 55°C as 100%, then it goes to 72% at 80°C.
    With this behavior it is wise to keep card cool. It's time for me to get accelero :) Update: Accelero on the way.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  4. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I'm using Overdrive with Afterburner.

I didn't really "disable" Boost, I actually just never saw it work. But I got the voltage bump and clocks from the BIOS.

5. Newbie2012

Newbie2012 Active Member

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 8GB-CustomLoop
    I managed to flash a ref sapphire and HIS card but neither will give me voltage control with new bios. I think there are different memory timings on the GHZ Bios as can overclock the memory a lot more and strangely enough I can adjust the memory voltage. Core volts will not move though.

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Not this memory timings thing again.

7. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    Flash my sapphire 7970 ref card (a BBA card) few days ago, dunno if voltage control working or not as I didn't try it, but the "power control setting" in CCC overdrive working.

8. sunn

sunn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Seems weird, flashes ok, but screen is stuck on the boot loading. I can login and launch itunes blind, or boot into safe mode ok... oh well i guess

(+) remote dsektop in.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  9. xNAPx

xNAPx Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7970 Lightning
    i would like to know if there is a way to overclock the card just edititng the bios with a hex editor

10. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    how are my chances on successfull flash?
    i got Gigabyte 7970 OC, one that has windforce cooler
    this one ----------> my 7970
    i can reach 1150 core and 1550 memory with 1.180 ( i guess micro volts? ) on core. so, GHZ bios may bring more OC support?

11. Mr.Bad.Man.Jay

Mr.Bad.Man.Jay Member Guru

GPU:
    2X Sapphire HD7970 3G OC
    I don't see the point in flashing when you can OC so far on reference card's.
    I have a pair of Sapphire HD7970 3G OC edition 950/1000Mhz 5700/5800Mhz Memory the cards a very much reference with the exception of the dual x cooler..

I put these puppies on water because it gets dame hot in AUS and I was having heat issues with my HD4890's in CFX the bottom card's proximity to the top card cause the top card to cook no matter how good the case air flow was (The 4890's where zelman cooled and yes I do run a clean dust free rig)

Back on topic these cards run 1Ghz on the second BIOS standard and have no trouble hitting the 1.3G mark with the Memory at 6Ghz, 1.2G was easy with the stock dual x cooler on a single card I used Sapphire's Trixx to OC the cards and it seams the clocks are kept even after a shut-down restart without having trixx load with Win7 every time..

FWIW I have settled on 1.2G core, 5800Mhz Mem 1.25Vcore for both cards, Max temp furmark 46c @ 22c ambient on EK Full cover water block's

I think with results like that flashing the Bios is a risk not worth taking ;)

12. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    My U3011 A08 will sometime wake up with a black screen, this seems fixed by the GHz bios, but another U3011 A05 still have this problem, just much less often.

13. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    I have two of the sapphire 7970 reference models, (SAPPHIRE 21197-00-40G), and put the GHz Edition bios as the second bios. Ran about the same as the original bios. The only benefit I found was in CCC where I could run my overclock past 1125/1575. I still had to use TRIXX to increase voltage. I still have the bios loaded but I'm back to using the original bios and running at 1225/1650 @ 1.187v with TRIXX.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  14. Mr.Bad.Man.Jay

Mr.Bad.Man.Jay Member Guru

GPU:
    2X Sapphire HD7970 3G OC
    Woa 1.87V are you trying to kill the card
    I hope that's a typo..

15. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    YIKES!!! Good catch. Should have been 1.187v. Editing now.:grin2:

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I can OC farther on stock voltage, this BIOS isn't just a core clock increase friend. It's power handling is more efficient as well.

But from what I've seen all over the web, is this BIOS has more success on standard stock reference models, with NO drivers installed while flashing.

If custom PCB cards out there have the BIOS switch, it's definitely recommended to do this on switch 1, and leave stock BIOS on switch 2. All I can say is it worked 100% for me this way.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  17. plywood99

plywood99 Guest

I bought the Diamond reference card yesterday, flashed it this morning with the GHZ bios. It's running like a dream. I just closed all other programs, ran the flash and restarted pc. Upon bootup Win8 recognized the card as a GHZ edition and installed driver.

Microcenter has the Diamond for $386, plus i had a 2 year plan on my old gtx 460 which knocked $160$ off that price.

So I got a 7970 GHZ edition $226 total. :nerd:

18. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    After reading so many positive posts about this bios I thought I'd give it another go. I'm glad I did. Turns out I can do 1225/1650 without using TRIXX's voltage controller. One less app to fool with. :>)

These are the settings I use for Fallout New vegas with the 4-part LARGE NMCs texture pack. All ingame settings are maxed and resolution is at 2560 x 1600. The bios seems to control the voltage better thus helping to keep the heat down. Can't say enough about the Accelero Xtreme coolers in keeping the heat and the noise down tho.

After about 1 1/2 hour of play:
    [​IMG]
    By jaxmacfl at 2012-08-13

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You don't need Trixx to adjust volts, it can be done by editing the CCC profiles .xml file.

This way the voltage will only be applied in 3D mode unlike Trixx which forces 3D volts even if GPU is idle.

20. plywood99

plywood99 Guest

Do explain please.