MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Don't know, if it is just a GUI limitation, you could try to edit the value for VideoCaptureFramerate in Profiles/MSIAfterburner.cfg and test, if it captures at higher framerate.

2. KeenJammin

KeenJammin Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It doesn't seem to be a GUI limitation. I changed it to 144, made the file read-only and tried recording. It was still only 120fps.

3. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Certainly you closed MSI&RTSS before changing and saving, right?

If so, only unwinder can do something.

4. KeenJammin

KeenJammin Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Yes I closed both before changing and saving. I am really hoping Unwinder can include >120fps recording in a future MSI Afterburner / RTSS.

5. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    This https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2530949&p=1 is happening to me with afterburner.

A quick google will show several posts with the same issue but no definitive solution.

I've been restarting my pc every time it happens but it's a major pain. No idea what's shared between the two softwares that could cause this but at seemingly random (I can now tell cause my games start running bad and eventually freeze) my temp limit gets ignored and temp goes up up up. A restart of the pc and it's back to normal.

Any takers? Cutoff at 80c and since I keep afterburners monitor open I often catch it before it passes 90 but it's worrisome and problematic.

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

If you think a bit, you can clearly conclude that it is not related to software.

7. djmorgan

djmorgan Guest

GPU:
    1 X MSI GTX 1080ti X
    I do like the ability to have the OSD in different profiles, I have it set from 1 to 5 zero OSD to max data, so far works great in games with hotkeys

8. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    I guess i must not be thinking then. Goes without saying everyone appreciates your work on a vast scale but no need to be snide. A lot of people have found a resolution by changing from one to the other or vice versa.

the more helpful response would have been "its not related to software, its related to xxx" and offering up a solution if one is even possible.

I mean if its hardware related it would affect everyone with the same cards or running the same os as mine and EVGA 1080 FE i reckon is quite popular. As is windows 10 CE (for better or worse lol)

That being said, coincidental, optimism, whatever you'd like to call it - its early and preliminary but by upgrading from beta 10 to beta 12 seems to have solved the issue.

To be fair, it often cropped up after the monitors woke from sleep and theyve started not going to sleep based on god knows what so we shall see.

9. djmorgan

djmorgan Guest

GPU:
    1 X MSI GTX 1080ti X
    Bug or not!
    Latest beta AB

The monitoring item CPU Clock does not read data like AIDA or other monitoring software, just seems to max our as per this image

[​IMG]

If on the other hand, I select a single core then monitoring is as expected

[​IMG]

Reloaded AB and RTSS no improvement.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  10. Unwinder

It was clearly documented in development thread what is shown on CPU clock and temperature graphs. It is NOT enough to see just a single core value to predict expected result because it shows the maximum across all cores. Also I repeated a few times what kind of functionality is CPU monitoring in AB and that any demands to change it or add support for a different hw will be ignored, and explained why. Please start reading.

11. djmorgan

djmorgan Guest

GPU:
    1 X MSI GTX 1080ti X
    Okay sorry!

Is there a single place for documentation or just forum pages?

Release notes are disjointed at best.

Beta forum is locked and not available.

12. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    GPU and memory controller usage still stuck at 16 and 100% for me at all times

13. pangeltveit

pangeltveit Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780ti SC AC Hybrid
    Hiya,

Running 4.4.0 Beta 12, my Overclock is not applied automatically, even if I set it to apply on startup.
    The interface shows that its applied, but monitoring shows that its not applied, if I click on the active profile (save 1) and click apply, the Overclock will activate.

14. specialkone

specialkone Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080TIOC
    This is one terrific website. I always read the great hardware and gaming reviews. Thought I would join the forum to specifically give Unwinder and Guru3D a huge thanks for the work on MSI AB and Rivatuner.

I have been so frustrated with EVGA's XOC OSD. Time Spy crashes with it enabled (typically Asus Z170 MB), I lose the custom fan curve after setting back to aggressive, with the latest XOC versions I can't even move the OSD and can't change the font. It doesn't show CPU load, doesn't work in Vulcan, Uplay nor UWP games.

I kept my ACX (not ICX) cooling so AB controls all fans. Switched to AB and RTSS for good. It and the OSD are incredible. Thank you so much. I can't post a youtube link yet to show AB and the OSD working flawlessly in Doom Vulcan, but it does.

I will never buy a GPU that AB and RTSS doesn't fully support.

15. realmister

realmister New Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 6750 XT
    Logged in just to say that I have the same problem. The radio button is selected, but I can't unselect it.

16. Unwinder

Peek into the release notes and use search, it was discussed _many_ times. Startup profile is now also protected by "Lock profiles" button, you cannot change startup profile when profiles modification is locked.

17. Darr

Darr Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Armor OC
  18. Unwinder

Please peek into documentation, it is by design and it was introduced in v1.4.0 about 8 years ago. It is clearly reflected in the release notes.

19. samjankus

samjankus Guest

GPU:
    Sapph R9 Nitro/MSI RX480
    Bug in MSI Afterburner with mixed cards

Well sheeit... I just realized the comments in MSI Afterburner are explicit about support when using unofficial overclocking. Oh well, I'm going to post anyway, maybe someone can help.

I upgraded my PC and turned it into a pet mining machine with 2 AMD cards. Here's the specs

PSU: EVGA 850W
    MOBO: MSI Z170A Gaming M5
    CPU: Intel Celeron G3930
    RAM: Crucial 8GB Ram

Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro Tri-X 4GB OC
    MSI Radeon RX 480 Armor OC 4GB

Anyway, I can't overclock in normal mode. I raise the threshold and apply and the actual frequencies don't change, so I try unofficial overclocking mode. It boots, but the gui shows that Afterburner has now applied and enforces the max limits from the R9 onto the RX480. The core and mem clock freqs are much lower on the R9.

So the RX480 is stuck at much lower thresholds. That's a bug in Afterburner right? Oh well... I guess I'm screwed. I supposed I could try swapping the card positions on the mobo or adding a second dummy hdmi plug or something.

Anyone have any idea from the software side?

Any help would be greatly appreciated if not monetarily rewarding. :grin2:

20. Darr

Darr Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Armor OC
    Ah-ha I see it now on page 23 of 24 pages. Sorry, I've only been using AB since this spring when I upgraded my HD5850 with a locked core to the MSI Armor that was overclockable. I've got lots of reading to catch up on. Keep up the good work.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.