New RivaTunerStatisticsServer is ready, testers wanted!

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Unwinder, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Your choice. And I do and quite confident taht there are no issues from server side with Vantage.

I test it on multiple systems ATI/NV systems including 5770 and 5870 series but not on Crossfire (AMD cannot code drivers properly even for single GPU). And it is just pointless anyway, the server is regular DirectX application so there is ZERO dependence on hardware and zero hardware specific codepaths in it. It should work on any properly implemented DX driver, vendor or single/multi GPU config doesn't matter.

There are explicit notes telling that the server doesn't native 64-bit applications in ALL tools using it (RT, Precision and Afterburner). There are dozens of threads with questions about it and answers in many forums including this one. And furthermore, there are direct question with my reply about 64-bit support roadmap submitted by Nick right on the first page of THIS thread. So start reading please and your issues will get addressed by yourself.

2. Unwinder

Two more items in tested/working games list:

The Witcher
    Mass Effect 2

3. BVALJALO

BVALJALO Member

GPU:
    GB WF GTX670(1337c/7000m)
    Nevermind my earlier observation about Vantage. Turns out I had the RTSS going, but not Afterburner at the time. And sorry to offend you with my lack of reading. I'm glad there's a simple explanation for the phenomenon, and I won't make the same mistake again I'm sure.

4. Unwinder

No problem, main thing is that you've got it working ;) To avoid such situations in future just enable <Show own statistics> in RTSS like it is suggested in the very first posting. This way you'll allow it to display own statistics (i.e. framerate) in OSD even when no client (Afterburner, Precision or RT) is running.

5. Unwinder

Finally found one more old game and 3D engine, where OSD was not rendered properly with 3D mode on. The problem was spotted in Need for speed : Undercover, game engine was sometimes disabling color writes to a frame buffer causing OSD to disappear sometimes (due to some intro movies and when the game was paused). The issue is fixed, beta 7 with a fix will be included in the next beta of MSI Afterburner.
    Also, added a couple more games to tested/working list:

TES IV : Oblivion
    Flatout : Ultimate carnage

6. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    6650 XT 8GB
    The beta5 seems to cause Dragon Age: Origins v1.03 to freeze after a minute or so, where 2.24 does not. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

7. Unwinder

Really doubt that OSD can cause hardware freeze. Chances are close to zero.

8. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    6650 XT 8GB
    Could be some other issue. I just started playing this game today and just installed beta5. I'll keep testing.

9. digital_demon

digital_demon New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    I can confirm that. Just installed the new RTSS 3.7.0 beta 5, launched Dragon Age: Origins with 3D OSD enabled - and yes, the game did freeze after about 2 minutes, and I had to kill it with the task manager. Never had any such issues with RTSS 3.1.0 (the one that came with RivaTuner 2.24). I'm currently using Catalyst 10.3, if that is of any relevance.

Update: I did some more testing, and Dragon Age: Origins always froze after 1-2 minutes of playing with OSD enabled regardless of whether the "On-Screen Display 3D" option in RTSS was set to ON or OFF. The game runs just fine with OSD turned off, so it would appear that OSD is indeed causing the freezes.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  10. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    6650 XT 8GB
    Yeah, after several more hours playing, this seems to be the case. When the Application Level is anything but None, it seems to freeze.

I tried toggling Stealth mode, Display 3D, viewport & framebuffer, on-screen display, and so far it's stable only with none detected.

Win7-64 Pro, Ati 4870 1Gig with 10.3a drivers, all specs in profile.

11. Unwinder

Damn, then it looks like I have to purchase this game today and investigate it.

12. digital_demon

digital_demon New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    Interestingly enough, both I and glutto are running Dragon Age: Origins on Win7 x64 using Catalyst 10.3(a) drivers. And we both have the game updated to 1.03. Is there a pattern emerging here? Anyway, just let me know if you need some additional testing done on my side :)

BTW, could you comment on another issue that appears to be RTSS-related? Since my recent upgrade to HD5870, I've noticed that Hardware Acceleration monitoring graph in RivaTuner which uses RTSS as data provider does not properly register termination of DX11 applications. I.e. when I exit from a DX9 or DX10 game, the HW Acceleration graph immediately drops from "1" to "0" just as it should, but when I exit from DX11 apps (so far I've seen it with Metro 2033 and Unigine Heaven benchmark), the graph stays at "1" until I launch/restore/switch to some other application, such as Opera, MS Word etc. (clicking the RivaTuner icon on the taskbar also does the trick). Any insight? Is this RTSS-related at all, or is it the OS/drivers playing some strange tricks in DX11?

13. Unwinder

Just purcahsed official copy of Dragon Age: Origins, updated it to latest 1.03 version and played about a hour with beta 5 and OSD enabled with no issues. I'm also under 64-bit Windows 7 with 5870 and Catalyst 9.12. Don't think that I can do anything more to help you, sorry.

There is no DX11 detection in RT yet.

14. Unwinder

Update: just reproduced freezing problem in one more Dragon Age gaming section. Considering that I see a few overlapping framerate values displayed in OSD after Dragon Age freezing I'd say that most likely Dragon Age rendering engine is multithreaded and it is result of race condition between two threads concurently accessing the OSD. Most likely the issue arise just in this version because of slightly changed OSD timings. Will try to add some race condition preventing protections to the code and see if it helps.

15. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    6650 XT 8GB
    I'm just glad the problem wasn't on my end. Maybe that's not good for you, Unwinder, but still....

I should have included the timings of crashes in a previous post. I wrote them down simply because I had a stopwatch nearby, but didn't include them, probably due to tiredness. I had long periods where it wouldn't crash for up to 18 minutes, short periods of barely 16 seconds, and all points in between. Not really useful anymore, but should have been brought up earlier. ;)

Your software is much appreciated. :thumbup:

16. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I'm getting freezing with Dragon age + Expansion with 1.30 patch with Beta 5 game seems to just freeze if i close Beta5 i have no problems running dragon age. Im running Win7 x64 with the 197.45 drivers. Pc specs at the side.

Tested
    Settlers 7 - Runs fine no issues
    Dragon Age + Exp - Freezes

ill test some more games when i get time.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  17. dante`afk

dante`afk Member

GPU:
    evga gtx 1080 ftw SLI
    just found out that if I`m running afterburner + statistic server or rivatuner + statistic server it pushes my fps down for 5-30% ;F depends on game.

18. ljbade

ljbade New Member

GPU:
    None
  19. SSJPeter

SSJPeter New Member

GPU:
    GTX 470 1280MB
    Please delete this post.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  20. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Hi Unwinder,

Anychance of getting in on the act for testing new rivatuner?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.